Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

View Poll Results: What would you like to see in a comp & scale indoor/outdoor course forum?
Post your own backyard scale/comp courses 163 74.77%
Post spectacular commercial scale/comp courses 110 50.46%
indoor & outdoor scale/comp courses 137 62.84%
tips & tricks on building your own course 175 80.28%
coverage of comps & scale events 72 33.03%
Scale course features, bridges, buildings, signs, ponds, lighting, etc. 146 66.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: New Crawler Course / RC ORV Park forum? Any Interest?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #141
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_scaled_out View Post
is that pretty much the rule of thumb? 1 inch equals 1 foot?
1"=1' is 1:12 which is standard scale for doll houses. So if you buy a kit, your stuck with that scale. If you scratch build, obviously you can do what ever you want.

When I build from scratch, I convert real measurements to inches & then devide by 10. working in metric is easier for me but 6' = 72" = 7.2" at 10 scale. I don't know if you can get a decimal ruler/scale so I usually round things, so 7.2" could be 7-1/4". I work in AutoCAD so redesigning like this doesn't create problems. Also, Midwest Basswood strips 3/16x3/8 inch are very close to a 10 scale 2x4.

A lot of 1/12 scale doll house stuff will work. I have a midwest canoe kit & it'll pass for 1/10.

Google "real good toys" for some nice doll house kits. they make log cabins.

Also, check out large scale train forums, building sections.

Here is a thread I started asking some noob questions. there are links to some build threads using PVC Sintra foam board for outdoor buildings.

1/10 scale garage - myLargescale.com - Forums - G Scale Forums - Buildings
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

look at house/shack/cabin compared to a/your 1:1 vehicle..
or whatever it is your trying to replicate in scale..

now get a piece of cardboard big enough to draw on to replicate the
size of the house compared to your scaler.
given the difference in wheelbase and or size..

its how i test sizes to look scale and then use as a rough template
for fabbing.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #143
Rock Crawler

Quote:
been toying around looking for appropriate size dollhouse log cabins for my course. i didnt find anything that wouldnt make my truck look like a monster truck parked out front of it. i might have to make my own but i dont know how large a log cabin would be 1.1 to scale it down approprately to 1/8 or 1/10. should i just get measurements from my 1.1 house and go from there?
You can, a small 30' x 30' cabin would be 900 sq. ft. which is pretty small but with 10 scale, just move the decimal & 3' x 3' is what you are looking at.

I like the idea of mocking it up in cardboard too. hadn't thought of that even though it seems like commen sense (maybe that's the problem) but I would question the "real" scale of many popular models out there. If you look at them side by side, the Hilux & F350 from tamiya are not the same scale. my guess is the hilux is closer to 1:9 & the F350 is closer to 1:1l. I might be off a bit but point is an F350 might look ok in front of a 1:12 doll house & a hilux is going to look big.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #144
Rock Crawler

P.S. I know some of you guys are close to VA. This guy Tom knows his stuff: The Doll House Shop, Richmond, Virginia

He has a complete miniature wood shop & can do milled plywood to order. I talked to him about doing 1/10 scale stuff for me & he was totally into it.

Problem with 1:10 though is size can get out of control real quick & I quickly realized I was looking at leaving my structures outside because of that which led me to the g-gauge RR guys which led me to pvc foam board walls & styrene trim in place of plywood walls & basswood trim.

Here are real good toy log cabin kits for some ideas:

Log Cabin Dollhouses, Ponderosa Dollhouse Kit, Crockett's Log Cabin Dollhouse Kit

I built one of their regular houses & the kits are fantastic but they really aren't made to stay out in the weather. Also, they are doll houses so they look very scale from some angles but they look like a doll house from others. and no garages... WTF??

Last edited by DRW-FJ40; 10-05-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #145
Quarry Creeper

awesome thanks for the info. i hope i can put something together soon. im itching to build somethings.
all_scaled_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 AM   #146
Rock Crawler

Quote:
awesome thanks for the info. i hope i can put something together soon. im itching to build somethings.
Looks like you last post got wiped out from that hicup last night. I'm working on a set of plans to build an Adirondack shelter. It will be 12"x18" & I hope to offer plans on the vendor section in the future. the plans will be real scale so they can be used as templates to cut pieces or take measurements directly from the drawings. I'm not quite ready to get it all going yet but if I decide to move forward with trying to sell plans, I will get my vendor status & offer the picnic table plans for free to guage interest.

