Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Image size rules?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Image size rules?

Why are the only threads moderated for image size the FS/FT threads?

Why are 1024x768 images, the standard size for every online photo hosting site, not allowed?
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: Image size rules?

Because sitting here deleting huge photos becomes a pain in the ass that I don't feel like doing all day. That's being honest. I do all kind of things here that don't get recognized and it's practically all for naught. Does someone really want to sit around all day and night deleting huge photos? Maybe if I got paid more than 5 cents a day I would...

Oh and because when the admins cared, 800x600 was the norm. Something about dial up 56k warning and that crap from a while ago.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Because sitting here deleting huge photos becomes a pain in the ass that I don't feel like doing all day. That's being honest. I do all kind of things here that don't get recognized and it's practically all for naught. Does someone really want to sit around all day and night deleting huge photos? Maybe if I got paid more than 5 cents a day I would...

Oh and because when the admins cared, 800x600 was the norm. Something about dial up 56k warning and that crap from a while ago.
If the rules were updated to allow 1024x768 pictures just about all of them would be OK...
Old 03-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Quote:
... when the admins cared...

Edit: and I've all but given up on enforcing the rule until some people post ridiculously sized pictures.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
If the rules were updated to allow 1024x768 pictures just about all of them would be OK...
.... and I have NO doubt if the size was raised to 1024x768, the problem would still exist because most of the images I seem to remove are double that anyhow.

The solution is the admins activating the feature on the forum that autocorrects the image size when members post images.

But better yet, creating a thread complaining about the forum rules after each of us all clicked "I AGREE" to when registering is always the best way to go

As I've repeatedly told many many members... the rules here are all here for legit reasons.
They were ALL created after much thought and reasoning by a concensous of many people and not just one person. Although someone may not agree with whatever the rules here on rccrawler may be, they weren't just blindly grabbed from a bag for fun.

Additionally, the rules in place all compile up to make RCC what it is.... The #1 scale crawler forum on the internet.

The best place to sound off with any sort of complaint or disagreement with any rule/rules is directly with one or both of the admins.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Why are the only threads moderated for image size the FS/FT threads?

To directly answer that question....

It's much easier to delete an oversized image/images when a thread needs to be approved and is manually open for review before it posts anyhow.
But just because the classifieds seems to be the most noticed location image sizes are corrected, doesn't mean it's not the same size for the entire forum in every section.

But if/when I receive 3 or more complaints from at least 3 different members about oversized images somewhere besides the classifieds sections, I will and do go correct the images when I have the time available. Unless the size is something like 10,400x 8,650... then I simply delete it on pure laziness by the member to have posted an image more then ten times the rules causing people to scroll sideways for five minutes and ultimately shrinking every other post on that page so small you need a microscope to view them.

It's REALLY not that tough to correct the size of an image and equally not as tough to simply follow rules agreed to when registering.
With the "Crop-Size" APP I utilize ... from start to finish it takes all of about 3 seconds to correct the size of an image (or multiple images as the APP edits one or as many images as you want at the same time taking no extra time).

I go above and beyond to help members in every aspect of this forum, including image sizes.
As y'all know, I do NOT simply dump images and move on like I'm actually supposed to when ginormous images are posted.

I take the extra time to send a descriptive PM about what's going on, with link to the rules and also a very descriptive "how-to" get images within image limits, including the best solution I've come up with that is the easiest and quickest.
The "Crop-Size" APP for editing images.

And I also still go above and beyond and help anyone and everyone that even remotely asks for help or a hand-held walk through on posting images and or correcting sizing.

But...... I will admit I'm not ya'lls daddy and if oversized images turns into a regular repeat performance ... NO... I will not go through the same "how-to" helping hand over and over again unless I am contacted and asked for the extra help, or unless I know the member is a young kid and genuinely needs the guidance and just not yet familiar with forums.

Last edited by THX_138; 04-01-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
.... and I have NO doubt if the size was raised to 1024x768, the problem would still exist because most of the images I seem to remove are double that anyhow.

The solution is the admins activating the feature on the forum that autocorrects the image size when members post images.

But better yet, creating a thread complaining about the forum rules after each of us all clicked "I AGREE" to when registering is always the best way to go

As I've repeatedly told many many members... the rules here are all here for legit reasons.
They were ALL created after much thought and reasoning by a concensous of many people and not just one person. Although someone may not agree with whatever the rules here on rccrawler may be, they weren't just blindly grabbed from a bag for fun.

Additionally, the rules in place all compile up to make RCC what it is.... The #1 scale crawler forum on the internet.

The best place to sound off with any sort of complaint or disagreement with any rule/rules is directly with one or both of the admins.
And as technology progresses, sometimes it makes since to update rules to a more modern standard.

I propose: No limit on size for the FS/FT section for pictures hosted on a 3rd party website, when someone looks at a FS/FT thread, they expect large detailed pictures.

1024X768 limit elsewhere. This is the standard size that most 3rd party websites resize to for .img links. It removes ~7 steps from posting pictures on the site.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #8

Quote:
1024X768 limit elsewhere. This is the standard size that most 3rd party websites
Most? Wondering what forums you belong to which are large size image friendly.
I belong to quite a few forums and they seemingly all either do not allow outside image links, or they are all the same as here or smaller sizing allowed.

Quote:
resize to for .img links. It removes ~7 steps from posting pictures on the site.
There are ZERO extra steps when adding correctly sized images here on the forum. You grab a correctly sized image from your phone, tablet, laptop or PC's photo album and done! How is that 7 extra steps?

