Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: D&D Hobbies, Mesa, AZ June 5th...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 06:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default D&D Hobbies, Mesa, AZ June 5th...

The last event we had there earlier this month went over really well. I can't thank all the people who helped enough, it took everyone's help to make it possible.

Anyway, it drew so much interest that they want us back on June 5th for an actual comp! The only problem I can forsee is building the stages. Any ideas Mike? Anyone else? We're trying to find something fairly lightweight, portable, and challenging. We've been tossing around the idea of using rocks/blocks/whatever on a sheet of plywood (to act as sort of a mold), then covering with fiberglass matting and then spraying fiberglass on top. I'm not sure how well it would work or what kind of traction it would have, but the design possibilities are limited only by the wallets of those involved in the building process

Anyone have any ideas?

How many people think that they could make it?
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

By all means, bring the cx, I'd like to take a look at it. Do I need anything?....hmmm....how about a mobile crawling course?! Honestly, I'll take all the help I can get. We need to figure out a course, people to show up early and help set it up, people to stick around throughout the day to help answer questions, and of course, competitors!

Hey Mike, can we use that e-z-up again? That thing was invaluable!

It should be an awesome time for those that attend, it also drew tremendous interest from those who were there last time. At the last event, we were just penciled in on the flyer a couple of days before the event. This time, we were on the flyer when it was created, plus, everyone that saw it last time should show up and possibly tell others. So, by all rights, this one should definitely be bigger than the last.

Even if everyone in the area with a crawler just just show up for a bit, that would be great.

-Rich
Old 05-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

We're going to need everything we can get our hands on. I've still got the landscaping blocks that I had last time, but we need a bunch more stuff. Any kind of blocks/logs/whatever will work fine, but it's a PITA to set-up, arrange, and tear-down. I really don't mind the work, I just don't want to do all of it. About two or three of us set it up last time, and it came out pretty good.

Bring all the junk that you can find (or what will fit in the 'burb or trailer ) !

BTW, what's the deal with the user title and avatar?
Old 05-21-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Rich, I'm still trying to figure out something new to crawl on. I'll be there with as much as I can haul.

I'll make up a few more palats.
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
R.I.P. Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbks5
You don't like my avatar?

Yea, it's sweet!

It's also real cool that we have a vendor actually wanting to make products for crawlers and all you can do is say they suck.

However I have no problem with you expressing yourself as you see fit.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:29 PM   #6
R.I.P. Chip

Either way is fine with me.

You crack me up!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks Mike. If it wasn't for your pallet, we wouldn't have had anything worth crawling on last time. Anything that you can come up with would be appreciated. George said that he had a bunch of concrete blocks and remnants at his house, but no real way to get them up there. Maybe we can figure out something to haul them to D&D. That way, we might be able to just leave the stuff there somewhere, and it would be ready for the next time, instead of hauling it back and forth. I'll also bring all that mom's "danger ranger" can haul .

Steve, the event starts at 9:30AM, so I'll probably be there around 7:00 or so to setup. You can show up anytime you like if you want to help.

Same thing goes to everyone else that wants to help out. We can use all the help in setup and course materials that we can get. These guys at the LHS are doing their best to keep crawler related items in stock (lathe motors, tires/wheels, gd600's, etc....), so the least we can do is show up and show off our stuff!

Also, I'm going to come up with a basic list of items that I'd like for them to start carrying in stock. If you can think of anything, PM me and I'll add it to the list.

Thanks again,
Rich
Old 05-23-2005, 12:16 AM   #8

I should be able to make this for a few hours. I can bring some firewood...that is what I play on in the back yard. Works well for the 2.2 crowd.

David.
halfdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 05:38 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks Steve. Anything will work David, bring what you can, we'll add it to the pile.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:23 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Getting ready

Hi Rich, I getting my stuff together and wanted to let you know I'll be there shortly after 8:00am. I didn't have time ( or money, damn root canal) to fab up any more stunts. I'll bring the stuff I had before plus 2 ez-ups and a table/chairs.

See Ya in the Morning!!
Old 06-05-2005, 01:38 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sounds cool Mike, I'll see 'ya there at about the same time. I'm bringing the same thing I had last time too... As Mitch has probably told you already, we've got a new course in the works for next time.

TXT is running! Mitch was a lifesaver tonight and figured out my new radio for me, did the wiring for me, and even fixed my motor (turned a reg. mm around so that it's reversed).

It looks badass, now I can't wait to see how it wheels!

Later,
Rich
Old 06-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Talking

Well, even though today had it's fair share of problems... ...I had fun anyway. The first three pics are of the makeshift course we set up (next time we hope to have a MUCH lighter course made out of fiberglass). Like usual, there was so much going on that I forgot to take pics of everyone involved, but hopefully someone else did. Once again, thanks for all the help. I know that our in-town appearances are drawing interest because my "inside man" at the LHS is reporting phenominal sales of 645MG's, SR's, and other crawler related items. It wouldn't suprise me if we had a few more folks to go wheeling with shortly!
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Here's a couple more...
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

and my last three...
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The waiting was getting to me a bit but once the crawling started it was ALL GOOD. I know we all prefer to hit the REAL thing. However, an event like today can do wonders for growing the sport. I encourage others to get with their LHS and do an event or two. They love new business and it sure is nice to be able to go to the LHS and pick up a lathe motor or a 645MG gear set.

I got some good shots of the course while waiting but once we got started it was nothing but crawling.

NOT easy, just ask Ron.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:54 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Very Cool ! Great job guys. That "track" is great.
4XADICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Wow, looks like you guys had alot of fun. Thats a good setup, too bad its all bricks huh? Now I wish that I had made it out there but I guess there is always next time.
minitrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:17 PM   #18
The Wheels Keep Turning

an artificial course turned out allot more difficult to construct than we originally thought. There was no pre-running. So once it all started, we found it to be too tough. Thats especially bad when you are trying to attract people to the sport. So we stopped and tried to make things easier and more flowing. But even then it was difficult. The biggest problem was making a course out of square blocks. Plus, the blocks would move around. Anyway, live and learn. But it was still fun to get out. Hopefully the fiberglass course will be better.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:13 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Hey we should do this again!?
mesaAZclod is offline   Reply With Quote