Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: Official RCCrawler.com comp rules.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2004, 08:13 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Official RCCrawler.com comp rules.

Topic: Safety on the Course

Around here drivers have to crawl around on the rocks to follow their trucks on the course. 4 sec is to short to safely climb around, and start driving again at times. I don't want to see people twisting ankles, and breaking legs from jumping around on the rocks.

Allowing a longer pause 10-15 sec after completeing a gate for the driver to safely reposition himself for the next section of the course.
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2004, 08:16 AM   #22
Ace
Rock Crawler

Scales are about $30 shipped on ebay. Charge every competitor a buck a comp till ya pay for it. Accuracy? Well if ya want to skate the line on weight with your truck then you best have a way to adjust up and down slightly to the official comp scale.

Seriously, if you think a shafty that's heaver is on an even keel with a low weight low cg clod your fooling yourself. Personally I don't really care cause I'll run what ever fits the rules best but I hate to see any truck disadvantaged due to the rules.

Arguing like this will never get it done. Small points in the rules don't really matter. What does matter is a unified set of rules we can build our trucks too. I think Jason is the only logical person to set these. I'm looking forward to having the rules set.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:26 AM   #23
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlongisland
just one more thing. At Boulder Battle #1, we ran the simplified version of these rules and, in my opinion, found 1 serious problem.

#1 Rollovers. "Vehicles must be turned over sideways."

90% of the time, this will position the vehicle facing in the reverse direction. Secondly, our courses here have gates close together due to the terrain. We found that often when a rollover occurs, the truck will roll past a completed gate. Now the competitor has to redo a gate he/she has already completed. I believe some provision for re-position would greatly improve rollover situations.

i also think a 40 point boundary marker is a rather steep penalty, but thats up to you guys. and i don't think a minimum weight is a good idea. the rollover issue is most important in my opinion.
In the 1:1 world if you roll over, you can try to drive out of it, or the driver and spotter can roll it over. When this happens they only roll it over sideways. This is why we agreed on making the rule so we can only roll them over sideways.

If you roll back down through a set of gates you have already went through, then yes you need to go through them again, thats the way it is in 1:1. If you hit a cone that you already went past while you are rolling, you get the 10 point penelty as well.

As I told everyone here when we had our last comp. I do not like repositions, we are here to crawl, not pick our rigs up and carry them around. This is competition, if one guy out of the whole group can make it, looks like he's gonna win.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:31 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

TOPIC: Weight

Weight should not be an issue

#1 It would be difficult to inforce ( Getting scales to an event, having them certified as accurate etc.

#2 Weight has pros and cons on both sides. Any advantage either might have on one course might be negated on the next course.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:58 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
As I told everyone here when we had our last comp. I do not like repositions, we are here to crawl, not pick our rigs up and carry them around. This is competition, if one guy out of the whole group can make it, looks like he's gonna win.
First let me say I want unified rules for everyone as much as anyone.

I have been in all sorts of organized compeitions as a compititor, judge, and organizer.

I like the rules over all.

I think moving your vehicle by hand should be the stiffest penelty of all except bypass. The way it is now if you get stuck.... thats it. Next gate automatic bypass by points. The driver still ends up picking up the truck, but now its to the next section.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:35 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

in my opinion the "box" should be larger if you run kongs then you are only allowed a 16" WB i think the box should be larger to allow for longer WB experimentation
just my opinion
-Brad
team-nyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:53 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Topic: Rollovers

In the past we did rollovers the same way. Other wise it was a reposition. I guess repositions won't be allowed any more.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Why isn't winching allowed? I think winching should carry an initial point penalty but after it is given, the winch can be used throughout that section. In fact, I thought UROC assigned 10 points for winching but after that it you could use it throughout the course. I know most of you are running Kong'ed trucks and clods, but some of the scale guys might have a harder time, and I know the winch can help where we just can't widen the trucks enough for stability. Also, if you use the winch and had to stop the truck, you'd get the stop penalty.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:09 AM   #29
R.I.P. Chip

UROC's winching penalty is 30 points, max points is 40. I only saw 1 competitor all year use his winch.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Gotta say that is one comprehensive list of rules.

IMO the 'box' needs to be larger to accomodate the bigger x-factor, twin force, and maxx axled rigs out there. Some people may choose to run stock width kongs (not everyone can or has narrowed their Kongs) on their wide axled r/c's and 17" wide is too small. I would say 18-20" would be better and also allow for more customization in other crawlers like clods and txt's. I also think the length should be a few more inches also since Kong tire'd rigs usually run around a 17" wheelbase. With Kong tires that usually puts the length over 24". I would say 25"-26" might work better.

