Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: K.O.H. Type Scale Race intrest ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: K.O.H. Type Scale Race intrest ??

theres stock classes for both 1.9 and 2.2

and a mod class for 1.9 and 2.2's

how is that leaving anyone out?

rules what rules?

only rules are no HOG or FOG.
Rig must look scale..
and a few WB specs for the classes
I don't really care about the weight limits..

only thing to know is start/finishline and the routes for each lap
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post
theres stock classes for both 1.9 and 2.2

and a mod class for 1.9 and 2.2's

how is that leaving anyone out?

rules what rules?

only rules are no HOG or FOG.
Rig must look scale..
and a few WB specs for the classes
I don't really care about the weight limits..

only thing to know is start/finishline and the routes for each lap
Guess I was reading into the rules too much then. My fault. I saw a few times "Vehicle must be scale in appearance for rock race style racing" but in particular for the 2.2 competitor class. Would a honcho bodied or jeep bodied rig with 2.2 tires be excluded from this class? Those bodies don't shout "rock racing" to me. They wouldn't fit in the 2.2 Trophy class.

I am not being difficult, I am just asking. So correct me if I am wrong.

I am all for this type of event, why you wanna wait til 2014?
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Guess I was reading into the rules too much then. My fault. I saw a few times "Vehicle must be scale in appearance for rock race style racing" but in particular for the 2.2 competitor class. Would a honcho bodied or jeep bodied rig with 2.2 tires be excluded from this class? Those bodies don't shout "rock racing" to me. They wouldn't fit in the 2.2 Trophy class.

I am all for this type of event, why you wanna wait til 2014?

2.2 trophy is a builder class..

2014..to get the word out,let everyone have time to build.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yea. More rules are awesome, always, said no one in ever. In ever.

Anyways, I read through the rules and one of my 2.2 scale trucks is excluded because it's 17.5" wb. But it will have scale tow rig to go with it.

Not related to my above comment but I just don't like seeing a lot of rules that could exclude new comers to these events. I said could.
Can I run my MOA in the shafty class at the next comp? Rules are silly, right?

Rules keep it fair for everyone. No rules in motorsport = "he who has the most money wins".
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
2.2 trophy is a builder class..

2014..to get the word out,let everyone have time to build.
Correct.
Where would a honcho or jeep bodied rig with 2.2's fit? Doesn't look like a rock racer. The 2.2 competitor class states it has to look like a rock racer.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Can I run my MOA in the shafty class at the next comp? Rules are silly, right?

Rules keep it fair for everyone. No rules in motorsport = "he who has the most money wins".
Ok. I am just asking questions.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok. I am just asking questions.
No worries. I've been involved in enough full size and RC motorsports over the last 30 years to know that rules are very, very necessary. Otherwise somebody that knows what they are doing, and has a decent budget will make a mockery of the class. I did it once, which completely killed interest the class, and regretted it afterwards.

Back to KOH racing at SORVP!
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
No worries. I've been involved in enough full size and RC motorsports over the last 30 years to know that rules are very, very necessary. Otherwise somebody that knows what they are doing, and has a decent budget will make a mockery of the class. I did it once, which completely killed interest the class, and regretted it afterwards.

Back to KOH racing at SORVP!
Gotcha. I was just thinking of a person walking up to one of these events and possibly being excluded from the fun because his truck is isn't 100% in spec. I am probably just reading into the rules too hard.

We'll be out there this Sunday, come on down!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #29
Jerry's RC Garage

[QUOTE=Szczerba;4538703]Guess I was reading into the rules too much then. My fault. I saw a few times "Vehicle must be scale in appearance for rock race style racing" but in particular for the 2.2 competitor class. Would a honcho bodied or jeep bodied rig with 2.2 tires be excluded from this class? Those bodies don't shout "rock racing" to me. They wouldn't fit in the 2.2 Trophy class.

I am all for this type of event, why you wanna wait til 2014? [/QUOTE
I help run the U4rc events in California. The only reason there is not 2.2 trail class is because there is only one person out here that runs it. So it doesn't make since to make a whole class for one person. So you can add the class or run it the 2.2 competitor class. Hope this helps.
jerry2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ive been dreaming this up for the past few months..
wanted to see if it got any response before I put anymore into it.

Ultimate Scale KOH/Ultra style race..sometime in 2014..
at Superlift Orvpark.

Race rig..pit crew..support truck..everything that's KOH turn it into a scale event.

Multiple laps with different routes for each lap...@1hr a lap.
Pit crew/Support truck assistance..
Driver/pitcrew radio's..

Amb transponder system for accurate time keeping.
*Race Teams will need their own Amb Personal Transponders*

*Teams will be responsible for there own radio's as well*

Race rigs/support truck roles can be swapped around if the Team so chooses.

