Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: PTI forum addition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #1

Default PTI forum addition

I would like to request a forum catagory for the PTI Goliath be created. I have had one since they came out and it is highly modified, as are others I've seen. This would be a great place to bring it's impressive capabilities to the site and allow people to share information. Thanks! maxxitout
maxxitout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Maxxitout, good to see you on here finally. But I'll tell you, a PTI forum ain't gonna happen. It's been brought up, but there's only like 5 of us on here that actually have 'em; or at least we're the only ones that post.

Unless the Goliath gets more popular, we will be forced to post in the Pergatory (sp?) that is General Crawlers
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #3

Thanks K_B, good to see you here too! Shame the G is so overlooked but a forum here could spur some serious interest, they should still make it.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Default ...

hey there fellow PTI enthusiasts...

Aren't we all just 'over-comers' from the PTI forum at 18th.com...?

Anyways the PTI gets tromped by the TLT in more ways than one... not that its not a capable platform and whatnot, and don't get me wrong i do love my PTI and its quite the capable 2.2. Its about price point, and getting started you can go with PTI for nearly $180 stock (not crawl capable) or a TLT for $80 stock (equally not crawl capable).... so it just doesn't make sense at all.

my BIGGEST complaint of my PTI.... Ring gear strips TOO much, TOO easily under brushless load. And nobody makes metal inerds. That is why my PTI sits idle right now because i keep stripping the ring gear inside the axle and I have not come up with anything good to prevent it. shimming doesn't cut it.

anyways, yep we'll just have to continue on like an outcast toy, stuck in the general discussion forum. bah to that.
WRXronald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #5

Hey there... good words of wisdom! I guess my longterm goal is to get some exposure for this truck and maybe some gear maker will go out on a limb and make the darn metal TC3 gears...why it has not happen yet is far beyond me! I do agree it is the weak link of the G and even some direct contact with PTI has proved fruitless to either get the gears made or change the axle mold to house the very inexpensive DTX metal gears that are just slightly bigger...its a real shame...
Old 07-24-2006, 02:44 AM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I don't know if this is the place to put it really, but I put the Nitro TC3 spool in the rear axle. The gear itself is black. I assume it's made of a beefier material since it's for the nitro as opposed to the beige gear included in the electric spool. The ring gear in the front just recently stripped, but the rear is still going strong. I've also used slipper pegs in the spur gear to help out with the brushless power and so far, it's worked well.

And I know this is beating a dead horse, but it suddenly dawned on me that the price thing, in my opinion, doesn't fly. In the end, we all spend too much money on these things. A TLT on average runs about $500-600 with all the bells and whistles, which is pretty much what I've spent on my Goliath. I'm building a TLT now and I've got just as much into that. Now for a young beginner looking to get into the hobby, $180 (I think they're about $150 now) might be kinda steep but the thing is WAY more capable stock than a stock TLT.

I really think PTI deserves a little more exposure. They're showing a genuine interest in the crawling niche. They're releasing a 10.5" wheelbase rig (thanks in part to Maxxitout's rig I believe) and it comes with crawler specific tires to boot (Red Rocks). Kinda funny how Tamiya, with the massive popularity of TLTs, will not offer a crawler specific rig but a tiny company like PTI is willing to make the jump. I suppose Tamiya probably makes more money selling cheap TLTs than they would from a more crawler specific and more expensive TLT axle-based rig.

Somebody slap me... I'm rambling...
Old 07-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

There is no reason to have a seperate PTI forum. They are in the same category as the TLT, put your PTI builds in the TLT forum, not general.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B

I really think PTI deserves a little more exposure. They're showing a genuine interest in the crawling niche. They're releasing a 10.5" wheelbase rig (thanks in part to Maxxitout's rig I believe) and it comes with crawler specific tires to boot (Red Rocks).
Where did you hear they are coming out with a longer wheelbase truck? Do you have a link? I would be interested in learning more about that truck!
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

No offence but maybe we should change our names like scale4x4
1/10 with 2.2s
1/10 with 1.9s
and all the others the same, aka clod maxx txt etc.
Then still have a scale rig, that would ad one more forum, but be more organized, because ppl can atleast tell there tire size, unless they are dumb!

CREEP- It was at the RC EXPO I believe, its pretty much a re release, but better!And swamp dawgs? Or something for tires! I am not sure!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #10
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClodCrawlin
No offence but maybe we should change our names like scale4x4
1/10 with 2.2s
1/10 with 1.9s
and all the others the same, aka clod maxx txt etc.
Then still have a scale rig, that would ad one more forum, but be more organized, because ppl can atleast tell there tire size, unless they are dumb!
That is a great idea.

Once I get un-banned from scale4x4 I will change all our forum names to be the same as there's.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:57 AM   #11
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep
Where did you hear they are coming out with a longer wheelbase truck? Do you have a link? I would be interested in learning more about that truck!
http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...d.php?t=219196

Be sure to scroll all the way down the page for a real dusey of a crawler...

Last edited by K_B; 07-24-2006 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep
PTI is indeed in the process of producing a longer wheelbase truck. No link yet. We will be selling these on our site when it finally gets up and running.

There will be specs and pictures on the truck then. Keep your eyes peeled.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Cool! Thanks for the link. So has anyone heard yet if they are going to wisen up and use metal gears? If they are going to label and market a truck as a crawler surely they would step up to metal gearing! I guess I will hold off on the TLT a little longer to see what develops...
Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:25 PM   #14
K_B
I wanna be Dave

No plans for metal gears yet. They did change the exisiting gears to delrin. But like maxxitout said, the re-tooling required to change the gearcases to fit DTX metal gears doesn't make it feasible at this point. I think they're plan is to market the new truck just like they did the current one, but as a 1/10th scale monster truck instead of 1/18th.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
That is a great idea.

Once I get un-banned from scale4x4 I will change all our forum names to be the same as there's.
Badger, you never were banned. If you can't access the boards just let me know and I'll check it out. But, you're not on the banned list.

Matt
Jugg2Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:20 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

maxxitout, arnt you on the one18th.com forums? ive seen you post alot in the pti section
julie is offline   Reply With Quote