Some would say that puts people at a disadvantage running against these larger vehicles but that also means these bigger trucks will have a tougher time navigating on a tight course. It also means that smaller rigs will have more room and be at an 'advantage' b/c they can take more lines than the wider, bigger trucks can......say if the gates are set to 20" for instance. In other words running a bigger truck will net more clearance but at the same time it doesn't necesarily mean they will dominate in every type of situation.

I just think it evens out in the end. Bigger doesn't always work better and there are sacrifices with any crawler's design.

Course design would of course be a big factor in this as well.

I would just like to allow more variety in the rigs competing to make things more interesting.
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 08:10 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

ok well I would like to see a full list of the rules. I think jason is the main man so he should set them up
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:03 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Why isn't winching allowed? I think winching should carry an initial point penalty but after it is given, the winch can be used throughout that section. In fact, I thought UROC assigned 10 points for winching but after that it you could use it throughout the course. I know most of you are running Kong'ed trucks and clods, but some of the scale guys might have a harder time, and I know the winch can help where we just can't widen the trucks enough for stability. Also, if you use the winch and had to stop the truck, you'd get the stop penalty.

As good of an idea as that sounds, you gotta wonder what defines scale. I mean just because a rig has 2.2's does not in any way mean it's scale and it would be hard to really judge at a competition what exactly is scale.

That's assuming you ment that only scale trucks could use the winch, sorry if I took that wronge.

In any case I dont see why it wouldnt be allowed with the heavy point penalty, I mean you would almost certainly max out point wise if you were to use the winch.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:39 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock1024
ok well I would like to see a full list of the rules. I think jason is the main man so he should set them up
Ty, click on the link in the first post of this thread. Jason has already done it.

Use the Force young Jedi
Old 12-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

sorry I didnt see that thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

sorry I didnt see that thanks
Old 01-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Well since the last week of posts where LOST when badger transfered the site over to a new server I dug thru my temp files and found my post to copy here again....

Wow...nice job on compling rules for the RC's. But like others I've got some questions and comments.....

Page 4, Axles, All axles must be mechanically differentiated (geared)
Does that mean no hydraulicly driven axles? or does it mean no belt driven alxes? Sorry its just not clear to me what this means......

Page 5, Suspension, Manual suspension controls are not approved.
Can that be changed to say "Forced Articulation suspension controls are not approved." So it doesn't get confused with remote adjustable hieght control (eg. a winch attached to teh axle).

Page 7, Teams changing gates, moving or adding rocks, or modifying the course in any way will result in penalties ranging
from 5 point to 40 points.

Can you use the remote control vehicle to move and object on the course intentially? What happens if your tires move and object while attempting to drive it? I kow this sounds nit picky but not all objects in a course are inmovable.......

Page 8, 1.15. Rollover, 3.1.28. Ten (10) Rollover points will be issued. If the vehicle cannot right it’ s self or if the competitor chooses, he may flip the vehicle back over. Vehicle must be turned over sideways, not end to end, and two (2) of the tires must remain in the same position as they were when the vehicle was upside down.
Does the competitor or a judge roller the vehicle back over? also do you just roll the vehicle back over onto the sidewall sof the tires and then down on all fours (thus relocating it sideways like 1:1 crawlers) or you you just pick it up and "reposition" the vehicle so the tires macth up to where it was when it was upside down. again, I don't care which it is, just need some clarification.

Then the last question - Can the vehicle be changed or modified between courses? examples would be can you swap tires, change ride hieght, etc...... I didn't see anything in the rules about this one way or the other.
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Then SR5Dave replyed with this.......

Quote:
Thats a good idea; having the judge reposition the rig. We ran into some confusion with that at the last AZ comp.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #38
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
Well since the last week of posts where LOST when badger transfered the site over to a new server I dug thru my temp files and found my post to copy here again....
I don't remember every saying I LOST any posts. This is definitly one of the threads I am going to restore WHEN I CAN.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Sorry, I didn't mean it that way........ Anyways I just wanted to get that post back because I wanted some input on it.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:03 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
Sorry, I didn't mean it that way........ Anyways I just wanted to get that post back because I wanted some input on it.

Good Luck.

I think the rules are pretty much written in stone, and not open for discussion