When/if the race rig breaks down on course he then radio's to his pit crew/support truck for tools/parts needed..location of breakdown..MOVE IT!
The scale Support truck then hauls the parts needed to broken down Team rig.
Support rigs can cut thru course,does not have to follow the layout of course,but when on course you must go in the intended direction of course and race vehicles have the right of way.

The Driver can make minor repairs on course..battery swaps,tighten lug nuts,swap a drive shaft,tighten set screws.

Driver or Pitcrew can make repairs on vehicle on course.
Repairs must be made closest to the spot on course where rig broke down,but not in the way of traffic.

Rigs must have proper lights,just like the KOH/Ultra rigs.

Race rig specs we will follow what U4Rc has laid down.
simple enough..Thanks Jerry!

Rules..
It has to look like something you would see on a 1:1 trail, race, or street rig.

All Classes:
MOA are not allowed. Non-scale race-track style vehicles are not allowed. Battery must be chassis mounted, and hidden in a scale fashion. Electric powered vehicles only. No Comp, short course, cut n shut, or pin tires allowed. A tire must be a scale tire, either a licensed replica, or a non-licensed replica. Rigs not meeting specific class specs will be placed in the fairest class possible at the judge’s discretion.

1.9 Trail:
This class is for 1.9” tire clad vehicles that are box stock thru highly modified. Vehicle must be scale in appearance. Rim diameter must not exceed 1.9”at any point. No short course style rims allowed. Vehicles must have (2) solid axles. Vehicles must have rail style, tube, or twin vertical plate chassis. This class requires the rig to have a scale body like your typical 1.9 “scale”rig or TUFF Truck. Wheelbase must not exceed 13” and track width must not exceed 10”.

1.9 Competitor:
This class is for 1.9” tire clad rigs that are highly modified and resemble full size race vehicles. Vehicle must be scale in appearance for rock-race style racing. This class includes rigs running plastic chassis and/or roll cages. Open to any shaft driven, non-moa axle configuration. Single or double solid axle or independent suspension is allowed. Rim diameter must not exceed 1.9” at any point. Short course style rims are not allowed. Rail style, tub style and tube chassis’ are allowed. Wheelbase must not exceed 13” and track width must not exceed 11”. Rear steering is allowed.

2.2 Competitor:
This class is for 2.2” tire clad vehicles that are box stock thru highly modified. Vehicle must be scale in appearance for rock-race style racing. This class includes rigs running plastic chassis and/or roll cages. Open to any shaft driven, non-moa axle configuration. Single or double solid axle or independent suspension is allowed. Short course style rims are allowed. No Comp, short course, or pin tires allowed. A tire for this class must be a scale tire, either a licensed replica, or a non-licensed replica. It has to look like something you would see on a 1:1 trail, race, or street rig. Wheelbase must not exceed 14.5” and track width must not exceed 13”. Rear steering is allowed.

Trophy 2.2:
This is a builder’s class. This class is for 2.2” tire clad Ultra4 style rigs that are highly modified and highly resemble full size rock race vehicles. This class only includes rigs running full metal roll cages or, a metal upper cage attached to a factory skid plate. Meaning no plastic chassis component allowed except skid plate. You can use a factory skid plate, such as a Wraith, or Wreckluse skid. You could also use the metal portion of an Exo Skid, but not any plastic pieces attached to it. Vehicle must be very scale in appearance. Open to shaft driven, non-moa axle configurations. Single or double solid axle and non-factory independent suspensions (aka hand fab) are allowed. Rim diameter must not exceed 2.2” at any point. Short course style rims are not allowed. Rail style and tube style chassis’ are allowed. Minimum overall chassis height, we are currently researching what this should be, but we came up with 4.5”. Wheelbase must not exceed 14.5” and track width must not exceed 12.5”. Rear steering is allowed. Minimum vehicle weight 8lbs.
Cockpit area must have a driver. (Either Lexan driver insert or actual figurine).
Since our emphasis is on scale vehicles, terrain, and media, we are going to be strict about this driver requirement in 2.2 Trophy. The biggest change for this series is the helmet requirement and the fact that this will be enforced.

So a Team will consist of Race rig and Support truck and 2-3 Teammates.

Would really be awesome if this does happen..
if everyone had/has a trailer to haul there race rig on,getting video of them all pulling in to their pits.

Post up if you'd be interested or suggestions.
Just remember im really going for "Scale" in this setup and running and layout.

1. I know I'm not really close to your area to run but if I were How much room on the WB will we have?? Both my scalers are crew cabs and are very close to or over 13" WB right now there 1.55 but 1.9 is no problem to run on them. Also do these also account for the recovery rig. I would be running a 2.2 multi axle which I believe is 14.75 WB. All my builds are scale c-channel chassis leafed etc no tube work so the trophy class won't work.

