Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Competition Legality Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I think one of the big issues is contacting the heads of park activities. Make sure you get a hold of them and find out the limits of what you can or can't do. After that, ask them to submit a written document, signed and dated that you can keep for your records, so if a park ranger hassles you, hand them the paper, and tell them to call that guy if he has anymore issues, since we have the clearance to do so, and it is his facts that need checking.

I know the few times I have called different park offices, they have specifically laid out rules for remote control vehicles (because of planes, they looked at cars and boats too, and established those rules).

I know skippy has been trying like mad to get people up to his house. His rocks look real nice from what I've seen, and its private property. However, building a course would be fun for only so long. Eventually lines are exasperated and you want a change of environment.

Besides, natural rock faces are way more fun than man made ideas.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
I think one of the big issues is contacting the heads of park activities. Make sure you get a hold of them and find out the limits of what you can or can't do. After that, ask them to submit a written document, signed and dated that you can keep for your records, so if a park ranger hassles you, hand them the paper, and tell them to call that guy if he has anymore issues, since we have the clearance to do so, and it is his facts that need checking.

I know the few times I have called different park offices, they have specifically laid out rules for remote control vehicles (because of planes, they looked at cars and boats too, and established those rules).

I know skippy has been trying like mad to get people up to his house. His rocks look real nice from what I've seen, and its private property. However, building a course would be fun for only so long. Eventually lines are exasperated and you want a change of environment.

Besides, natural rock faces are way more fun than man made ideas.
Skippy's place looks good but I ain't driving to Montana.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:18 PM   #23
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
Nice!

It does seem that almost every rule is in place to protect the safety of park guests. Mostly to insure that the park/city is not sued if something happens.
That is why most parks in CA require a group event to not only have a permit but also carry insurance for the day. Purchasing insurance for a day of rc rock crawling is most likely what is going to kill this.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 01:27 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
That is why most parks in CA require a group event to not only have a permit but also carry insurance for the day. Purchasing insurance for a day of rc rock crawling is most likely what is going to kill this.
For now, people in Colorado are not nearly as stupid as Californians and their sue happy attorneys. I still can't believe that when I went to the Rennaisance Festival, here in Colorado, they had an elephant marching through the little area with thousands of people around. The elephant was completely loose but was being directed by a trainer. The elephant was knocking people out of the way and to the ground. If that would have gone on in California, there would have been lawyers running after the elephant, suing the elephant, the city, the trainer, the county, the state, Africa(where the elephant was from), the trainers mom, and the festival.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:41 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I have been wanting to put together a brochure type document for just this very reason. It could have all the eco-speak these guy want to hear.

My experience with Ranger's is when you mention motorized vehicles the shut down, but if you take the time to go out and show them your r/c trucks, or show them pictures you are more likely to get a positive response.

If anybody is interested I would be glad to help

Lucky for us the Ranger at Buck's Pocket will let us do what ever we want.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

What about holding comps in National Forest or BLM land areas?
Deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #27
CSR
RCC Addict

We haven't had any problems like this here in the southeast.... yet. The Rangers have been cool, and hopefully they'll stay that way. We just have to make sure the area is left as clean or cleaner than it was when we got there, and that other people using the areas are not disrupted.

We had an incident at the last Green River comp with a few competitors...... excessive drinking, yelling, cursing. We can't allow this to happen ever again. We usually draw a decent crowd of spectators at our events. Trouble is guaranteed if you upset a few local people or other recreationalist trying to use the same area.

Attendance at our events is usually 20+. People coming in from out of town and staying for a day or two..... brings in lots of money for local businesses. Local law enforcement is funded by the taxes paid by those businesses. ;) They want us there.... need us there. We shouldn't have any problems as long as everyone continues to conduct themselves in a manner that is courteous and respectful to the land and other land users.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:13 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
I really doubt you guys got one, but how bad would it have sucked to have people from all over the country in attendance and then some asshole ranger decides to shut you down. Same thing goes with the Green River comp, how would you all have liked to be sent home without being able to crawl?

I took the time in April to talk to the local Game Warden about doing events at Green River. I was told that so long as everything remained orderly, it did not effect people participating in other activities and attandance stayed below 50 people we would be alright.

