Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

View Poll Results: How wide (inches) should gates be for crawling competition?
18 0 0%
19 0 0%
20 3 13.04%
21 1 4.35%
22 3 13.04%
23 2 8.70%
24 9 39.13%
24-30 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Gate width poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2004, 06:58 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Gate width poll

Seems to be a sticking point in developing Competition Rules, so lets vote
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gate width poll

I haven't been involved in an RC competition yet, so my vote probably shouldn't count. However, I am bum-rushing the fun and want one soon.

So, I was looking at my stock Clod at home and it rang it at around 15.5 inches wide (or was that 14.5?). So 30 may be too wide. However, I still voted for the 24 - 30 just because I have seen some pretty darn wide crawlers and hitting a cone just because you are too wide sucks. Although, a good point about keeping the gates narrow is that it will automatically keep people in check with how wide they make their rigs.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:04 AM   #3
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam
Although, a good point about keeping the gates narrow is that it will automatically keep people in check with how wide they make their rigs.

-Sam
This was my intention, keeps people from building an RC Go-cart!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:45 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I went with 22", since it is nice and narrow, which makes gates more technical, but is wide enough to allow for different tires, and axles.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

i would say 24" because its a nice even 2 feet small enough to make people know were they have to go but to also give you more then one line to get there. IMO
skyjacker_rc_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:16 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Ya 24 seems like the best. It's not to big or to small.
RcRock-Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 06:07 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I agree that the gate width will limit how wide/big people build these trucks, because there is no guildlines on size. I think this area of RC will take off big in the next year or two. Then there will be guild lines for size, but 24" is what I think..
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i hope it takes off it seems to be an overlooked part of rc. :(
Old 04-22-2004, 08:04 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I think its just new. Five years ago there wernt to many 1:1 crawlers driving around, and now I see one a day. Its progressing fast. Once there is a few compititions and one good exposure from the comp, it will be huge. I think most people are hesitant because, you just cant buy one of these trucks. You have to build a lot of the parts. I just happen to like that the most.
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I think gate width should/does matter on the obsticle at hand.

For those of you spitting out numbers without doing a comp will soon find out how tough it can be once there are limitations. Base the width of the gate(s) on driver skill, rigs and obsticles running.

just my .002 worth.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

good point it wrilly depends on the obsticale. i think its sick when there are multiple line for one obsticale it makes it more fun. but if you want to crunch numbers and need a book i think the standard should be about 24" for the brainless lol IMO
Old 04-22-2004, 02:25 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Ya it definately does depend on the obstacles becuase the harder they are the more likely the driver will need to be able to pick different lines.
RcRock-Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:42 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

RULE#(wahtever)
Contest gates shall be (blank) inches. However course desighner maybe increase width of a gate if he determines no advantage is gained by increasing width of gate.

How does that sound
Old 04-22-2004, 04:19 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

sounds good.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

We set our gates at 30" +/- 6" depending upon the course / obstacles. We usually set the gates at the other side of a difficult obstacle so that to earn the gate points the obstacle must be sucessfully negotiated.

I can tell you that narrow gates at the top of step-ups are very tricky no matter how well you line yourself up cos if you have to punch the truck up a difficult climb it is very very difficult to control the slight sideways movement of the truck and 6" sideways movement isn't very much in a low traction / difficult situation.

A wider rig (say 18"+ with x-factor axles and jumbo maxx tyres) might be more stable but really limits your options thru gates whereas a skinny rig (say 13" clod axles with skinnies) will have lots of lines thru the gate and be able to line up for the next obstacle without a lot of back and fill.

As you design more courses you will get a feel for what is reasonable and driveable. Also depends upon what the majority is driving and which direction you want your local scene to develop.
MudCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Our rules are here if you are interested.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Mo...pic.php?t=5867
MudCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:53 PM   #17
RCC Addict

MudCow - Thanks for the link. It is neat to see many of the same ideas discussed on two different sites almost a year apart (sort of). The rules you have look good and reasonable for a great FUN competition. My favorite line was this "Keep it simple, keep it fun. " So true.

Seeing that this is growing fast, from an outsider anyway, it is great to see all the ideas being locked down early so people can create within the bounds. With that said, my thought on the 30"s was to make the gates wide enough so that they weren't so much the obstacle. The rocks would be. A great course designer might not have to rely on cones so much, and just use them to get through the course. A good example of a 1:1 competition that failed because of the cones was the first UROC 2004 event. Though it failed on many levels, it was a great example of a cone course and not an obstacle course. What do I know though, I gave up competing once my wallet emptied out. :P

Either way, as was stated many times on the Outer Limits site, try the rules as we put down without over thinking the rules, and see how well they work. Then, after all is done, come back and perform a "Lessons Learned". Just get some stuff down and have at it.

-Sam

P.S. Just to clarify, the Poll should ask what is the minimum width of a gate. Some obstacles may not need to be the narrowest because of multiple lines etc.
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 10:57 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

We need more votes
Old 04-27-2004, 11:59 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx
We need more votes
I vote you all quit talking about gate widths and actually try it with others in a comp enviroment Then you'll see how well it works for each course you setup.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:03 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast

I vote you all quit talking about gate widths and actually try it with others in a comp enviroment Then you'll see how well it works for each course you setup.

Just trying to get as much input as possible......................... Mudcow, and his fellow crawlers down under. Have already had some nice events. They use larger gates than we seem to want. I really don't care..........I think it should be up to the course designer

I would rather restrict truck length, width, and tire size, but that seems to bother people!

I would like to see some rules before I show up.