2. If the rigs are interchangeable as stated from race rig to recovery rig how would that work from a 1.9 to a 2.2??

If I'm understanding right by swapping or interchanging it could work like this: my race rig breaks down, I send recovery out to repair see it can't be fixed and then resume race with recovery rig for remainder of section or race??

Or is it just one or the other can be used for that lap from the start to finish?

I'd love to do this style race so I'm super interested in joining up and just want to be clear on everything before I request time off work and plan trip etc etc.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcivic95 View Post
1. I know I'm not really close to your area to run but if I were How much room on the WB will we have?? Both my scalers are crew cabs and are very close to or over 13" WB right now there 1.55 but 1.9 is no problem to run on them. Also do these also account for the recovery rig. I would be running a 2.2 multi axle which I believe is 14.75 WB. All my builds are scale c-channel chassis leafed etc no tube work so the trophy class won't work.

2. If the rigs are interchangeable as stated from race rig to recovery rig how would that work from a 1.9 to a 2.2??

If I'm understanding right by swapping or interchanging it could work like this: my race rig breaks down, I send recovery out to repair see it can't be fixed and then resume race with recovery rig for remainder of section or race??

Or is it just one or the other can be used for that lap from the start to finish?

I'd love to do this style race so I'm super interested in joining up and just want to be clear on everything before I request time off work and plan trip etc etc.

--Dan
Each Team will have..1 race rig,1 support rig.
Race rig's are for racing,support rigs are for bringing parts to downed vehicle.
The role switching im talking about is the Drivers/Pit crew for the rigs can swap roles,not the rigs. You cant run a support rig to finish the race after your Race vehicle dies.

If you start a class, you finish that class,no switching around tires on vehicles in middle of race.

Recovery/support rig must be in scale size with the vehicle you race with.
no 2.2's doing support for a 1.9. Keep it scale.

Support rigs don't have to follow the wb rules,just as long as its scale.

Remember,i said keep lets keep it Scale?

If they don't do it at KOH it aint gonna fly in this Scale Race.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Reread this again today...couple ?'s

All Classes:
MOA are not allowed. Non-scale race-track style vehicles are not allowed. Battery must be chassis mounted, and hidden in a scale fashion. Electric powered vehicles only. No Comp, short course, cut n shut, or pin tires allowed. A tire must be a scale tire, either a licensed replica, or a non-licensed replica. Rigs not meeting specific class specs will be placed in the fairest class possible at the judge’s discretion.

1.9 Trail:
This class is for 1.9” tire clad vehicles that are box stock thru highly modified. Vehicle must be scale in appearance. Rim diameter must not exceed 1.9”at any point. No short course style rims allowed. Vehicles must have (2) solid axles. Vehicles must have rail style, tube, or twin vertical plate chassis. This class requires the rig to have a scale body like your typical 1.9 “scale”rig or TUFF Truck. Wheelbase must not exceed 13” and track width must not exceed 10”.

I was under the impression TVP was not considered so scale-ish?

1.9 Competitor:
This class is for 1.9” tire clad rigs that are highly modified and resemble full size race vehicles. Vehicle must be scale in appearance for rock-race style racing. This class includes rigs running plastic chassis and/or roll cages. Open to any shaft driven, non-moa axle configuration. Single or double solid axle or independent suspension is allowed. Rim diameter must not exceed 1.9” at any point. Short course style rims are not allowed. Rail style, tub style and tube chassis’ are allowed. Wheelbase must not exceed 13” and track width must not exceed 11”. Rear steering is allowed.

2.2 Competitor:
This class is for 2.2” tire clad vehicles that are box stock thru highly modified. Vehicle must be scale in appearance for rock-race style racing. This class includes rigs running plastic chassis and/or roll cages. Open to any shaft driven, non-moa axle configuration. Single or double solid axle or independent suspension is allowed. Short course style rims are allowed. No Comp, short course, or pin tires allowed. A tire for this class must be a scale tire, either a licensed replica, or a non-licensed replica. It has to look like something you would see on a 1:1 trail, race, or street rig. Wheelbase must not exceed 14.5” and track width must not exceed 13”. Rear steering is allowed.

Assume this is just a typo?

