Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Seeking Advice on Hosting a Top Truck Challenge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Seeking Advice on Hosting a Top Truck Challenge

Hey y'all,

I'm in the process of setting up a TTC-type event and need some guidance. It won't be modeled exactly after the Four Wheeler magazine TTC, but it will have some similarities. Here's the rundown... Our region in Texas has two scale classes for comps. The "Daily Driver" class is more moderate rigs, while the "Trail" class is geared more toward buggies/truggies/etc. All are 1.9s. What I want to do is have a Scaler Truck Challenge (STC, if you will) where we take our scalers and compete in a variety of events.

Events will likely include:
mud bog
truck/sled pull
obstacle course/mini Rubicon
hill climb
rock race (likely a time trial)

The goal would be to have the event be completed entirely in one day so no one will need to worry about lodging if they're traveling. I want this first event to be pretty simple, which is why we're keeping our current scale rules to divide the classes up. Scoring would be based on time required to complete the event/course (fastest wins), followed by distance achieved. Each event would likely be weighted equally.

What I'm looking for is advice from those of you who've hosted or attending these types of events for RC trucks, either scale or not. Let's assume we have facilities/manpower to make courses for all of the above events. Are there any that are overrated or too much hassle to worry about? Likewise, are there any events not listed that are a "must have"? I want this to be fun to compete in, but also fun for the spectators. Do any of these events take a lot of time to run? Are any particularly quick to run?

Are there any "gotchas" we should be aware of? I realize we may need to truck in lots of water for the mud bog since it'll likely be dry wherever we host the event. What did you learn from participating in these events that you think we may benefit from? To the best of my knowledge, no one in the central Texas area has hosted an event like this so I'm looking to y'all for help.

FYI, tires will be limited to 1.9 max diameter and 4.5" max height. Should we put any kind of limitation on the kind of motor you can run? Would someone with a lathe motor have any hope of competing against a rig with a puller, assuming everything else is equal? Or is it that big a deal?

For anyone intestested, here's our scale rules, which are different from most:
http://www.txrcrca.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2108

I look forward to your responses and thanks in advance.

Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Saw that this hasn't received but a handful of views. I assumed this would be the best location for this, but perhaps I should post it elsewhere?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Sled pull is a blast. I would keep a minute amount of rules to leave it as a builders class. That way people can build as wild or conservative as they please.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Relaxed !

hit up warpig (tim) he did there's and he can help ya alot! check out the vid if ya hav'nt already!
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Oh, I'm a big fan of his video!! It's funny you mention him, though. I'm actually on the ORCRC site now reading up and getting ideas.