Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Competition Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #21
Colt Python/SR9c

Default Re: Competition Rules

why do you guys want to keep the gates open so wide for? even if you use X-factor axles, i don't see why you would need a 30"gate or so. how wide are the Factor axles anyway ( WMS-WMS ) but my hybrid straight axle is 17.5" wide ( outside of tire-outside of tire) and a 24" gate would give me 3" on each side basically to pass through, giving me some room if i have to take a screwy line.. but the rules are looking pretty good
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2004, 07:05 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I posted a poll to help solve the gate width issue
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:02 AM   #23
PapaGriz Yo

Sam, I like the list of rules.

I would like to suggest that backup penalty points should not be given to a truck that backs up less than the wheelbase, as determined by the judge. Like Toyofast said, the Aussie rules seem to be working for them so try to incorprate them.

As far a gate width goes 30" seems way too wide, that gives my Clod 16.5" of room to fit, I'll take it but 20" seems more reasonable. I dont really care, I will make my rig fit, we just need a number but I agree that x-factor axles should be accounted for. Again, what about the Aussie rules? BTW I already voted in the poll.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #24
R.I.P. Chip

I am thinking we should also set a max tire size.
I think the Kongs should be plenty for what we are doing, no bigger than that.

Rules like tire size and max gate width will keep the size of the vehicles in check.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:22 AM   #25
Colt Python/SR9c

well how much bigger than the kongs can ya get :?
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:06 AM   #26
R.I.P. Chip

Just keeps people in line, If the gate are at 30" and no tire size limit, what to keep me from showing up with a badass 50cc atv?
Old 04-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #27
PapaGriz Yo

Personally I'd like to see the tire size limit at 7 inches. That way all the kids (and adults) who have an aftermarket clod or TXT chassis and stock size tires can enter the comps and get hooked on the sport. Running Kongs puts the cost of tires and building a competitive truck to run them out of reach of alot of people. I think if you want the sport to grow, people just getting started need to feel like they have a chance to be competitive and I for one would like to see the sport grow. Think how many Emaxxes there are out there, but who is gonna enter a comp with their locked EMaxx when there are 10 X-Factor based trucks lined up all running kongs. Just a thought.

I'll compete no matter what. I'm not afraid to thow money at my truck!
Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 PM   #28
R.I.P. Chip

Kongs aren't always an advantage. They break a lot more stuff.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:27 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

some would say its the cost of the game, if you want to play you got to pay.

i personally dont think kong are that great of a tire so i see no reason to make a limit.
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #30
PapaGriz Yo

I'm not trying to start a debate on what is better and I agree they are not necessarily an advantage, I would just like to do what it takes to help new people get into the sport.
An example is the 4wd club I belong to, most of us run 38-40 inch tires and have well set up rigs. When a possible new member meets us for a run and they have 33's they tend to think they dont belong and leave, so as a result our club is not very big.

I dont want to drag this topic out cuz there is still lots of decisions to be made. I have spoke my peace, if noone brings it up again then I wont either.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:43 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

i think there should be a boundry between 2.2 and maxx and up. but i think the little guys can run with the big dogs it just takes a drifferent type of driver. i could see what your talking about when it come to real offroad but RC i see no point the price differance is not there and giant tires are no better. IMO
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:56 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

I think there should be different classes, like say a scale class(2.2 crawlers), some kind of sportsman like class where there are limits on wheelbase, width, and tire size, and then say an extreme class where anything goes.
RcRock-Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:16 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Here are my thoughts, on this one. I think there should be some sort of seperation between 2.2 and the bigger tired crawlers, however reward the 2.2 guys who want to run with the maxx/txt/clod guys. Also I feel that some sort of stock and unlimited breakdown would draw more people. There are a lot more people with a bone stock EMaxx, or similar truck, than those who have the full on built rigs.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:32 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I don't how many guys run the smaller rigs, buy if this website is a gauge I would say not too many would show-up at a contest since the don't show up here
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:20 PM   #35
Pebble Pounder

I've seen quite a few scale and 2.2 crawlers, especially now that there are some affordable small solid axles (TLT-1). But i agree that classes would help people who arent hardcore crawlers yet get a taste of what its like.
RcRock-Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:31 PM   #36
RCC Addict

I may have made several mistakes when I wrote those rules up really fast. You see, I was at work and sneaking it in while pumping out other paperwork. I definitely screwed up on the penalty - and + points. Oh well, I will fix that.

The gates, I may have jumped too far out on the width of the gates, but I had some idea in my head without having a true RC crawler yet to base it off of. I noticed though that the Aussies are using this as their width rule:
"Gate pegs will be placed a nominal 30” +/- 6” apart depending on course layout and conditions. " How well is working out for you guys?

As for classes, what we can do instead is go ahead and jumble everyone into the same class, but also separate them at the same time. So, everyone is competing against everyone on the same courses. However, their would be subtle divisions that get recognized. So, a 1:18th class and a 1:10th class (based probably on tires for the most part and width of the axles or something) would be separate divisions. However, they all compete on the same courses, same rules, etc. At the end of the day, there is a winner in each division and a winner amongst the whole event. So then you don't have to worry about losing to another class of vehicle (unless are in the big rig class and get wooped by a mini crawler hehehe) What do you guys think? We can settle the class thing though in another posting.

Personally, I plan to build a smaller crawler. One like the one I found on http://www.da-juggy.com/ would be sweet. Boy wouldn't you be pissed to be beaten by the little guy. Its the whole Suzuki Samurai taking out the big American truck wheeler story all over again

I love that rig. I want one.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #37
PapaGriz Yo

I think a 5.5" tire and under class would be great and then a 5.5" tire and above class. A 5.5" and under class would be great for Maxx's, bruisers, tlt's, and clod's running Masher 2000's on a 2.2 rim or Maxx tires. These are very capable rigs and would provide a way for stock Maxx and even stock clods to get into the fun w/o a lot of effort. Drawing people into the sport is the only way to make it grow.

I understand that right now there may not be enough trucks show up to an event and everything should then be lumped together but I think we should plan for the future when there is more attendance.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

I have to add that Dan's little TLT and Ryan's 8x8 TLT kicked everyone's ass at the comp and playing follow the leader. The only reason I think the 2.2's need their own class is so I have a fighting chance at winning

I'd almost make 3 classes,
1. Clod/Maxx
2. 2.2
3. Kongs
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Where would I come in with inflatable tires that have adjustable height from 4.5" to 6.5" :P
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:14 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
Where would I come in with inflatable tires that have adjustable height from 4.5" to 6.5" :P
Dead last LOL
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote