Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

View Poll Results: What would you like to see in a comp & scale indoor/outdoor course forum?
Post your own backyard scale/comp courses 163 74.77%
Post spectacular commercial scale/comp courses 110 50.46%
indoor & outdoor scale/comp courses 137 62.84%
tips & tricks on building your own course 175 80.28%
coverage of comps & scale events 72 33.03%
Scale course features, bridges, buildings, signs, ponds, lighting, etc. 146 66.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: New Crawler Course / RC ORV Park forum? Any Interest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastokinematic View Post
I have seen some model train layouts that would make a man crap! I have been watching youtube and see these folks tearing it up ORV parks in New Mexico, Utah, Tennessee, Arkansas. These are just a few really nice places for the 1:1s to play. I want to make scale Lions back, or tobacco twister, or full throttle hill, Warpath..

Lets get a thread going!
I actually had the same ideas, I know a few people that are really into model trains and they have all kinds of terrain and weathering tips.
also I have a few playlists saved on youtube of rock crawling and trail runs of some pretty well known spots and they have given me lots of ideas id love to incorporate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilinside View Post
Micro course, Great Stuff Spray foam and cardboard boxes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzwlGpy7uAg
Looks like its come along nicely! is that a more recent pic? it seems bigger than the pic you posted B4
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Awesome, glad to see this picking up.
speed ghilliesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

I think anyone who really wants this needs to add a link to their sig so others will eventually find this thread. also would be a good idea to add "RCORV park" so people will pick up on it and start calling it that instead of "course" it should help with the searches and give more relevant results
Old 08-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

I tried, non star holders can't link and have to have shorter threads though. Hopefully they'll be unlazy enough to copy n paste.
speed ghilliesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #85
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
I think anyone who really wants this needs to add a link to their sig so others will eventually find this thread. also would be a good idea to add "RCORV park" so people will pick up on it and start calling it that instead of "course" it should help with the searches and give more relevant results
Yea, I started putting that in mine to bring people over to the thread. I think a lot of people would support the idea if they knew what was out there & what people were doing and the potential of what someone is going to do eventually, which is to build some scale course that will blow you away. "RC ORV park" catches peoples attention more than "backyard course" I think.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

P.S. Thanks to everyone for helping to spread the word & good cause. Keeps me from giving up on the idea.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #87
Rock Stacker

Got it in mine also...
vette66_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

been trying to spread the word in my sig also
all_scaled_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
Yea, I started putting that in mine to bring people over to the thread. I think a lot of people would support the idea if they knew what was out there & what people were doing and the potential of what someone is going to do eventually, which is to build some scale course that will blow you away. "RC ORV park" catches peoples attention more than "backyard course" I think.
Though it makes sense seeing yours is what made me decide to do it. I have a feeling this wont happen if just a few people ask for it. we need to get the word out...the words being RCORV park lol.
The fact is it benefits everyone here. if people have more places to crawl it brings more people to it and keeps those already in crawling more often. it also would clean up the other forums .
Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

i put it in my sig as well...

old photos, but i'm thinking what else i can do to make my course a little more extreme...i already have my cliff over the waterfall, but its a bit easy now since i changed the setup of my truck...maybe wire bridge over the pond?!? gimme ideas RCORV enthusiasts!

nosyajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosyajg View Post
i put it in my sig as well...

old photos, but i'm thinking what else i can do to make my course a little more extreme...i already have my cliff over the waterfall, but its a bit easy now since i changed the setup of my truck...maybe wire bridge over the pond?!? gimme ideas RCORV enthusiasts!
Wire bridges over the pond? Sounds extreme to me. If nothing else, a little incentive to pay attention.

I actually saw your thread a while back & made me re think my bridges. I had been making them with more scale approaches so trucks would look more scale crossing them but it got boring driving them so... after seeing your little "bridge" & noticing that it would be tricky to get around it without falling, I made my next bridge harder to drive with turns & drops, etc.:

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #92
Rock Crawler

Nice photos guys!!!
I have 6 more tons of rock being delivered today.
Looking forward to some new crawls!!
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Wire bridges over the pond? Sounds extreme to me. If nothing else, a little incentive to pay attention.

