Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Truck build-up...with no truck!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Truck build-up...with no truck!

Is there any way to stop or at least limit people from starting up build threads when all they have is a set of wheels, an unpainted body, and maybe some electronics? I've seen so many of these in the past couple of weeks, it's ridiculous. Most of the threads even mention that they don't even know when they are going to get the rest of the parts. I've seen at least three TLT builds this way and the OP said that they weren't sure when they were going to be getting the axles.

Come on, if you don't have the axles, it ain't a build yet! The last thing I, and I believe most of the others on this board, want to see is pictures of a bunch of parts, none of which could collectively be put together to resemble anything close to a crawler.

If you don't have all of the parts, don't start a thread! It's supposed to be a "build" thread, not a "hey, see what parts I have SO FAR and don't know when I'm going to get the rest" thread.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Please post the links to the threads in here. When I see lame threads like that I simply file them in the Newbie General garbage bin.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'll have to go back and see if I can find most of the ones I can remember. I'd prefer to PM you the threads as opposed to listing them here. I'm sure that someone will get their panties in a twist if they see that their thread has been singled out.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72
I'll have to go back and see if I can find most of the ones I can remember. I'd prefer to PM you the threads as opposed to listing them here. I'm sure that someone will get their panties in a twist if they see that their thread has been singled out.
Agreed. PM is fine. You can also use the "report bad post" to notify moderators.

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman72
I'm sure that someone will get their panties in a twist if they see that their thread has been singled out.
We know who you are now so I guess it is kind of a cows opinion.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
Please post the links to the threads in here. When I see lame threads like that I simply file them in the Newbie General garbage bin.
I just fixed one in the tlt forum, moved to the "trash bin"

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:29 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Talking

What the problem is? You guys don't like my killer-axle-and-Moabs-with-no-rim photos?
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:17 AM   #8
Nope..

What about a thread like. "I've got some parts here and some in the mail or being built"? As long as you're showing direction and have some things to show and build until the other parts get here is that alright? Build threads that last longer than 2 days keep people coming back. I can't just accumulate EVERYTHING at once anyway..
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

In my opinion, build threads are just that...BUILD threads. Not an "accumulation" thread. Here's my thought...if a person really wants to start a thread because they are excited about building their crawler, but they don't have all the parts ready to actually do the "building", then don't title the thread as a "build thread".

When I see a build thread, I want to see a truck being built. It may not be built to completion, but definite forward progress needs to be made. When I did my build thread for my P4 chassis, I took pictures as I went along and then once I had completed the build, I created the build thread.

Maybe Badger or another mod can chime in and let me know if I'm way off base here.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:30 AM   #10
Nope..

I've seen it posted a few times that people like longer lasting "accumulation" threads.. Think about it. If monstr (sp?) would have posted everything in his "Jims Rebuild" thread, it would have sucked balls. Cuz every day you were waiting anxiously to see if Jim was gonna hurt himself or bang that **** next door. I understand that it shouldn't start out as "Here's the wheel nuts I'll be using. Once the wheels get here I'll post those and if I get my TLT axles for christmas I'll post them up", but it shouldn't be mandatory to have the truck done before you post pix of the progress.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I agree...I didn't mean that EVERYONE has to have a finished truck before they post a build thread. I made mention of how I did it as a reference. "Jim's" build is a perfect example (as well as countless others) on how to IMO properly do a build thread. The two examples that you gave are exactly what I was referring to on how NOT to do a build thread.

I saw a thread touted as a "Build" thread not too long ago (that I believe one of the mods appropriately AXED) that had nothing more than a pair of freaking axles and nothing else. The OP had no idea on when he was going to be able to get the rest of the parts. That is NOT a build thread.

I feel as long as some forward progress is made within a day or two, and you have the majority of the parts to at least make the axles resemble something similar to a truck, then it's a build thread. Otherwise, it's just a "Whoohoo, I got my axles and I want to show everyone how shiny they are" thread.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

you mean like my spider build thread that is just a pic of my lathe right now?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Just like that. Or like my Project Skinny Tube?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
Just like that. Or like my Project Skinny Tube?
Thanks for pointing those out to me, I have deleted both of them.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I love you too badger
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I love you too badger
Same here. Glad I could help.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #17

Old 07-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Not quite the same...neither one of you guys stated in the title of your thread that it was "The Spider Build Thread" or "Project Skinny Build Thread" but simply titled "The Spider" and "Project Skinny". Neither of those thread names to me make mention that we will ever see a completed ready-to-run truck. Plus, both of you fine gentlemen are high standing, contributing members of this forum and it's just assumed that if you start a thread, it's going have SOME worth.