Notices

Thread: Original Design (2009) - 2.2 and 1.9 dual stage foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #441
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New... 2.2 and 1.9 dual stage foams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I hate Losi Rubber, I don't sell it and I don't use it.
The set of Khaos tires I bought from you have Losi Boss Claw side walls.

I ordered a set of these new foams yesterday, and cannot wait to try them out.

Keep up the good work Eddie.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #442
RCC Addict

No need to worry about the inner foam shifting if you run Dlux wheels.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #443
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The problem with drilling the inners for vent holes, is the foams can move / shift on the wheel.
Not to object to the Boss but I don't think inner foam venting is an issue with SLW's since they are channeled (or any other channeled wheel). Or at least I have not had issues with venting the foams and running SLW's. Air moves freely through the inner foam holes and through the wheel vents, since the wheel channel creates a "tunnel".

I don't vent the tires for anything!

Just my 0.02
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #444
RCC Addict

Quote:
- Recommended Venting for Air Movement with the new design: Vent the tire.

The problem with drilling the inners for vent holes, is the foams can move / shift on the wheel. Then you are screwed if it happens on course in a comp. No air will pass through and the performance decrease is instantly noticeable. It has happened to me on both a crawler and in my wraith. Vent the tires, it's so much easier.

I hate holes in tires and I have spent the last few years telling everyone to vent the bead lock. The closed cell inner foam does not breathe at all though. A small leather punch for a tiny 1/16th hole is all you need in three spots around the tire.

Boss Claws:
I will refer you to my Team Drivers. I hate Losi Rubber, I don't sell it and I don't use it. Plus everyone has different weights, wheel widths, trucks, etc., etc., etc....

We made a new Double Deuce 5.25 closed cell inner. It was designed primarily with the Boss Claw in mind, but it has multiple scale applications as well. This size will be amazing in 2.2 Pit Bull tires as well. The inner is ready and in stock, but the outer foams are not. It will be 2 - 3 weeks before they will arrive and be in stock.

So with that said, you can buy whatever size Double Deuce you like for your BC's. A 5.5 will fit in the Boss Claw. Is it right for your truck? I don't know. If I knew all those answers, I wouldn't be designing and selling parts for Toy Trucks, I'd be in high end finance

As always, my family and I are grateful for everyone's support of Crawler Innovations and this new product line. Without you, there would be no Crawler Innovations. I am truly grateful for this opportunity and time in my life. Thank you for making it possible.
- Eddie
this is exactly what i was afraid of. i was thinking how the heck was i going to vent the foams properly running my dhII and dhs. now im debating cause i hat venting the tire. it makes me nervous about ripping it
Kratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #445
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
The set of Khaos tires I bought from you have Losi Boss Claw side walls.

I ordered a set of these new foams yesterday, and cannot wait to try them out.

Keep up the good work Eddie.

That set of tires was made as more of an ironic joke. It seemed tasteless to take pictures and really make mention of them so I never did. Although I was really pleased that those tires went to another vendor .

Thank you for your order. It is waiting for more CC BEC's to arrive which will be here tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Not to object to the Boss but I don't think inner foam venting is an issue with SLW's since they are channeled (or any other channeled wheel). Or at least I have not had issues with venting the foams and running SLW's. Air moves freely through the inner foam holes and through the wheel vents, since the wheel channel creates a "tunnel".

I don't vent the tires for anything!

Just my 0.02
This is why I avoid the forum more and more. Just because I own the company doesn't mean I know anything . It seems like the older I get, the less I actually know. I do know that quality drivers help lighten the work load and I appreciate you answering honestly and respectfully with your experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
this is exactly what i was afraid of. i was thinking how the heck was i going to vent the foams properly running my dhII and dhs. now im debating cause i hat venting the tire. it makes me nervous about ripping it
I have never ripped a tire at a vent hole. I have ripped a tire sidewall, but never the tread area. I'm honestly not a fan of venting the tire, but it's the easiest and fastest way for the average person to allow for air movement. Not everyone has tools for drilling foams or bead locks. So the simplest solution if to vent the tires.

I'm certain with all your experience though Kratos, you can make just about anything possible.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #446
RCC Addict

Quote:
That set of tires was made as more of an ironic joke. It seemed tasteless to take pictures and really make mention of them so I never did. Although I was really pleased that those tires went to another vendor .

Thank you for your order. It is waiting for more CC BEC's to arrive which will be here tomorrow.