However, with the rate things are expanding now I'll have to call him before we do another event there
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #29
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshi
What about holding comps in National Forest or BLM land areas?
1:1 event organizers have to obtain permits for things like Easter Jeep Safari, Montrose Madness, etc. The laws apply to all types of public land I believe.

From my understanding, similar to what Plays said, is that there are no remote control vehicles allowed in Colorado city parks.

I understand why the laws are that way and are in the best interest of everyone really.

I would like to follow UROC's lead and go to man made courses in parking lots. We could construct obstacles out of styrofoam and cover them with light weight material so they could be hauled in the back of trucks or on trailers.
We could then hold events in the parking lots of the local hobby shops (just like the local HobbyTowns here do with the cars) by working with them, access would be easier for spectators and competitors, we wouldn't have people walking around on cliffs and scrambling up steep rock faces, plus we could draw bigger crowds and more exposure.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 06:49 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
1:1 event organizers have to obtain permits for things like Easter Jeep Safari, Montrose Madness, etc. The laws apply to all types of public land I believe.

From my understanding, similar to what Plays said, is that there are no remote control vehicles allowed in Colorado city parks.

I understand why the laws are that way and are in the best interest of everyone really.

I would like to follow UROC's lead and go to man made courses in parking lots. We could construct obstacles out of styrofoam and cover them with light weight material so they could be hauled in the back of trucks or on trailers.
We could then hold events in the parking lots of the local hobby shops (just like the local HobbyTowns here do with the cars) by working with them, access would be easier for spectators and competitors, we wouldn't have people walking around on cliffs and scrambling up steep rock faces, plus we could draw bigger crowds and more exposure.
Actually planes are outlawed, except in specific air fields, but cars I have found to be ok nearly everywhere, except nitro ones, which can impede sound ordinances.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like you guys ran into the same problems we encountered early on...

ive given up for now :?

bulletproofcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:25 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

This is one of the reasons why I got permission for the january comp we are going to have out here. Just didn't want to deal with the hassles.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

After a lengthy conversation with the Park Manager for all of El Paso County, which includes Colorado Springs, he has granted me (us) full use and access to the parks. There are a few details that we are still discussing and some minor stipulations but it will not affect any future events that we will hold in El Paso County. I will get all the rules and regs tomorrow and post them here but as for now, we have complete access to Palmer Park to hold a full competition.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #34
R.I.P. Chip

You might wanna make sure that palmer park is run by el paso county, and not the city of CS. The city may have a different set of rules.

Also it would be wise to get something signed by him saying we can crawl, just so if anyone tries to give us the boot.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:17 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
You might wanna make sure that palmer park is run by el paso county, and not the city of CS. The city may have a different set of rules.

Also it would be wise to get something signed by him saying we can crawl, just so if anyone tries to give us the boot.
That is all taken care of.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:58 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

For the Moab comp next year we just hired a ex Moab police officer at our department...I'll find out any/all information so we will be fine when the time come...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

We, the ORCRC group, have been sort-of talking about renting/leasing space at a local fairgounds to hold competitions/events. Mostly because of the weather here in NW Oregon, sometimes it rains We planned on building courses to suit events and so forth. We'd like to do this to be able to allow more people to have fun. Some of our spots require a nice long hike through woods and it's not a smooth path either.... The easier we make it(location) the more people we can have get involved.

At one of our competitions we had a short climb up a rock section that had some moss on it... by the end of the day that rock looked a 1:1 did a burnout on it Pretty soon RC Crawlers will be hit by regulations.... We need to think about OUR future!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:33 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
At one of our competitions we had a short climb up a rock section that had some moss on it... by the end of the day that rock looked a 1:1 did a burnout on it Pretty soon RC Crawlers will be hit by regulations.... We need to think about OUR future!
Sean Connery: "Tread lightly, ya RC boss'turds"

Dirk, good to hear! Now start working on the boulderites. Did you show the El Paso county guy this site, or how what helped in convincing him?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:49 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Sean Connery: "Tread lightly, ya RC boss'turds"

Dirk, good to hear! Now start working on the boulderites. Did you show the El Paso county guy this site, or how what helped in convincing him?
I am a salesman.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:37 AM   #40
Colt Python/SR9c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
I am a big bullsh!tter.
fixed it for ya
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote