RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Competitions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/competitions/)
-   -   Poll on tire options (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/competitions/109944-poll-tire-options.html)

Just Zach 03-11-2008 12:55 PM

Poll on tire options

This is more aimed towards 1.9

After Kaetwo, PinchFlat, and I ran stock RC4WD tires last weekend in St. George we all decided that we love them and would like to run them at the Comp. But, we also hate to be at a big disadvantage.

No they don't hook up quite as well as a Proline or Losi tire but that's a huge part of the fun and they look amazing!

I just want to see what you guys would think about running unmodified or uncut tires there.

If I'm stepping on toes let me know and the thread will be gone.

I just don't want to take these off"thumbsup"

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...c/IMGP3063.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...c/IMGP3070.jpg

grover 03-11-2008 01:00 PM

I plan to run those RC4wd 1.9 tires uncut and unmodified on my 1.9(they are ordered) wrapping some new RC4wd beadlocks. I plan to run the losi tires uncut and unmodified on the 2.2 wrapping some sick VF assassins.

I believe that Ben has the right idea by allowing the cut down 2.2 in the 1.9 class while also giving bonus deductions for the stock unmodified tires.

Chad-

FrankyRizzo 03-11-2008 01:13 PM

I think that they should be un mod'ed but with Aces new 1.9 Memory foams.

badger 03-11-2008 01:20 PM

My 1.9 scaler will only run RC4WD crushers regardless if others want to compete with non scale tires. You cannot beat the scale looks of the crushers and I think since they don't hook up like comp tires it makes driving the rig that much more fun.

And I agree with Rizzo on the Ace's mem-foams. Those foams made a big difference with the performance of the 1.9 crushers, most notably with side hilling where scalers are not at their best. 8)

PinchFlat 03-11-2008 01:22 PM

Oh I'll have to try some of those foams. They will cut down some of the bounce to I'll bet.

Just Zach 03-11-2008 01:24 PM

I need some too, mine could use some extra sidehilling support"thumbsup"

Brandon 03-11-2008 01:25 PM

If this was to happen you will only see a few tires out there, kinda boring I think.

FrankyRizzo 03-11-2008 01:26 PM

PM me an we can work something out. They cut down the bounce for sure. I just had my first batch cut and they will be out at RCP very soon. I will do a few direct for those of you guys that want them.

Just Zach 03-11-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing (Post 1092273)
If this was to happen you will only see a few tires out there, kinda boring I think.

Maybe its just me but these don't look too scale to me but my bet is they would be the best performing tire there.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...c/IMGP2676.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...c/IMGP2677.jpg

Brandon 03-11-2008 01:38 PM

I couldn't agree more with either of those points. But that doesn't mean that with a little creativity you cant make a proline tire look scale.

Here is my first attempt at turning 2.2 narrwoed dirt hawgs into 1.9's. Once I get it down they will look good and perform really well

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showp...&postcount=181

Grizzly4x4 03-11-2008 02:55 PM

Personally I'm torn over this:

First of all. Does your stock tire option allow people to sand down treads and cut grooves in the tread? Modifying a tire is huge to me, I don't like things to be stock, especially if I can add to the scale look or performance by modifying it. Would I be able to modify a 1.9 Rockstomper like I did my 2.2's?

I think it would be good to show support to RC4WD and other 1.9 tire manufacturers for their 1.9 tire efforts by only allowing 1.9 tires from an approved manufacturer.

On another note, if we are going to "dumb" down the tires. Why not the rest of the rig? If I build a super scale tube chassis truggy that weighs 9lbs, I certainly could easily be beat by someone running a much less scale looking lexan body and a lightweight aluminum frame. Even if the truggy has a 20 point advantge from the start. Especially now that winching is not a penalty free thing anymore.
That doesn't seem fair to me if a "barely scale" rig can beat a "fully scale" rig.
In this case a minimum weight should be considered, to level out the playing field. Just like you are proposing with the tires.

Just Zach 03-11-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 (Post 1092355)
Personally I'm torn over this:

First of all. Does your stock tire option allow people to sand down treads and cut grooves in the tread? Modifying a tire is huge to me, I don't like things to be stock, especially if I can add to the scale look or performance by modifying it. Would I be able to modify a 1.9 Rockstomper like I did my 2.2's?

