Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Course ideas for the Nationals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Course ideas for the Nationals

So, I've been kicking around an idea or two for Nationals this year. As most of you know, I'll be in charge of building most of the courses again this year. I've been trying to come up with ideas for bonuses, alternate gates, bridges, etc.

One thing that I will be incorporating this year involves changing a spare tire. Now don't freak out guys, if you don't normally run a spare on your rig, then you need to make a decision. Here are going to be the rules for this bonus.

On one street course and one Trail course you will have an option to change one rear tire after five gates, and run the last 5 gates with your spare. The spare that you use will not have to be within 1/4" of the tires you're running on your rig (like you would need to do to get scale points for a spare), it can be any tire or any size as long as it isn't on the banned list. It doesn't have to be on your truck for the whole competition, just for the spare tire change course. You may strap it anywhere on you rig for the first five gates, change it with a tool that you must carry on your person, and you must carry the tire that you replace the spare with for on your truck for the final 5 gates. The time will continue to run during all of this, and you will receive a -10 bonus.

I plan to try this at our April comp to see how it goes, and to see how well it is received by everyone.

I'll be posting other ideas as we get closer to May.

Please tell me what you think of this idea. Thanks, Tim.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I like it Tim, would be cool to see this at gate 5 like you stated and not at the end since you will have to decide if you "have time to waste" on the bonus
edge540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge540 View Post
I like it Tim, would be cool to see this at gate 5 like you stated and not at the end since you will have to decide if you "have time to waste" on the bonus
That's half the fun.....deciding if you want to carry an extra tire on the course, and if you want to have to drive 5 gates with a different tire on your rig. It'll make some people that don't normally carry a spare decide if it's worth it to put 5 or 6 ounces of extra weight somewhere that they don't normally carry it.

I might make you change 2 tires to make it fair Steve .
Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
www.team3sixrc.com

Now thats a great idea. Im down for it.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Ah..............

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

One thing that I would like to see is realistic winching. Nothing that you have to deadlift a rig, you know what I mean?

That was the only reservation I had from last year. Other than that it was all spot on

Old 03-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
Ah..............

So, is that a yes or a no ?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
RCC Addict

FWIW, I think the tire change option is cool as hell Not sure if I'll have the time to do it, but think it's cool none the less
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I like the idea and love how your mixing things up but I'm not sure that guys will necessarily take advantage of it. Here is my thinking.

I built my Trail rig with the full intent on not running a full size spare (mainly because there just so big and there is no where to place it). For Street class I can totally see the vision with this, but I'm just not feeling it for Trail. Real estate on a Trail rig is basically the same as a Street rig but the tires are so much bigger. Does that make sense?

I really like the idea and the concept behind it though.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I like the idea and love how your mixing things up but I'm not sure that guys will necessarily take advantage of it. Here is my thinking.

I built my Trail rig with the full intent on not running a full size spare (mainly because there just so big and there is no where to place it). For Street class I can totally see the vision with this, but I'm just not feeling it for Trail. Real estate on a Trail rig is basically the same as a Street rig but the tires are so much bigger. Does that make sense?

I really like the idea and the concept behind it though.

I'm kinda on the same level here...

don't let it go to your head.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Well, you guys better figure out how to pack a spare on your Trail rigs for at least one course, because it's going to happen. Of course this is only if you think you need the -10 bonus.....
Old 03-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'm just going to be lucky if I can make it this year.

I'll worry about logistics later
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Well I'm totally not going to need the -10, but I'll figure out a way to pack that SOB'in spare on there.

We can remove any tire, right?

Now I need to get a CO2 air ratched made for this event

Old 03-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well I'm totally not going to need the -10, but I'll figure out a way to pack that SOB'in spare on there.
You only have to carry it on the tire change course, not the other three.

Quote:
We can remove any tire, right?
Either rear tire.

Quote:
Now I need to get a CO2 air ratched made for this event
That would be sweet.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Sounds interesting I'm going to love the video with the CO2 air gun.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default Hi

Quote:
One thing that I would like to see is realistic winching. Nothing that you have to deadlift a rig, you know what I mean?

That was the only reservation I had from last year. Other than that it was all spot on

I agree never seen a real jeep winch up a cliff. Not sure about the spare tire thing though. But you know how to make sweet courses Tim so what ever it is I'm sure it will be epic.
madscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I like the idea It's a total scale repair like an axle fix they do for the TTC 1:1
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Winching off a cliff was bad arse last year What are you talking about my trail rig has enough room on the back for atleast 20 or 30 spares. I aint scared Ill change 2 of em. I dont even need a jack, Ill just lift the Bogey axle
Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Tire change Sounds like an awesome idea with me, my rig has two full size matching spares already. As for winching my rig is too heavy at 12lbs for any free hanging winching and I wouldn't be willing to risk it for points anyway. With the type of trucks I build I found most of the courses were much to difficult last year since My only emphasis in building a scale rig is that it look like a real truck and drive doing obstacles that look scale appropriate, and not obstacles just trying to be difficult or unrealistic for what a real rational off-roader would attempt. The rigs I am building this year are going to be even more "lightly modded stock truck" scale looking than my Land Rover last year so whether or not they can even make one gate I'm sticking to the total scale look regardless of the courses, it will be fun to try sticking to my scale guns anyway.
wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoming View Post
Tire change Sounds like an awesome idea with me, my rig has two full size matching spares already. As for winching my rig is too heavy at 12lbs for any free hanging winching and I wouldn't be willing to risk it for points anyway. With the type of trucks I build I found most of the courses were much to difficult last year since My only emphasis in building a scale rig is that it look like a real truck and drive doing obstacles that look scale appropriate, and not obstacles just trying to be difficult or unrealistic for what a real rational off-roader would attempt. The rigs I am building this year are going to be even more "lightly modded stock truck" scale looking than my Land Rover last year so whether or not they can even make one gate I'm sticking to the total scale look regardless of the courses, it will be fun to try sticking to my scale guns anyway.

I have alot of respect for you and your builds, your rover was awesome last year and I look forward to see what you bring this year.