Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: 1st annual hobbyrama event aug 29th

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #1

Default 1st annual hobbyrama event aug 29th

where; Harrisburg, Pa State Farm show complex expo Hall
when; august 29, 2009 parctice from 3pm-10pm friday the 28th
Hobbyrama will feature an indoor 60x80’ rock crawling course which will be designed for all difficulty skills. We will have first time crawler seminars to fun competition classes including:
1.9 Scale Electric
2.2 Unlimited Electric
2.2 Sportsman Electric
Super Class Electric
there will also be an offroad electric competition over $10,000 in cash and prizes up for grabs
you can pre-register @ www.hobbyramaevents.com
thhrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM   #2

Default Mini

Awesome,im ready, or maybe I will be ready, o well ill show up...
Wreckmaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Getting lots of calls and PM's.

W.Pa.C. is not hosting this event.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #4

ajcloud is running the event being sponsOred by The Hidden Hangar Hobbies and promoted by HOBBYRAMA from the creators of MOTORAMA
thhrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

this has potential to be really awesome. we get to set up a course however we like, in a 60X80 section, water obstacles, wire climbs, verts, off cambers, sky is the limit. what i need is a few ideas, and probably a few volunteers to assist with the set up. you can check out the website at www.hobbyramaevents.com.

i will be attending the comp at sam lewis on the 28th (i think that is the date) and someone from the hidden hangar will hopefully be along to answer any questions that i cant.

hit me up with ideas, pics are great if you have them, and of course your time and materials are greatly appreciated.

this is a chance to showcase your crawler(s) in a course that you helped design, so lets hear em
ajcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

First off...you may consider posting this in the "competition" section of RCC, unless you are limiting it exclusively to PA residents. If you want people from other states to know about this comp then ya have to put it in a place that they'll see it.

Second...What rules are going to be used during this comp...will is be the standard USRCCA rules? If not, who is making the rules and when can the drivers who are planning on attending see them?

Third...Is there going to be any kind of Vendor backing for this comp to supply prizes or giveaways? Thats what will draw the most competitors. Competing for fun is what we all do it for, but with an entry fee hovering around 50 to 70 bux (depending on how many classes you plan on entering)...it would be nice to know that theres a chance to win some cool stuff.

Motorama worked pretty well and was a big hit with all the people who participated. That was mainly due to the fact that W.pac and specifically Rckcrwlr knew how a comp like this should be run.

I know a few of us from NJ are planning on attending this comp...but information on the items above will ease our minds alot. I'm not trying to beat anyone up...we just want to know the details.

Thanks

Last edited by TURBOFEST; 06-15-2009 at 03:46 PM.
TURBOFEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

2.2 unlimited and 2.2 sportsman are both unusual for competition classes , especially if your going by USRCCA RULES , can you give the details of these classes
tat2INDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Turbo is right.... the info on the site is way to vague... Rc crawling is not RC racing... its new to most hobby shops as well as most RC people in general... not having a "Crawler Club" with crawler competition experience running the comp may scare and has already scared some people off... I was at motorama and had a GREAT time and one of the main reasons was it was ran by a club that has many seasons of comp crawling under there belt... I'm not at all knocking AJ, I dont know him from Adam... but it doesnt sound like he or his people have run a comp of this type before... If I'm wrong about this please excause me for my ignorance... I'm far from telling anyone what to do, but Please contact a crawler club that has the experience putting on competitions to help you get this straightened out before you have a huge flop on your hands.... we all want to come and have a great time like we did at Motorama... please make us feel this will be the case

one last thing... at the of Motorama I was happy to over hear a Motorama spokes person saying that "they have never had a group of RC people be so organized and trouble free, as the RC crawler people have been" this I believe was do W.PA.C and there people.... oh and I'm not in there club I'm part of GSRCRC in Jersey
HauntFreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have already reached out to SVSC, and i am a competitor there, so running a comp isnt a stretch, as far as the rest of the details please stay tuned. the assistance i was asking for was more along the lines of ideas as to what people would like to see in the course. I, along with everyone else associated, do not want to see a flop either. Rather than mastermind my own crawling course, i have asked for your ideas, and also anyone who wishes to assist the more the merrier. Luke has a lot of things going that we dont have finalized just yet, so rather than prematurely throw something out that isnt concrete yet we are waiting. I do know that there is already over 10,000 dollars worth of prizes that are from major manufacturers.

Rest assured crawling community, we are not intending to half ass something together, rather we are trying to reach out for ideas so that this goes off huge.

Thanks and as soon as i have answers for you i will post them here
Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Getting lots of calls and PM's.

W.Pa.C. is not hosting this event.
thats a real shame,,you guys did an awesome job....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOFEST View Post
First off...you may consider posting this in the "competition" section of RCC, unless you are limiting it exclusively to PA residents. If you want people from other states to know about this comp then ya have to put it in a place that they'll see it.

Second...What rules are going to be used during this comp...will is be the standard USRCCA rules? If not, who is making the rules and when can the drivers who are planning on attending see them?

Third...Is there going to be any kind of Vendor backing for this comp to supply prizes or giveaways? Thats what will draw the most competitors. Competing for fun is what we all do it for, but with an entry fee hovering around 50 to 70 bux (depending on how many classes you plan on entering)...it would be nice to know that theres a chance to win some cool stuff.