This is why I avoid the forum more and more. Just because I own the company doesn't mean I know anything . It seems like the older I get, the less I actually know. I do know that quality drivers help lighten the work load and I appreciate you answering honestly and respectfully with your experiences

I have never ripped a tire at a vent hole. I have ripped a tire sidewall, but never the tread area. I'm honestly not a fan of venting the tire, but it's the easiest and fastest way for the average person to allow for air movement. Not everyone has tools for drilling foams or bead locks. So the simplest solution if to vent the tires.

I'm certain with all your experience though Kratos, you can make just about anything possible.
lol thanks a bunch Eddie. im glad someone is confident in my ability. aww man... now im gonna have to see if i can do it. off to place an order. oh and ill be ordering some more too when the new super foams come out. thanks for the awesome product. im gonna start tinking with my current foams to see if any of my ideas can actually hold true

**EDIT** Hey Eddie, are the widener rings for the DHIIs on the site? i cant find em anywhere thanks

Last edited by Kratos; 02-15-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #447
WAM
Rock Crawler

I used to punch holes in various plastics (drilling would crack them) by putting a big nail in a vice grip and pre-heating it with a propane torch. Then just push it through. I wonder if that would work on these foams?

Not a problem for me...I'm a tire-venter. Water is for scalers.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #448
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
**EDIT** Hey Eddie, are the widener rings for the DHIIs on the site? i cant find em anywhere thanks
They are sold out. I have no plans to make anymore at this time. If I do get around to making more, it will be summer time.

Crawler Innovations Bead Lock wideners for VP wheels
Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #449
I wanna be Dave

I'll pick up some new foams from ya at ECC!
chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #450
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicklet View Post
I'll pick up some new foams from ya at ECC!

You realize that's two months away, right? You should take Clay up on his offer to combine shipping of his parts and mine.

Also, do you need the correct file for my company logo? The flyer you made for ECC doesn't look like you have the correct file. LMK and thanks.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #451
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You realize that's two months away, right? You should take Clay up on his offer to combine shipping of his parts and mine.

Also, do you need the correct file for my company logo? The flyer you made for ECC doesn't look like you have the correct file. LMK and thanks.
I think he already shipped all my stuff so no worries there. I totally forgot about that too.

I got a better one from KK...look at the flyers again and let me know what you think. The first one was really dark.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #452
RCC Addict

Quote:
They are sold out. I have no plans to make anymore at this time. If I do get around to making more, it will be summer time.

Crawler Innovations Bead Lock wideners for VP wheels
10-4 Eddie. thanks. ill just order some narrow ones and keep my sedonas on DHII and keep the Khaos on DH. just made the order and hopefully ill have them installed and figured out before next weekends comp. will try and see if i can figure a good/simple way to use my current wheel vents with the new foam. if all else fails ill just buy a leather punch and make some holes in the upper sidewall

Last edited by Kratos; 02-15-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #453
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Just use a sharp bit with high speed (you said that). I had no issues on any of the prototypes or production inners.
It can grab a little if you use slow drill speed or get the bit at an angle.
19 hours in the deep freeze did nada to the foams. They didn't even feel cold when I brought them out.
I sharpened a bit and went to it. It was still a little grabby. I think I'll use the drill press next time, crank the rpms up.
BTW- your vent holes look pretty nice now.
shelljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #454
Moderator Rule Breaker

Can't wait for lil nova foams!
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #455
I wanna be Dave

Can't wait for the new lil novas too!

Ordered me a set of the new inners!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #456

have you tried just the inter foam to alow the tire to form around rocks better, but not calaps more than the foam will let it? it is something I was thinking of trying after I saw the star cut foam desing.
yendor302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #457
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by yendor302 View Post
have you tried just the inter foam to alow the tire to form around rocks better, but not calaps more than the foam will let it? it is something I was thinking of trying after I saw the star cut foam desing.
This is why he offers the closed cell inner foams and different densities for the outer foams. The outers will allow the tire to conform to the terrain while the inner foam will provide all of the sidewall support you could ever want as well as supporting the outer foam so that the tire doesn't wad up too much.

If you've never tried the DD style foams YOU NEED TO!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #458
RCC Addict

When are the 5.25 gonna become available?
meffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #459
Pebble Pounder

PM Sent
snobrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #460
I wanna be Dave

Hey Eddie,

I'm in need of some foams for my 1.9 Pit Bulls. I'm hoping for a taller foam to increase the tire's diameter. The rig is a scaler that weighs in approximately 8-9 lbs. What foam setup would you recommend? FYI, the tires are ~4.5" tall.

Thanks!
Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote