RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Competitions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/competitions/)
-   -   Course ideas for the Nationals (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/competitions/237402-course-ideas-nationals.html)

War Pig 03-11-2010 11:12 PM

Course ideas for the Nationals

So, I've been kicking around an idea or two for Nationals this year. As most of you know, I'll be in charge of building most of the courses again this year. I've been trying to come up with ideas for bonuses, alternate gates, bridges, etc.

One thing that I will be incorporating this year involves changing a spare tire. Now don't freak out guys, if you don't normally run a spare on your rig, then you need to make a decision. Here are going to be the rules for this bonus.

On one street course and one Trail course you will have an option to change one rear tire after five gates, and run the last 5 gates with your spare. The spare that you use will not have to be within 1/4" of the tires you're running on your rig (like you would need to do to get scale points for a spare), it can be any tire or any size as long as it isn't on the banned list. It doesn't have to be on your truck for the whole competition, just for the spare tire change course. You may strap it anywhere on you rig for the first five gates, change it with a tool that you must carry on your person, and you must carry the tire that you replace the spare with for on your truck for the final 5 gates. The time will continue to run during all of this, and you will receive a -10 bonus.

I plan to try this at our April comp to see how it goes, and to see how well it is received by everyone.

I'll be posting other ideas as we get closer to May.

Please tell me what you think of this idea. Thanks, Tim.

edge540 03-11-2010 11:43 PM

I like it Tim, would be cool to see this at gate 5 like you stated and not at the end since you will have to decide if you "have time to waste" on the bonus

War Pig 03-12-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edge540 (Post 2352332)
I like it Tim, would be cool to see this at gate 5 like you stated and not at the end since you will have to decide if you "have time to waste" on the bonus

That's half the fun.....deciding if you want to carry an extra tire on the course, and if you want to have to drive 5 gates with a different tire on your rig. It'll make some people that don't normally carry a spare decide if it's worth it to put 5 or 6 ounces of extra weight somewhere that they don't normally carry it.

I might make you change 2 tires to make it fair Steve :mrgreen:.

team3six 03-12-2010 09:24 AM

Now thats a great idea. Im down for it.

kaetwo 03-12-2010 03:34 PM

Ah..............

:shock:

kaetwo 03-12-2010 03:35 PM

One thing that I would like to see is realistic winching. Nothing that you have to deadlift a rig, you know what I mean?

That was the only reservation I had from last year. Other than that it was all spot on "thumbsup"

8)

War Pig 03-12-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaetwo (Post 2353388)
Ah..............

:shock:

So, is that a yes or a no :|?

montana.matt 03-12-2010 07:23 PM

FWIW, I think the tire change option is cool as hell8) Not sure if I'll have the time to do it, but think it's cool none the less"thumbsup"

kaetwo 03-12-2010 07:25 PM

I like the idea and love how your mixing things up but I'm not sure that guys will necessarily take advantage of it. Here is my thinking.

I built my Trail rig with the full intent on not running a full size spare (mainly because there just so big and there is no where to place it). For Street class I can totally see the vision with this, but I'm just not feeling it for Trail. Real estate on a Trail rig is basically the same as a Street rig but the tires are so much bigger. Does that make sense?

I really like the idea and the concept behind it though.

8)

XSRCdesign 03-12-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaetwo (Post 2353751)
I like the idea and love how your mixing things up but I'm not sure that guys will necessarily take advantage of it. Here is my thinking.

I built my Trail rig with the full intent on not running a full size spare (mainly because there just so big and there is no where to place it). For Street class I can totally see the vision with this, but I'm just not feeling it for Trail. Real estate on a Trail rig is basically the same as a Street rig but the tires are so much bigger. Does that make sense?

I really like the idea and the concept behind it though.

8)

I'm kinda on the same level here...

don't let it go to your head.

War Pig 03-12-2010 07:52 PM

Well, you guys better figure out how to pack a spare on your Trail rigs for at least one course, because it's going to happen. Of course this is only if you think you need the -10 bonus.....

XSRCdesign 03-12-2010 08:03 PM

I'm just going to be lucky if I can make it this year.

I'll worry about logistics later

kaetwo 03-12-2010 08:04 PM

Well I'm totally not going to need the -10, but I'll figure out a way to pack that SOB'in spare on there.

We can remove any tire, right?

Now I need to get a CO2 air ratched made for this event :lol:

8)

War Pig 03-12-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaetwo (Post 2353821)
Well I'm totally not going to need the -10, but I'll figure out a way to pack that SOB'in spare on there.

You only have to carry it on the tire change course, not the other three.

Quote:

We can remove any tire, right?

Either rear tire.

Quote:

Now I need to get a CO2 air ratched made for this event :lol:

That would be sweet.

Stormin2u 03-12-2010 08:30 PM

Sounds interesting I'm going to love the video with the CO2 air gun.

madscrambler 03-12-2010 08:31 PM

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaetwo (Post 2353390)
One thing that I would like to see is realistic winching. Nothing that you have to deadlift a rig, you know what I mean?

That was the only reservation I had from last year. Other than that it was all spot on "thumbsup"

8)

I agree never seen a real jeep winch up a cliff. Not sure about the spare tire thing though. But you know how to make sweet courses Tim so what ever it is I'm sure it will be epic. "thumbsup"

Krawler Konceptz 03-12-2010 09:10 PM

I like the idea "thumbsup" It's a total scale repair like an axle fix they do for the TTC 1:1 :twisted:

edge540 03-12-2010 09:15 PM

Winching off a cliff was bad arse last year "thumbsup" What are you talking about my trail rig has enough room on the back for atleast 20 or 30 spares. :shock: I aint scared Ill change 2 of em. I dont even need a jack, Ill just lift the Bogey axle 8)

wyoming 03-14-2010 12:35 PM

Tire change Sounds like an awesome idea with me, my rig has two full size matching spares already. As for winching my rig is too heavy at 12lbs for any free hanging winching and I wouldn't be willing to risk it for points anyway. With the type of trucks I build I found most of the courses were much to difficult last year since My only emphasis in building a scale rig is that it look like a real truck and drive doing obstacles that look scale appropriate, and not obstacles just trying to be difficult or unrealistic for what a real rational off-roader would attempt. The rigs I am building this year are going to be even more "lightly modded stock truck" scale looking than my Land Rover last year so whether or not they can even make one gate I'm sticking to the total scale look regardless of the courses, it will be fun to try sticking to my scale guns anyway.

edge540 03-14-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyoming (Post 2356138)
Tire change Sounds like an awesome idea with me, my rig has two full size matching spares already. As for winching my rig is too heavy at 12lbs for any free hanging winching and I wouldn't be willing to risk it for points anyway. With the type of trucks I build I found most of the courses were much to difficult last year since My only emphasis in building a scale rig is that it look like a real truck and drive doing obstacles that look scale appropriate, and not obstacles just trying to be difficult or unrealistic for what a real rational off-roader would attempt. The rigs I am building this year are going to be even more "lightly modded stock truck" scale looking than my Land Rover last year so whether or not they can even make one gate I'm sticking to the total scale look regardless of the courses, it will be fun to try sticking to my scale guns anyway.

I have alot of respect for you and your builds, your rover was awesome last year and I look forward to see what you bring this year. "thumbsup"