Motorama worked pretty well and was a big hit with all the people who participated. That was mainly due to the fact that W.pac and specifically Rckcrwlr knew how a comp like this should be run.

I know a few of us from NJ are planning on attending this comp...but information on the items above will ease our minds alot. I'm not trying to beat anyone up...we just want to know the details.

Thanks
x10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcloud View Post
I have already reached out to SVSC, and i am a competitor there, so running a comp isnt a stretch, as far as the rest of the details please stay tuned. the assistance i was asking for was more along the lines of ideas as to what people would like to see in the course. I, along with everyone else associated, do not want to see a flop either. Rather than mastermind my own crawling course, i have asked for your ideas, and also anyone who wishes to assist the more the merrier. Luke has a lot of things going that we dont have finalized just yet, so rather than prematurely throw something out that isnt concrete yet we are waiting. I do know that there is already over 10,000 dollars worth of prizes that are from major manufacturers.

Rest assured crawling community, we are not intending to half ass something together, rather we are trying to reach out for ideas so that this goes off huge.

Thanks and as soon as i have answers for you i will post them here
sure do hope so....
dezmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Looking forward to some more details, so we can assume that standard rules apply?
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

ok, USRCCA rules will apply. i will print those out along with their scoresheets and that is what we will use at the event. I spoke with Luke about whether he wanted this ran as a comp or an exhibition, we tossed around the pros and cons of each as we saw them and decided on a compromise. our main focus and intent will be a comp, and as time and space allows we will attempt to set something up so that the novice or spectator who wants to either bring his rig or try one of the shop rigs will have a place to do it and not feel in the way or actually be in the way.

how does that sound.

please dont mistake our asking for input as not being able to run this show successfully, rather an opportunity for you to have input. tell me what you liked from comps in the past and what you disliked. of course we will not be able to satisy everyone or every request, but rather than just saying this is what you get, we want some input so that this can be awesome, well ran and organized, and not just a one time event.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

1.9 2.2 and supers
Old 06-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I'll bite, how are you going to be doing judging? Using competitors, or designated show help? Id def like to see some wire bridges, good variations in the rocks, and good course designs.

Hope thats the imput you were looking for.
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

OK...it's starting to come around to sound a little more like what we want to hear. lol

1.9 is cool i guess...we dont run a 1.9 class in Gsrcrc.

maybe a 2.2 novice (no dig, no MOA), 2.2 pro (normal 2.2 rules apply), and Super (for sure...spectators love supers)

As far as course design goes....it's tough to really make things to dramatic when building an indoor course. I know everyone would love to see some elevation changes and alot of BIG rocks. Not just a pile of rip rap stone thrown on the ground. The super courses are going to be the biggest challenge when building an indoor course. competitors and spectators alike like to see dramatic courses. I'm not sure how the course designers are in SVSC...but a good group of course designers can make or break a comp.

You could try some mid course bonus gates like they had at ECC...i thought that was a cool idea and it worked well once everyone understood how to use them.

P.S. Why is this thread still in the PA section? Are you waiting to get some more ideas before you post it in the COMP section????

Last edited by TURBOFEST; 06-16-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

i was going to ask a moderator to move it but there werent any listed. is there another way
Old 06-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
I'll bite, how are you going to be doing judging? Using competitors, or designated show help? Id def like to see some wire bridges, good variations in the rocks, and good course designs.

Hope thats the imput you were looking for.
definitely, how do you guys feel about a water obstacle? i personally like the vertical stuff, and we sometimes have the water obstacle immediately before that.

i plan on using a few people on our end to do the judging so that the competitors can concentrate on driving. i have a few ideas up my sleeve but i want to make the requests in person not online.

stay tuned. . . .
Old 06-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I'm not a fan of water obstacles on crawler courses...if it were a scale comp...then by all means...water it up.

but these are exposed & expensive crawlers...so, i say no water.

Thats just me though ;)

Actually...that being said, Since you mentioned having kind of an expo. You might consider possibly making a small "scaler" section with some water hazards just for spectator eye candy.

Vert rock climbs are always good...but if we can stay away from things like boards with carpets on them...that'll be cool. Ya know...you have to have your usual comp staples....sidehills, verts, drop-offs, technical downhills, undercuts, ledges, etc etc.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

sounds like you are on the right track ajcloud.........please lean on any advice from any of us GSRCRC guys we are in our third comp season as we speak, our club is recognized by this site and we have sent our best driver(turbofest) to the nationals and some of the guys above have competed in large events. Turbofest,Dezmoon,Tat2indy,Hauntfreaks and myself are all in our third season of designing courses and acting as main judges. so by all means ask any questions.

....and as far as water obstacles, thats scaler territory, comp crawlers are not waterproof so please keep them out of comp courses
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

definitly no water , most comp vechicles use lipos , and the are dangerous when wet , a seperate area for people to try out the shop crawlers is a great idea , maybe a 8x8 section with smaller rocks that can be easily climbed , because a new person to the sport can break a driveshaft quick, large rocks are awesome with some med size for filler , definitly get an exsperienced person to set up the courses for the comps , this is key , to haveing a great event , alot of times a course can look simple but might be impossible when you actually drive it, a log bridge or a rope crossing is great eye candy for spectators
tat2INDY is offline   Reply With Quote