I think it would be good to show support to RC4WD and other 1.9 tire manufacturers for their 1.9 tire efforts by only allowing 1.9 tires from an approved manufacturer.

On another note, if we are going to "dumb" down the tires. Why not the rest of the rig? If I build a super scale tube chassis truggy that weighs 9lbs, I certainly could easily be beat by someone running a much less scale looking lexan body and a lightweight aluminum frame. Even if the truggy has a 20 point advantge from the start. Especially now that winching is not a penalty free thing anymore.
That doesn't seem fair to me if a "barely scale" rig can beat a "fully scale" rig.
In this case a minimum weight should be considered, to level out the playing field. Just like you are proposing with the tires.

My opinion would be that sanding is no different than running a really worn tire so no. My truggy weighs probably 9 lbs and it doesn't seem to me hurting anything but weight can be a big issue too.

I think that if someone want to run a barely scale rig and wins then the heckling that they will get will more than pay back for it. Hint, hint, if your rig is barely scale then step it up a notch sucka or risk embarrassment from those that are building really cool stuff. Hell, the stuff I am bringing doesn't even compare to some that I am seeing.:lol:

Grizzly4x4 03-11-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justgiveereh (Post 1092376)
My opinion would be that sanding is no different than running a really worn tire so no. My truggy weighs probably 9 lbs and it doesn't seem to me hurting anything but weight can be a big issue too.

I think that if someone want to run a barely scale rig and wins then the heckling that they will get will more than pay back for it. Hint, hint, if your rig is barely scale then step it up a notch sucka or risk embarrassment from those that are building really cool stuff. Hell, the stuff I am bringing doesn't even compare to some that I am seeing.:lol:

Sanding the tires and cutting grooves in the existing tread is ok. Check

Public ridicule and heckling, possibly even public vegetable throwing, will be allowed and strongly encouraged for those trying to "just sneak by". Check

OK, I'm good now. :lol:

Just Zach 03-11-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 (Post 1092401)
Public ridicule and heckling, possibly even public vegetable throwing, will be allowed and strongly encouraged for those trying to "just sneak by". Check

LMFOA:lol:

madhatter 03-11-2008 03:40 PM

I think as long as a tires ''looks'' scale or at least is with in reason it should be ok.
But I also think that there has to be some rules or limits to what is ok. Thats the whole point of a scale comp. To see how well a scale truck performs and lets face it, there is really almost no limit to what scale is anymore. I seen real trucks that look like radio controlled trucks. If you can dream it up and build it Im sure someone out there can do the same thing in a 1:1 rig.
That being said I think you almost have to set some standard to follow to make things more even.
I'm not sure if I put that the way it sounded in my head but.....:lol:

Grizzly4x4 03-11-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhatter (Post 1092426)
I think as long as a tires ''looks'' scale or at least is with in reason it should be ok.
But I also think that there has to be some rules or limits to what is ok. Thats the whole point of a scale comp. To see how well a scale truck performs and lets face it, there is really almost no limit to what scale is anymore. I seen real trucks that look like radio controlled trucks. If you can dream it up and build it Im sure someone out there can do the same thing in a 1:1 rig.
That being said I think you almost have to set some standard to follow to make things more even.
I'm not sure if I put that the way it sounded in my head but.....:lol:

Inside your head must resemble a spilled bowl of alphabet soup. :lol:

Just kidding, I know what yer saying. Not that long ago a scale truck was considered a Clod body on a CC-01 chassis with Tamiya 1.9 BFG's, but at a scale comp, some of these scale truggies and tube buggies that are being built would destroy a rig like that. Where does it end? 8)

FrankyRizzo 03-11-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 (Post 1092447)
Where does it end? 8)

Maybe we should discuss it in the rules committee. I am sure we can clear it up there. :roll:

:lol:

Grizzly4x4 03-11-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo (Post 1092450)
Maybe we should discuss it in the rules committee. I am sure we can clear it up there. :roll:

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Right, leave it to the professionals.

FrankyRizzo 03-11-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 (Post 1092458)
:lol::lol::lol: Right, leave it to the professionals.

Well Fish is our fearless leader...

madhatter 03-11-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 (Post 1092447)
Inside your head must resemble a spilled bowl of alphabet soup. :lol:

Some times I really wonder! :lol: