Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Guidelines for scale builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Guidelines for scale builds

For those with a short attention span I will sum up my opinion in two words, utter bull.
For those who read past headlines and are willing to look at other peoples opinions read on and I will explain my position.
I think the new guidelines post in the scale forum is well intended but down right rediculus to define 'scale' to what a couple of people think. Yes I like to see someone say that a stick is not scale what the hell is this?
Quote:
6)MINI/SSMTs . I have noticed alot of mini builds lately...just because its mini doesnt mean its scale! Just because you are building some kind of SSMT doesnt mean its scale either. It takes ALOT to build a "scale" Mini.
A) This goes for large scale rigs as well IE 1/6 scale
Are you telling me the only rigs that can be scale are 1/10th and 1/12th scale? How about this...
Quote:
4) Axles, the only "scale" axles that should be used are TLT axles, Bruiser axles and when the new High Lift comes out those will be great as well. There are also some german made trial truck axles out there, those are "scale" too. Axles that are NOT SCALE are clod axles, emaxx axles, twin force axles, NYLINTS as whole etc...Although Juggernaut/TXT axles resemble military rock well axles, they are really to wide for scale rig.
What the hell is so scale about TLT axles? They do not resemble any 'real' axle and the only thing going for them is the fact that they fit under most 1/10 lexan lids rather well. If width of the axle is what makes it scale then perhaps the people who came up with these 'rules' should have thought about the width of the TXT axle being just about perfect for 1/6th rigs but oh yeah, I forgot that anything over 1/10th is not scale What is wrong with mad/twin force axles? last I knew they could be cut down to a more 1/10th scale width to appease those who came up with these 'rules;' King Cobra comes to mind and the landy tuber he built with twin force axles that were cut down. They looked far more real than a freaking TLT axle and were even shaft driven!
Since we are going to limit people why not just throw down the rule that for any rig to be 'scale' it has to use bruiser axles? I mean any dummy can buy a set on e-bay right? What if someone builds a rig with indipendant front suspension? would that not be scale if the 1-1 vehicle had that setup?
About bodies...
Quote:
That means NO buggy/truggy type bodies.
Am I missing something? Can't these bodies be cut to remove the unsightly parts/ remove parts altogether? What I am thinking of is say an F-150 body with flared fenders up front and some awful looking bed. Couldn't the owner build a tube buggy kind of rig and remove the bed but keep the fiberglass fender look up front? Do we all have to start using jeeps, broncos, and land cruisers?

Quote:
8 )Tires: There are alot of "scale" tires out there. Imex and proline make alot of cool ones. Only thing I notice is that some guys run the tires backwards because they work better. That is fine, although not very scale, If you are building a scale rig you are often giving up performance for looks. Run the truck with the tires the in the right direction, or at least for when you post pictures of it .
Who gives a flying rats rear end what bloody direction the ties face? I have just as many rigs in real life with baja claws running backwards as I have seen running forewards. Should we also ban tires like the proline moab 2.2 because it looks nothing like a real tire?

If you want to limit the scale forum to TLT axled rigs with the same old lexan bodies then please just move that sh8t back to the TLT forum where it belongs and rename the scale forum "bruisers only."

Some examples of rigs that do not meet the guidlines but IMO are more scale then some of the sh8t that gets posted in that forum are rigs like the 1/6th scale flat fender jeep rbgerrish was building. Yes I know it did not have drive shafts but proportionally it was a work of art.
Microgoats 1/6th Ford Ranger did not have a TLT axle under it and yet it is so freaking real looking most people have to look twice.
And just to prove I am not all about the 1/6th scale take a look at the SSMT build up of a jeep J-10 by racer32. I also just noticed that his SSMT build is still in the scale forum while every other SSMT thread looks like ehy have been moved. Did he just rub someones back the right way or is it just because his project is turning out damn well? HMM perhaps the forum should be re-named 'bruisers and select builders only.'

The people who read these forums are smart enough to know when a rig is not scale and honestly I would like to see that thread scrapped because I think it very poorly tries to define what is 'scale.'
I am done b*thing now.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

So leave!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The Scale Forum REALLY did need some guidelines to help clean it up!

But I don't think a few of those guidelines were what was needed.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb
The Scale Forum REALLY did need some guidelines to help clean it up!

But I don't think a few of those guidelines were what was needed.
That is what I am getting at, I guess cole is just a little to dense to understand that.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I am thick in the head.
I think they did a good first attempt at a problem.
But when you say it's "utter bull" I have a problem with that. You are letting your emotions get the best of you.
You don't even reconize that there is a problem in that forum. People were posting a sw2 as a scale truck. There is no scale apperance about that chassis. That is what they are trying to fix.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole82
I am thick in the head.
Or just distracted by nice avitars
Quote:
I think they did a good first attempt at a problem.
But when you say it's "utter bull" I have a problem with that. You are letting your emotions get the best of you.
You don't even reconize that there is a problem in that forum. People were posting a sw2 as a scale truck. There is no scale apperance about that chassis. That is what they are trying to fix.
I do recognize that there is a problem in that forum (nylints being posted as scale? WTF!) and yes I do not think TVP chassied rigs qualify as a scale build but you did not see me whining about the chassy guidelines now did you? Heck I really liked the comments about accessories not making a rig scale.
Perhaps I went a little over the line to call it bull, but when I read them I see it really as just recreating the old TLT forum but you have to keep the tires in the wheel wells.

