Notices

Thread: Colorado Rock race!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Colorado Rock race!

KORR prelimanary Race!
Place: Red rocks school Saturday May 3rd 10:00 am registraion
Jumps/courses may be preran, but final lay out will not be done til morning of.
It is recommended that you racer goes 20+MPH (but jump by pass' will be proved, however it will effect your time).
So rock race class rules (heres what I am thinking).
-limited to tube based scale rigs( This will be waved for this race only!)
-14" max wheel base
-1.9-2.2 wheels only
-tire no taller then 6"
-12.5 inches wide, no more then.
-rear steer optional
-no winching
-same body/tuber size rules as 2.2 class
Course set up and points lay out
-Single truck run at a time(possibly two at a time)
-cones line both sides outlining direction
- reversing will cost no points or time
- winner is determined by lowest overall time
- 3 courses per comp then top 5 finals course
- if truck must be rolled over a 10 second penalty will be given and must be rolled back over by the driver.
- no repairs will be given during a course run
-if course is not finished a 2 minute penalty will be given on top of slowest time.
-course will be 24 inches wide at the narrowest point
-cone markers for course layout.(may change)
-its a timed event counting up best time wins, but i also figure we time it depending on how long the course are going to be. (like 2.2). AKA timing out is a possibilty.

So who is in?

Last edited by 666; 04-28-2008 at 03:37 PM.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

This sounds like fun...
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

What's the deal about the "TUBER CHASSIS" only? Sure is going to limit your entries!!
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
-limited to tube based scale rigs( This will be waved for this race only!)
Will be waived for this race and possibly others. The point is this is a different type of scale competition.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
PapaGriz Yo

As much as I'd like to do this I doubt I'll make it. I've got waaaaay too much work to do on my scale rigs for Montana and I already lost a full day yesterday because of the comp.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cato View Post
What's the deal about the "TUBER CHASSIS" only? Sure is going to limit your entries!!
That's kinda the idea.
We don't want there to be 50 competitors, then it just becomes a long day with a lot of sitting around and doing nothing and takes the fun out of it. Also, this was to not really allow people to use their 2.2 comp rigs. We want to see actual rock racing rigs and for them to look like actual 1:1 rock racing rigs. Like Patrick said, it's more of a twist off of a scale comp, not a 2.2 comp. It should keep things a lot more entertaining and a lot more fun to watch.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
[HOONIGAN]

I'm out, it's finals week at school and I'm moving. Plus the F-150 is dead after the last rock race and the Campbell buggy isn't anywhere close to being done.

Ty, you should put a date in the first post, not just "Saturday".
Old 04-28-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

tube frame scale rigs? kinda lame. lots of people have tubers, but not all of them are scale. If you don't want 50 people to show up, put a limit on how many people can run. first come, first serve. I guess I will have to build a 1:1 red devil to be legal for this one.
evileddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
It should keep things a lot more entertaining and a lot more fun to watch.
Maybe for the 5 people that will show up
Old 04-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
MODERHATER™

Just run what ya brung and see if you can keep it together!! Nobody was trying to make it "lame" just trying get the feel out! If it somewhat looks real run it!!

And Ed, get started on the 1:1 Red Devil!!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileddy420 View Post
tube frame scale rigs? kinda lame. lots of people have tubers, but not all of them are scale. If you don't want 50 people to show up, put a limit on how many people can run. first come, first serve. I guess I will have to build a 1:1 red devil to be legal for this one.
Quote:
Maybe for the 5 people that will show up

There was a bunch of us that talked about these rules before hand and we all decided that these were the best for what we wanted. If you don't like the rules feel free to start you're own rock racing series with your rules, I'll come and compete in that too.

The whole point if that rule was to make it like 1:1 rock racing/King of the Hammers. The "Tube Frame Scaler" rule best depicts this. Limiting the number of entrants doesn't accomplish what we were after, if 50 people show up with tubed scaler rock racers that would be awesome. Like Patrick said though, the first comp is just practice, bring something fast, break lots of parts, and most of all have fun!! Then you can decide if you want to put in the time and make a tuber for the series.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:11 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I don't mean the rock race idea is lame, just the rule of scale tubers only. I was in the process of building a tuber just for rock racing, and don't want to start over to build a rig that is scale to a 1:1 rig.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Its not quite that strict. I can see no problem with something like a Hustler or what not. Basically if it has a cockpit its pretty scale to me. But Im sure this will come into debate at a later date. But for now anything can run, but I would definatley recomend some wheel speed. I doubled one set yesterday that had 6" lips and a 8 foot gap And like I said before everyone is allowed to go out there check out the terrain and drive the courses as much as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Just run what ya brung and see if you can keep it together!! Nobody was trying to make it "lame" just trying get the feel out! If it somewhat looks real run it!!

And Ed, get started on the 1:1 Red Devil!!
Thats The idea for saturday guys so man up be prepared to break everything and leave with a smile on your face.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:13 PM   #14

Quote:
I don't mean the rock race idea is lame, just the rule of scale tubers only. I was in the process of building a tuber just for rock racing, and don't want to start over to build a rig that is scale to a 1:1 rig.
Give us a photo Ed. But Im sure it will check out fine.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I will have get some pics resized to show them. the rig won't be ready for a couple months or so when I have $ to buy the rest of the parts needed.
i just don't like the scale part.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #16
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Quote:
I will have get some pics resized to show them. the rig won't be ready for a couple months or so when I have $ to buy the rest of the parts needed.
i just don't like the scale part.
Well if that's the case I would say that you'd probably be fine. How many 1:1 moon buggies actually look like a real vehicle? They look closer to a rc car than a 1:1. So if you translate that over from the 1:1 to rc, it's dang near impossible to not be "scale".

Just get er done and come have some fun!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

What you guys need to add to the courses is a rail slide similar to what Area BFE in moab has set up. Leaf springs work well for rc crawlers.
Looks like I need a killer brushless and lipo setup for this. my fastest motor won't do 20mph.

And wrecker, I really like how you built the cambell tuber. good job.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #18
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
What you guys need to add to the courses is a rail slide similar to what Area BFE in moab has set up. Leaf springs work well for rc crawlers.
Looks like I need a killer brushless and lipo setup for this. my fastest motor won't do 20mph.

And wrecker, I really like how you built the cambell tuber. good job.
Thanks dude.

Just remember, there will be bypasses to all of the big jumps that require a 25mph rig. So a big motor and battery aren't required, but the bypass is sure going to take a lot longer. It's all trade offs, just run what you've got for the first one to get an idea of what speed sits your rig and driving style and go from there. You might prefer a 15mph rig, I just personally prefer a 25mph rig. There is nothing more fun than airing out the big ass kickers in a crawler.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

DAMMIT I am all excited to try this out and don't know if we can make or not. my new rig is waiting for lots of parts before it can go anywhere. This time i built a chassis that is kinda light weight. Hopefully it can leave the ground when necessary.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #20
RCC Addict

turtle: good idea then
cato is offline   Reply With Quote