I actually saw your thread a while back & made me re think my bridges. I had been making them with more scale approaches so trucks would look more scale crossing them but it got boring driving them so... after seeing your little "bridge" & noticing that it would be tricky to get around it without falling, I made my next bridge harder to drive with turns & drops, etc.:
your bridges came out looking nice...i have a small one that i offset the planks to make it a bit more challenging, but it's still too easy to get over...

i also make a "rock" bridge where just 2 lines of rocks separate your truck from the flowing water...cant see it too well in this pic, but it's between the bridge and seashell (where are plants are)...i have since removed the plants from that spot...(actually, you can see it in the first pic also)...

my truck used to have a hard time negotiating my cliff, since the holes in the platforms would just let a tire drop, and that was it...no getting out...i limited the suspension a bit and changed tires and although it's still a challenge, it's much easier than before...still a butt-clenching moment when i'm on it though, since my truck isnt waterproof...but to me, that's what makes it fun...

and i'm also still awaiting more rocks to come available...the concrete rubble is too easy to get over...

i also want to get a stronger pond pump for the top pond so the water flow is a bit stronger...i was thinking of plumbing in the water from the pond below, but to get it to flow back to where it's supposed to go would be a bit more work...

Last edited by nosyajg; 08-30-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

Love the pond too. That's on high on my list but my budget doesn't match my ideas unfortunatly.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
but my budget doesn't match my ideas unfortunatly.
my problem as welll..lol...
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
my problem as welll..lol...
same here.
all_scaled_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #97
Rock Crawler

Quote:
your bridges came out looking nice...i have a small one that i offset the planks to make it a bit more challenging, but it's still too easy to get over...

i also make a "rock" bridge where just 2 lines of rocks separate your truck from the flowing water...cant see it too well in this pic, but it's between the bridge and seashell (where are plants are)...i have since removed the plants from that spot...(actually, you can see it in the first pic also)...

my truck used to have a hard time negotiating my cliff, since the holes in the platforms would just let a tire drop, and that was it...no getting out...i limited the suspension a bit and changed tires and although it's still a challenge, it's much easier than before...still a butt-clenching moment when i'm on it though, since my truck isnt waterproof...but to me, that's what makes it fun...

and i'm also still awaiting more rocks to come available...the concrete rubble is too easy to get over...

i also want to get a stronger pond pump for the top pond so the water flow is a bit stronger...i was thinking of plumbing in the water from the pond below, but to get it to flow back to where it's supposed to go would be a bit more work...
Very nice!!!
Looks like a lot of fun.
Norcal_GIT_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

a little challenge i did for myself today...get around one of the pillars for the cliff on the pond side...no safety nets, no strings...and no waterproofing on my truck...

usually i do this, but i always stay close in case it drops a bit too far for my comfort and i can catch it before it goes for a swim...but this time i didnt...and unfortunately, my steering servo just started to crap out on me on this run...you can notice it doesnt turn right very well anymore...cant hear it in the vid, but it's making some ugly grinding noises when i turn it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA_zyQh3b4U
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

That waterfall is awsome. I thought it was of you takin' a swim & I was trying to watch for the moment it went over. I think a pond would really add to my park. maybe next tax return, LOL.

I just had a friend give me a Goldberg Eagle 2 trainer kit. More insentive to make a pond. I've wanted to get a float plane & build a little scale dock on a pond & keep the float plane tied up at the dock. It's a 63" wingspan so it's probably a bit larger than 10 scale but as long as the scale nazis don't come, I'll be ok.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

reading it again, it does sound like it went for a dip...i meant to emphasize i didnt stand right next to it...

usually i stay right next to it, but the video would just show my butt if i did...

too bad i didnt get a vid of the run right before that, as it got REAL close to being dunked, and a rock even fell into the water and made a splash...that woulda been awesome video...

a float plane with dock would be AWESOME...on my other pond without fish, i was planning on just putting a toy boat inside of it...now you got me thinking when i re-do it and make it larger, to try to build a dock as well...