A better guidlines post would not be a parts list but but rather show people examples of what a scale rig is and what it is not and then let their minds run wild. Post up a pic or two of a good scale rig and point out what makes it scale then post up the usual TVP chassied crawler and give examples of why it does not really belong in that forum.
I also dont care for the fact that it seems like anything that is not 1/10-1/12th scale is excluded when there are some amazing builds that are bigger and smaller that get burried in all of the "I have an idea that has been posted million times already" threads and then lost. Ideas used to build a scale rig are not limited to a perticular size of rig and that is why I think it would be good to have all of those ideas and experiances in one place.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

we appreciate the feedback in to which helps us run this site better, but you could go about it in a different tone of voice( yeah yeah I know- but you understand what I am saying)

The way you wrote this comment could start a pissing match real fast
Old 06-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Point taken.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:54 PM   #9
Colt Python/SR9c

but as #1 states

1) A Scale vehicle must use a scale body. It can either be a hard body (Ie Bruiser,clod etc) or a Polycarbonate body. This means it should be something you can see everyday or on the trail/rocks. That means NO buggy/truggy type bodies. Bodies should be cut out how they were intended to be cut out. Removing some more wheel well room is acceptable to allow for tire clearance as well as bobbing beds or performing dove tails. Tubers that resemble real rock buggies or other rigs are acceptable as well

I am lost as to- No buggy or truggy bodies, but yet we are allowed tubed frames and dovetails? I see truggy type trucks all over the trails. Maybe it was meant to be a complete hacked up body?

I understand about the axles, cause that is what 90% of the people use, besides bruisers. Cause we know you do not find anything like this on the trail

Last edited by TwistedCreations; 06-07-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing
and yes I do not think TVP chassied rigs qualify as a scale build but you did not see me whining about the chassy guidelines now did you?
So I guess this would not be considered scale then?

All this whining from a guy that can't spell chassis correctly. Have you even built a scale rig?

Have you seen any of the rigs that the author of that stickie has made?

Keep in mind they are "guidelines" and there will always be exceptions for rigs like King Cobra built. Do you honestly think if Kingcobra created that build thread in the scale rigs forum we would move it out?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I really liked the comments about accessories not making a rig scale.
I see it really as just recreating the old TLT forum but you have to keep the tires in the wheel wells.

A better guidlines post would not be a parts list but but rather show people examples of what a scale rig is and what it is not and then let their minds run wild. Post up a pic or two of a good scale rig and point out what makes it scale then post up the usual TVP chassied crawler and give examples of why it does not really belong in that forum.
I also dont care for the fact that it seems like anything that is not 1/10-1/12th scale is excluded when there are some amazing builds that are bigger and smaller that get burried.
I think this is what your post should have said. All things you posted just took some stuff out. Then I wouldn't have posted the just leave comment.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
So I guess this would not be considered scale then?

How is that rig any different than your run of the mill comp TLT? It has a shorter wheel base, narrowed wheels, and some damn fine body work. I hate to bruise your ego but the only thing special about your bronco is the body. Would I like to own it? Yes! Do I have a problem calling it scale? No because in my mind scale is based on proportions, but the way the guidelines are written it sounds like a new page from the RCC comp rules and really does not leave much to creativity; that is what I would like to see change. So I came off harsh in stating my opinions and have recieved my smackdown, no big deal.

Yes I have built some scale rigs, but my work is not of the caliber of some people here and I do not bother to trumpet my work.

And yes, I have seen the rigs built by 1badjeepbruiser and have complimented his work many times; do you think I am blind? I know you think I am an a$$hole but I do not care about that.

Last edited by slugzracing; 06-07-2006 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
R.I.P. Chip

I agree with many of the point you have said Slugz. Hell your Ranger is a sweet scaler and it uses clod axles

To me scale means if I have to look twice to see that it is radio controlled it might just be a scaler, no matter what axles it has
Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
How is that rig any different than your run of the mill comp TLT?
No I don't think your an asshole, I just think your a idiot.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:40 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I guess every person has their own idea of scale. I understand the idea of using a shaft driven vehicle to work from as the best idea because 99% of all 4x4s are shaft driven(i think there was a pikes peak rig that used duel engines one for the front axle one for the back), but that doesnt mean that a clod based rig can't be scale. I've seen real rigs around where I live that are totaly jacked with massive lifts crazy huge tires, mutilated body, hell some of them look less scale than a stock nylint and they are 1:1. I agree with Jason, if you have to look twice to make sure its a R/C vehicle its scale. Chassis with shocks that lay almost flat doesnt really look like the chassis of the 1:1 counterpart. At the moment I'm having Double J work on a XJ tube chassis for me. Its honestly not scale, how many tuber XJ's have you seen? But, in my mind it is. I guess the real quote for this whole thread would be "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Last edited by xjman; 06-08-2006 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Sinking with the ship

I posted a reply in chit chat...slugz with all ranting you obviosly missed out on the part that said if you have any questions to contact me or another mod

the rules will be revised again...obviosly some think I am to harsh...

Mike
Old 06-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
Sinking with the ship

The GUIDELINES were revised to better suite the needs of the site and the members.

Mike
Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Didn't mean to sound critical of your work, I just disagreed w/ some of the guidelines. Cant please everyone. I wouldn't want to have to try!

Dez
Closed Thread