Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: First Mid MO Crawler comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default First Mid MO Crawler comp

This saturday November 12th at capen park In columbia Missouri we are gonna have the first SloMo BoCoMo comp. I will say that the get together time will be around noonish, but more details will come. Im not sure if there will be enough rigs to have both 2.2 and unlimited classes, so we are just gonna run the gates for points. I have nominated myself to get the shindig started, and I will be making the course as well.

There will be a frequency check, and stricter radio regs than normal get togethers. I dont want anybody running their rig off of the cliff face and killing a climber. It will be wise to bring some string, because I might make the course really close to the edge and a safety leash might be needed. Im just thinking out loud though.

I hope that the course will be hard enough. If we manage to get a few people through without points then I have failed at my task. Winner takes home a big Nothing, but has bragging rights until our next get together. After this, we might have our next comp at the quarries.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #2

update.

as of right now, there will be one course with one stage. It will be made for 2.2's to pass most of the gates, and there might be optional 2.2 gates on the bigger sections. If time allows I might set up a stage for bigger rigs as well. Its pretty much up in the air so if you are gonna show, post up what you will bring so you can influence how I make the course!

any jeff city guys out there?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I'll be there with my TLT. I know there will be at least 5-6 2.2 trucks if the JC guys come up. Should be 3 or 4 unlimiteds also if everyone shows. This will be fun. Spectators are welcome, so even if your truck is in pieces you can still come watch.

Kelly

Last edited by KSchweikert; 11-08-2005 at 09:29 AM.
KSchweikert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I know that I'm planning on being there to watch, since mine's in pieces. I think that Tony (red/white Bronco TLT) and Tyler (#28 Stock Car TLT) are planning on competing. I'm not sure about the other two right now.

On a side note, we're trying really hard to get rock crawling started here in JC. We've got John at the Mid-Mo getting more and more parts in for the TLTs and hope to have some sort of beginner's clinic on converting a stock TLT to a competent 2.2 crawler sometime soon. Hopefully, we can get some folks around the JC area interested in crawling so we can have a better turnout for practice sessions and future comps.

Thanks, John for taking the time and effort to get this comp organized. I'm looking forward to being able to actually watch other crawlers nav through the gates.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:52 AM   #5

it looks like there might be thunderstorms on saturday, which will move the comp to sunday. I am watching the weather pretty close right now.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I noticed that last night when watching good ol' Kermit on KRCG. I think that they are calling for showers later in the day (closer to the evening hours). Of course, this was as of 10:00 or so last night. Hopefully the showers will hold off until the early evening at least.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #7

yeah, hopefully so. It wont be any good wet and leafy. We are gonna bring out a leaf blower to get rid of the slick debris.

If I cant get enough people willing to judge, then we will just run the course for personal pleasure. Each person running needs two judges, so we will want at least 4-6 judges to keep the pace up.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:11 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I talked to Jordan yesterday and he said he'd be there. He indicated that he could help with judging if needed.

I printed a dozen sets of RCC rules and a few score sheets. I think this time will be a "run what ya' brung" kinda thing. I'd be happy to do the Tech inspections for this comp and future comps once we establish SloMo BoCoMO rules.

Kelly
Old 11-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #9

sweet. Im looking forward to this. next comp should be at cosmo or boone quarries.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:16 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Do you think that a Clod based crawler could run? A friend of mine just built one using two aluminum shock towers as the frame...definitely cool and it will go ANYWHERE!!! Anyway, I thought about talking him into bringing it along, but didn't know if he would be able to crawl with it, since it's considerably wider than any 2.2 rig.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:38 AM   #11

we are not having any class limitiations this time. If there are enough people to have a super and a 2.2 class, then so be it. If we only have a 2.2 class, he can still run the course if he wants as long as we observe radio check policy.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:44 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Sounds good. If there aren't enough to do a super class, then maybe he could run it as an "exhibition"
Old 11-11-2005, 03:44 PM   #13

The weather is looking wetter and wetter for saturday, so we are probably gonna start a bit early. I will be there at 10 or earlier to setup the course. Anybody else is more than welcome to come and help, watch, etc. The ealier we get started the better the weather is looking.

Im gonna go out on sunday too, and I might set up some gates for playing around with. sunday's weather is looking very nice.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default Comp results

Hopefully everyone had a good time Saturday, I know I did. I thought I’d post the top 3 finishers. There were 360 points possible and no bonus gates.

1. Kelly with 348 points (Green GMC Sierra bodied TLT).
2. Brian with 343 points (Red Savage bodied Clod).
3. Tony with 315 points (Red Ford Bronco bodied TLT).

Pics here

http://www.4wdthunder.net/index.php?...egory&catid=22

Kelly
Old 11-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I had a blast! It was fun to see each each truck run. I'm looking forward to the next comp...hopefully I'll have my new one finished by then. I posted this on Brian's board, but if you guys are thinking about having another one this year, let me know and I'll do what I can to help get it going.

Tony and I are still amazed at how capable your TLT is, Kelly. It's really made me rethink the option of adding weight to mine. I may have to hold off and see how it performs as-is.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the compliment. I've changed my links around at least 4 times and I'm finally happy with the setup. I've played around with adding weight and decided it really didn't help my truck much with climbing but it did help with stability on side slopes.

December 10th at cosmo may be the next comp unless there are too many conflicts.

Kelly
Old 11-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #17

i think you added the points up reversed kelly. you had 12 points, brian had 17, and tony had 45 i suppose. The less points the better

I had a great time, even though I didnt compete. Setting up the course was a lot of fun, and watching all the trucks run it was even better. There were so many ooo, ooo, ahhhh!! moments.

Dec 10th looks like a good tenative date to me.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:52 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to mark the date on my calendar right now. How is the site at Cosmo? I haven't been by there and the one or two pics that I saw from Brian's website aren't enough to really grasp how it is. Granted, I know that it will be different from Capen, which I have personally titled "Rock Crawler Heaven". It looked from the couple of pics that I have seen that Cosmo is a lot more "craggy", meaning it's more along the lines of boulders and rocks and less in the lines of faces, like Capen.

Either way, I look very forward to the next comp. I should have my new one built and ready to run by the end of this weekend or the first of next week.

And mucho kudos to you three for setting up what seemed like an impossible course that was very exciting to watch.

Let me know if there is anything that I can do to aide in the next comp.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #19

I would say that it is more craggy. The rocks are more weathered at capen, and smoother as a result. Cosmo is traction city. You have to keep a close watch on vehicle speed and wheelspeed, especially with shafties. One good hook up can send you flying up a face or off it instead.

Cosmo is harder on vehicles. There are more cracks and /\ shaped rocks. I really like all the lines that can be taken, but of course I want for more.