Anyway, here is the build thread for the shelter:

1:10 Scale Adirondack shelter
Old 10-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #147
Rock Crawler

Its been over 2 months since this thread began, and we still know nothing more about the existance of such a forum than we did when it started. However we do know that there are many RCC users interested...a good bit of them star holding...I don't get it?
Ramination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #148
Rock Crawler

Bump

Do we need more justification, what is the dealio here?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #149
Rock Crawler

May I kindly throw a log on this fire?

ev0ls secret lair/back yard track/crawl spot build progess
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramination View Post
Bump

Do we need more justification, what is the dealio here?
Its almost as if its not going to happen but they dont want to say no..Ive had GFs pull that move in the past
I mean the forum has been updated once or twice since this thread and now we even have "likes" so the forum IS getting updated and worked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0l View Post
May I kindly throw a log on this fire?

ev0ls secret lair/back yard track/crawl spot build progess
feel free to throw on some gasoline
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #151
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Its almost as if its not going to happen but they dont want to say no..Ive had GFs pull that move in the past
I mean the forum has been updated once or twice since this thread and now we even have "likes" so the forum IS getting updated and worked on.

feel free to throw on some gasoline
Hell, we are getting the silent treatment here!

Maybe we should just start a bunch of new random threads about building a course, and every hour start another new thread asking a stupid question about building a course...and lets put them in all differnt forums, making sure they are totally unrelated...think we'll get attension and our own forum then?
Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #152
I wanna be Dave

I don't think pissing them off will help your cause.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:14 AM   #153
Rock Crawler

Only kidding of course.

IMO its more refreshing to have a little humor than a "Bump" post to keep the thread on top.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #154
I wanna be Dave

eaaassssyyyy....

back'er down a notch Ramination...
i can appreciate your enthusiasm..

if its meant to be it will happen.
it may not be in our/your time frame..

meanwhile id say the scale section would be the place for it..
Old 10-14-2011, 07:41 AM   #155
Rock Crawler

Yea, I can appreciate your enthusiasm & frustration but we need more people interested, not the same ones over and over. no offense to those who have posted frequently. I'm one.

Keep spreading the word. the "garage builds" are key people since a lot of us are into adding buildings to our "courses" to make them more like scale scenes rather than just simply a pile of rocks. It's pretty easy extension to build a scale garage & then put it out in the yard. and they really don't fit under "scale accessories" which I think of as stuff you put on your truck.

Let's face it, it's RCSA were talking about here, radio control scale addictioin. We all suffer from it. A lot of people don't have the means to build a course but I can see a lot of people wanting to & checking out the cool builds.

But scale course building is not exploding like the wraith, for instance & that's why a forum is dedicated to the wraith.

But... I am confident that if there were a forum & others saw some of the cool stuff being built, this part of the hobby would explode. If nothing else, it's just cool to look at. My website has had tons of hits & most of the comments I get are on the ORV park.

I've got little parts of my park that I use only for photos. You don't have to have a lot of space for that, just a small little area to build in.

BTW, EV0l that course is cool. I want to put a rally course in my yard, got the idea from all scaled out's course. & I've been drooling over that Tamiya 240z safari rally car.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #156
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
But... I am confident that if there were a forum & others saw some of the cool stuff being built, this part of the hobby would explode. If nothing else, it's just cool to look at. My website has had tons of hits & most of the comments I get are on the ORV park.
Bingo
Old 10-18-2011, 05:25 PM   #157
rik
RCC Addict

i'd like to see this happen also
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:26 PM   #158
I wanna be Dave

heres something to stir the pot a lil bit..

Superlift orv park and Roland rockshop bringing you..

Superlift Rc Orv park

superlift orv park

stay tuned..
cause its getn the full treatment!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #159
Quarry Creeper

Nice course Roland, wheres it at? There's quite a few hot places down south
speed ghilliesniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Superlift orv park,hot springs,Arkansas.