But if you are referring to having correctly sized images within your devices photo album.
That would either potentially be a one time ONE STEP action, or THREE STEPS.

ONE STEP would be a one time changing of the setting size on your camera
•Step One... change image size setting ----DONE

THREE STEPS would be an image editing APP such as "Crop-Size"
•Step One... open APP
•Step Two... select image/images to be re-sized
•Step Three... enter your new size values and click save ---- DONE

Honestly... oversized images do nothing but shrink the rest of the forum page.
Once a members oversized image is posted it then pushes a page past the allowed vBulletin's given allowance for page parameters, it equally in the opposite fashion shrinks the entire page and contents for all viewers.
So ultimately, when someone posts their oh so much needed oversized image/images, it in turn makes everyone else's normal correctly sized images so small they end up barely visible, along with all text on that given page also.
And that is exactly why no other forums allow image sizing wider then their forum pages given/set width parameters either.

The only two solutions...
ONE is for admins to activate the forum feature for all uploaded images to be auto re-sized when loading.

TWO is the insanely simple thing I do here and every other internet page I wish to see something a bit better....
I touch screen with two fingers and slide apart.... BLAMMO!!!! giant picture
Or if on a PC... a couple clicks on the page size increase button... BLAMMO!!! Giant picture

Posts like this pop up every now and then when someone decides to have a crusade for large images but it's simply....
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

And we used to only have land lines.
All forums I moderate on have the auto size function.... common sense today.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:19 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
Most? Wondering what forums you belong to which are large size image friendly.
I belong to quite a few forums and they seemingly all either do not allow outside image links, or they are all the same as here or smaller sizing allowed.

There are ZERO extra steps when adding correctly sized images here on the forum. You grab a correctly sized image from your phone, tablet, laptop or PC's photo album and done! How is that 7 extra steps?

But if you are referring to having correctly sized images within your devices photo album.
That would either potentially be a one time ONE STEP action, or THREE STEPS.

ONE STEP would be a one time changing of the setting size on your camera
•Step One... change image size setting ----DONE

THREE STEPS would be an image editing APP such as "Crop-Size"
•Step One... open APP
•Step Two... select image/images to be re-sized
•Step Three... enter your new size values and click save ---- DONE

Honestly... oversized images do nothing but shrink the rest of the forum page.
Once a members oversized image is posted it then pushes a page past the allowed vBulletin's given allowance for page parameters, it equally in the opposite fashion shrinks the entire page and contents for all viewers.
So ultimately, when someone posts their oh so much needed oversized image/images, it in turn makes everyone else's normal correctly sized images so small they end up barely visible, along with all text on that given page also.
And that is exactly why no other forums allow image sizing wider then their forum pages given/set width parameters either.

The only two solutions...
ONE is for admins to activate the forum feature for all uploaded images to be auto re-sized when loading.

TWO is the insanely simple thing I do here and every other internet page I wish to see something a bit better....
I touch screen with two fingers and slide apart.... BLAMMO!!!! giant picture
Or if on a PC... a couple clicks on the page size increase button... BLAMMO!!! Giant picture

Posts like this pop up every now and then when someone decides to have a crusade for large images but it's simply....
I can take picture and upload it directly to photbucket from my phone. Photobucket automatically resizes them to 1024x768.

To resize for the fs/ft section:
take picture
Find USB cable
transfer to computer
resize on computer
save 2nd copy that is smaller
upload both to photobucket.

VS

Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Or just edit a smaller copy in PB, then save both. Tapatalk gives options on most images

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #12
MODERATOR™

And here's what your picture did. Now we have to zoom in to read.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  90.5 KB
Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

And most of the pictures on the site are already the larger size. No one complains about pictures that are 1024x768.

The FS/FT section is the only one that is moderated for 1024x768 pictures.

If they're going to be allowed elseware, they should be allowed in the FS/FT section.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #14
MODERATOR™

Reread the thread. This isn't hard to understand. And really, if you don't like it…
Old 04-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Reread the thread. This isn't hard to understand. And really, if you don't like it…
I'm still waiting for a reason as to why 1024x768 is OK everywhere except the FS/FT section.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:39 AM   #16
MODERATOR™

Reread the thread. I told you and so did THX.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Reread the thread. I told you and so did THX.
So the picture size rule is only enforced in the FS/FT section in relation to 1024x768 pictures?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:44 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm still waiting for a reason as to why 1024x768 is OK everywhere except the FS/FT section.

Because they are not going to change anything if they wanted to.
Post the right size or go to that other forum
And it's still not ok

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Because they are not going to change anything if they wanted to.
Post the right size or go to that other forum
And it's still not ok

Hang up and Drive
Hypocrite.
Servo clearance

Wraith Slipper Clutch Assembly

"Loaner" Bully 2 RTR
Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #20
MODERATOR™

Quote:
So the picture size rule is only enforced in the FS/FT section in relation to 1024x768 pictures?
No. The forum rules about picture size covers the entire forum.

How about you use the report post button when you see something wrong? You can be a helpful set of eyes so I don't have to babysit this place any more than I want to?

Like I said, to sit around all day monitoring each and every stinking post is a waste of time to me.

Image size rules? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Image size in classifieds 801RYAN Chit Chat 94 10-21-2016 10:24 AM
Click the image to open in full size. Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 11 12-13-2011 08:51 AM
Image is everything Locked Up Chit Chat 23 11-06-2008 09:36 PM
1:1 Full size rock crawler competion rules kevinlongisland General Crawlers 3 07-25-2004 12:12 AM