Trophy 2.2:
This is a builder’s class. This class is for 2.2” tire clad Ultra4 style rigs that are highly modified and highly resemble full size rock race vehicles. This class only includes rigs running full metal roll cages or, a metal upper cage attached to a factory skid plate. Meaning no plastic chassis component allowed except skid plate. You can use a factory skid plate, such as a Wraith, or Wreckluse skid. You could also use the metal portion of an Exo Skid, but not any plastic pieces attached to it. Vehicle must be very scale in appearance. Open to shaft driven, non-moa axle configurations. Single or double solid axle and non-factory independent suspensions (aka hand fab) are allowed. Rim diameter must not exceed 2.2” at any point. Short course style rims are not allowed. Rail style and tube style chassis’ are allowed. Minimum overall chassis height, we are currently researching what this should be, but we came up with 4.5”. Wheelbase must not exceed 14.5” and track width must not exceed 12.5”. Rear steering is allowed. Minimum vehicle weight 8lbs. Cockpit area must have a driver. (Either Lexan driver insert or actual figurine).
Since our emphasis is on scale vehicles, terrain, and media, we are going to be strict about this driver requirement in 2.2 Trophy. The biggest change for this series is the helmet requirement and the fact that this will be enforced.

1. Was hoping to run my custom ifs/DMG stiffy rig in this class, but sounds like it would not qualify with the very minimal plastic that is left over at the cage?
2. Is a minimum weight necessary?

Last edited by BC Racing; 11-07-2013 at 07:57 AM.
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Technically a TCS x-trailchassis is a TVP. Short course wheels ARE allowed in 2.2 C to help out the steering challenged Exo IFS hybrids. 2.2 Trophy is a builders class. Therefore, no stock cage pieces are allowed. The entire chassis MUST be fabbed. The weight limit was set to keep the scale in this class. We want to see accessories and accessories add significant weight. These were our thoughts when developing the vehicle guidelines.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Technically a TCS x-trailchassis is a TVP. True.....(suppose I was thinking ridgecrest or comp'r type's)

Short course wheels ARE allowed in 2.2 C to help out the steering challenged Exo IFS hybrids.
SC wheels help that much in turning radius? (serious question, i really dont know)
Helping with track width I can see (but @ 13" max, it shouldn't be much issue).
IMHO the exo hybrid's lack of steering is what it is, due to design. You can only clearance chubs/knucks and move the rack around so much.....i have been toying with 4ws, dig (free wheel only) or just stupid HP to help with my lack of throw.

2.2 Trophy is a builders class. Therefore, no stock cage pieces are allowed. The entire chassis MUST be fabbed. The weight limit was set to keep the scale in this class. We want to see accessories and accessories add significant weight. These were our thoughts when developing the vehicle guidelines.

...no worries, 2.2C for me it is then @ current build.

I see what your saying on the weight if were talking scale engines/extinguishers/fuel cells/light bars/seats/drivers/etc....stuff you would see on a real koh rig. (just hoping accessories, for this class anyway, doesn't equate to coolers/chain saws/bundles of wood/pets... yada yada yada)
What day is the race...
BC Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Racing View Post
SC wheels help that much in turning radius? (serious question, i really dont know)
Helping with track width I can see (but @ 13" max, it shouldn't be much issue).
IMHO the exo hybrid's lack of steering is what it is, due to design. You can only clearance chubs/knucks and move the rack around so much.....i have been toying with 4ws, dig (free wheel only) or just stupid HP to help with my lack of throw.

I don't have an Exo IFS rig, but according to the drivers that do, yes it's bad. One driver has added 4WS and it seems to be working so that's an option. Another removed the IFS and put a straight axle on a rig built specifically around the Exo IFS.

I see what your saying on the weight if were talking scale engines/extinguishers/fuel cells/light bars/seats/drivers/etc....stuff you would see on a real koh rig. (just hoping accessories, for this class anyway, doesn't equate to coolers/chain saws/bundles of wood/pets... yada yada yada)

You got it! That is the exact reasoning for the weight limit. There was one rig last series that was 12lbs.

You guys change whatever you want to suit your needs... no problem at all with us. Just like other series, when we run a Nationals the rules used will be the un-modified version.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Racing View Post

What day is the race...

undetermined..

still judging intrest..

as of now,im looking at @fall 2014.
that'll give everyone time to build if they need to.

And if the thread gets an overwhelming response we'll move the date up sooner.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Scale stuff on the Race vehicles would be what you'd see on a 1:1 KOH race rig.
No tons of stuff hanging off,just the basics you'd need.
Example..fire ext,powertank,tow ropes,hilift jack..etc

The Support trucks,you can do whatever you want to them as far as scale stuff.

ill try to find some pics of Race support trucks and post up
so you guys get the idear..
Old 11-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

mmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

support truck..

race rig and support truck..not a *KOH race rig*

race rigs and support trucks..
Old 11-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

zonks cat service truck
mmatthews is offline   Reply With Quote

K.O.H. Type Scale Race intrest ?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
any intrest in a scale redneck rally nos nut Michigan 7 02-13-2013 09:57 PM
Type Design K2-3L Scale Rig... kaetwo 2.2 Scale Rigs 47 10-14-2006 09:49 PM