Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, and Help

Notices

Thread: Unregistered Search?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Unregistered Search?

Would it be possible to make the search feature available to non members? I think it would eliminate a lot of the useless threads. I know it is one of the bonuses of being a member. But if someone was going to register just to post a question like "Whats the best crawler?" and forget posting anything else, would they really be that great of an addition to the site? All it would be doing would be making more clutter for people to sort through when they search, which is already a lot. Just a thought.
Norcal crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Is this a new thing? Part of the "update?"

I always thought non-supporting members could search?

I remember when PBB went to that format, about a month before my registration expired, and it really did make it a PITA. Newbies are the ones that need the search the most, and taking that ability away from them is not a good thing IMHO.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
Is this a new thing? Part of the "update?"

I always thought non-supporting members could search?

I remember when PBB went to that format, about a month before my registration expired, and it really did make it a PITA. Newbies are the ones that need the search the most, and taking that ability away from them is not a good thing IMHO.
Thats weird. I thought the same when I didn't have a star in January I could search.

Edit : I think he means people that aren't members on the site. As in no registered users
Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I just logged out and tried and there was no search button. Maybe there used to be, but there isnt anymore. At least not for me.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler View Post
I just logged out and tried and there was no search button. Maybe there used to be, but there isnt anymore. At least not for me.
Oh you mean people that didn't even make an account. There is a search button when you log out it just won't let you use it unless you log in
Brandon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yeah, for the people who dont have an account and are just browsing. They should be able to use it. Because most of the time, they just register, and start a thread on a question that has been asked hundreds of times. But because they cant see the search when they arent registered, they dont think to use it when they register.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:05 PM   #7
K_B
I wanna be Dave

It might be a security thing too. I know that other forums require un-registered users to input a string of numbers and letters from an image in order to search. Probably to keep hackers from slamming the search engine and killing the database. Maybe that same functionality can be put in here.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal crawler View Post
Yeah, for the people who dont have an account and are just browsing. They should be able to use it. Because most of the time, they just register, and start a thread on a question that has been asked hundreds of times. But because they cant see the search when they arent registered, they dont think to use it when they register.
The reason we disabled that is because it takes server resources to do a search and we want only registered users and subscribing members to be able to use these resources.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Ok.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
The reason we disabled that is because it takes server resources to do a search and we want only registered users and subscribing members to be able to use these resources.
Exactly as it should be (because of the resource usage).
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Since it takes up resources,lets make it star holding members only. Give the resources to the guys that pay for the resource
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Since it takes up resources,lets make it star holding members only. Give the resources to the guys that pay for the resource
The only problem with that is then you will have a bunch of noobs that are asking questions that could easily be found in a simple search.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippirocs View Post
The only problem with that is then you will have a bunch of noobs that are asking questions that could easily be found in a simple search.
We already have that,so it'd be nothing new
Old 07-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We already have that,so it'd be nothing new
i was going to say the same thing but their are some older members here with out stars that know to search instead of post so not that great of an idea:-(
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu_by_rc View Post
i was going to say the same thing but their are some older members here with out stars that know to search instead of post so not that great of an idea:-(
Well,my first thought was only make the search freature available to gold star members and up. Entering the giveaways and an avatar is pleanty for the green star members. If you want more,buy a gold star. Another idea.....non star member can't post at all. They can read all they want though. If you want to post,buy a star.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

well, i have been registered since 4-06 and only became a greenstar holding member just this month. i built my frist crawler with out making a single post or starting a tread. i have noticed since the wheely king came out the site has had alot more usless treads. i agree that only star holding members should start treads and post. if you buy a star that should come with more rules. (search before starting a useless treads or be banned for 7 days i.e.) but the point is green star member payed for use and to support this from because we love crawling. make the gold star members able to enter giveaways, have a avatar and all the other cool thing. any body sould be able to read if registered, just no search until they buy a star. hope i made some since. this is just my two cents.
admiket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well,my first thought was only make the search freature available to gold star members and up. Entering the giveaways and an avatar is pleanty for the green star members. If you want more,buy a gold star. Another idea.....non star member can't post at all. They can read all they want though. If you want to post,buy a star.
im not down to pay 50 bucks just to enter the giveaways

but i agree now about the search star holding members only and cant start thread only
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Yeah, that would be a good way to bring more people into the hobby.....

We are all here to have a good time, share our trucks, information, and to have a good time. If your going to make people pay for that, they will leave, or never start up. Instead of helping to expand the hobby, you would be shrinking it....

And remember, everyone here was a newbie at one point as well, and it seems alot of people in here forget that quite frequently.
Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

i agree if you make it so you cant post any threads unless you pay alot of people would be turned off of the site, i mean thats 50 bucks to put into something they dont know that they will love i mean not ever one that comes here is just going to be like omg i neeeed to build one some people may just want to be learning about our hobby (rc in general) i mean i got a job at a LHS because im a crawler, but not every one or even half of everyone that went into the store while i worked there and had crawlers and scalers and a super on display were interested, just asked some questions and never thought about it again. just my 2 cents..
RickSDMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
If we did that we would not be the #1 RC Rock Crawling forum on the web. Our #1 asset is content and if we restrict standard members from finding it, we would end up like RCMT, a great resource for select members.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote