Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Crawler Innovations

Notices

Thread: Original Design (2009) - 2.2 and 1.9 dual stage foams

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Original Design (2009) - 2.2 and 1.9 dual stage foams

This design is not currently in production. It has been replaced by the new closed cell design.

Updated 2/17/10;

My web site is up and running and it is the best place to order:

Crawler Tires, Crawler Foams, Parts and Accessories by Crawler Innovations

These are CNC cut, 2.2 and 1.9, dual stage foams for rc rock crawlers. The inner foam is a very stiff foam while the outer foam is very soft. These are cut from conventional or open cell foam. They are not memory foam and are not temperature sensitive.

A single 2.2 foam weighs 0.8 ounces complete (less than 1 ounce).
The 2.2 foams measure 5.5 inches tall and 2.25 wide.

A single 1.9 foam won't even register on my scale they are so lite.
The 1.9 foams measure 4.25 tall and 1.50 wide.

Here is a size comparison photo between the two foams.

One set of four 2.2 dual stage foams is $30.10 shipped Priority Mail to the United States and your second set ships free with your order.

One set of four 1.9 dual stage foams is $22.05 shipped Priority Mail to the United States and your second set ships free with your order.

I do ship internationally at buyers expense. Please PM for details.

Multiple items will be combined for a shipping discount as well. Please contact me for multiple orders

I can send you a paypal invoice if you need to pay by credit card and I will accept U.S. Postal Service money orders only.

My paypal address is:

novasark@sbcglobal.net

That is also my personal email if you want to contact me directly.

I have the 2.2 foams installed on my berg with Hot Bodies Rover tires. This is the best foam combo I have ever tried with Rover tires. They hold a side hill fantastic and I was able to complete lines not previously done cleanly before. I also have the 2.2 dual stage foams installed in my son's berg with Pro-Line Chisel tires and they work much better than the previous foam set up. Both bergs are using Mayhem 7 wheels. As stated, these foams are very lite weight which will help for those looking to go liter on there comp crawlers.

I am using the 1.9 foams in my Hilux Bruiser hybrid scale crawler in Pro-Line 1.9 Flat Irons with Create A Crawler bead locks and they perform wonderful. I am also using them on a 1.9 Losi MRC with VP bead locks and my custom 1.9 cut n shut Panther Cougars. The 1.9 foams made a night and day improvement for both sets of tires on both trucks. The scaler needed sidewall support because of the heavy weight of the crawler and the Losi MRC needed side wall support because the Cougars are so soft.

As you can see from the picture, the foams all have a seem on them. The reason is because they are CNC cut and the blade needs a way in and out. The foams are shipped out pre-glued using a foam specific adhesive supplied to me by the manufacturer.

Last edited by Nova's Ark; 02-27-2012 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added information
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

IŽd be interrested. Price? Shipping to germany possible?
annedecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice work! I'm gonna have to order up a few sets....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Nice Eddie! What kind of foam would you compare the density of your dual stage foams to?
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
RCC Addict

PM sent. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
Andy
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by annedecke View Post
IŽd be interrested. Price? Shipping to germany possible?
PM sent, thank you for your interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Nice work! I'm gonna have to order up a few sets....
Sweet! Let me know when you are ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Nice Eddie! What kind of foam would you compare the density of your dual stage foams to?
The center foam is like nothing I have seen in a previous foam. It is very firm and designed to give the tire stability. The outer foam is very soft and comparable to an ACE doughnut memory foam except these are not memory foam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSMacgyver View Post
PM sent. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
Andy
PM sent Andy. Thank you for your purchase
Old 09-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

looks interesting, light weight too.
krawlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

OK, well the proto types have all been sold today and shipped out.

Version 2 is being cut and I should have them tonight. These foams have small dimensional changes in order to make them easier to mount. The 2.2 proto type inner foam had a smaller inner hole to wrap tightly around the bead lock which proved to be rather difficult to mount. That has been corrected in the second version.

On the 1.9 foams, the outer foam needed to have a tighter fit to the inner foam. I also made both 1.9 foams 1/16th wider.

If you have any questions, please ask and thank you for your interest.

- Eddie
Old 09-18-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ever thought of chamfering the bead side on the outer to help with beadlocking? I do this to all my foams. Always the foam to be wider without making mounting so tough.

Either way great work, I'll be buying a set soon.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Ever thought of chamfering the bead side on the outer to help with beadlocking? I do this to all my foams. Always the foam to be wider without making mounting so tough.

Either way great work, I'll be buying a set soon.

I am open to any suggestions and ideas. I did not want these beveled at the bead because I wanted the foam compressed for maximum side wall support. I am going to wait to hear back from the testers that are being sent the V2 foams. There orders are going out today and I hope to have more feedback from respected and experienced testers.

On a side note;
I will be the first to admit that the biggest comp I have competed in was the Texas State final this year. I have not competed on a national level and I am not a rock crawling guru . I created these foams because I was sick of foams folding over at the bead on a side hill. I was running two foams in the front of each tire in my berg and I was growing tired of making custom foams. I would be cutting up sometimes four different foams from four different companies to try and tune them.

I was gluing the foams together so they would stay together in the tire and if the combo was wrong, the foam had to be thrown away. The local in guys in my club can tell that I have 3 large plastic totes full of foams because I was experimenting so much. I would always sell my custom or used tires without foams because I was using everything I could to experiment with.

This is part of the reason why I sell all my Panther tires without foams. Why charge the customer extra for a foam that does not work properly? I would rather create a better foam and offer the customer the option to choose between my foam or another manufacturer. Forcing people to pay extra for a foam in the tire that does not work for the specific application is wrong in my opinion.

I also think that there has to be a way to make a drop in and go foam. I was tired of having custom foams that were different for each tire brand and beadlock. I was forced to have multiple bead locks, each with different tires, each with different custom foams, each weighing something different. For the first time, I am now running the exact same foam front and rear in a 2.2 crawler. I am also running the same foam in two different tire brands and they perform well. In doing this, I have taken the guess work out of the foam and can now focus on the difference in the tire tread design and tire compound. It should make tuning much easier.

At least I hope it does. Until these theories are proven by multiple drivers, in multiple regions, on multiple types of rock, they are just theories. I am very grateful to the people who have already bought these foams and the testers doing the work. I am eager to produce a quality product that will be able to benefit anyone in the rc rock crawling community. These are also 100% AMERICAN MADE!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
The local in guys in my club can tell that I have 3 large plastic totes full of foams because I was experimenting so much.
Haha...same here! With all of the RC stuff that I have, my wife complains most about the excessive amount of foams!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Haha...same here! With all of the RC stuff that I have, my wife complains most about the excessive amount of foams!
Yeah, they do take up the most amount of room
Old 09-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I just tell her that I'd gladly buy more foam storage devices (i.e. "tires")....
Old 09-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Good looking foams! I have a set of Rovers, Chisels, and Panther Leapords all itching for a set of these......once I get money!
Handicrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

can you make the foam single stage. i would like a tall foam that isnt a memory foam, and but soft at the same time. i have yet to find that. all others are some 2 foam combo. i have mayhem ucw wheels, so a harder center isnt desired. since you have to cut the outers from what i would assume is a solid piece of foam,since i cant see a joint line in the outers it souldnt be too hard. but i have no idea what you start, i'm only guessing.

Last edited by limpy88; 09-21-2009 at 03:48 AM.
limpy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #16
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
I just tell her that I'd gladly buy more foam storage devices (i.e. "tires")....
I shared your story with my wife and she was laughing. She completely relates. When I first started modifying foams it was in her sewing room trying to cut them with a foam cutting machine from Hobby Lobby . That machine sucked and was returned. Then it was me tagging along with her to go to fabric stores so I could get foam to test . I never thought of the more storage devices line , that's a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicrawler View Post
Good looking foams! I have a set of Rovers, Chisels, and Panther Leapords all itching for a set of these......once I get money!
Thank you. Anytime you are ready, let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy88 View Post
can you make the foam single stage. i would like a tall foam that isnt a memory foam, and but soft at the same time. i have yet to find that. all others are some 2 foam combo. i have mayhem ucw wheels, so a harder center isnt desired. since you have to cut the outers from what i would assume is a solid piece of foam,since i cant see a joint line in the outers it souldnt be too hard. but i have no idea what you start, i'm only guessing.
I can make custom foam orders. I need some exact sizing and solid idea about what foam density you need for your application. What type of crawler are you using? How much does it weigh? What brand and size tires are your using? All that information helps me to give you a better suggestion on what density foam to use and size.

At present, my outer two stage is very soft. Even with the Mayhem UCW (very nice wheel by the way;)), I think a complete foam in that density will be too soft. Joesbrusier and Just Zach are both testing these foams this week. Both are Team Panther Drivers and both own Mayhem UCW wheels. I will be talking to them more about what needs to be changed.

I am probably going to leave the memory foam altogether due to temperature sensitivity. I have been experimenting in my refirgerator and freezer and regardless of what pound memory foam I use, it's all effected by cold temperature. The conventional foam is the only foam that performs the same regardless of weather conditions. I also have plans for a smaller 2.2 and 1.9 dual stage for shorter tires.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

i have an axial, and white rovers. everyone else i've seen who have the Mayhem UCW has moa's. and also seem to like the stiffer foam. panther f400 were to stiff. proline memory doesnt comeback quick enough for me. but the softness wasnt bad. i have the stock rovers foams in right now and i like them, but they arent all tall as i would like. would the price of the foams be close to your dual stage 2.2 or would they be considerably higher.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy88 View Post
i have an axial, and white rovers. everyone else i've seen who have the Mayhem UCW has moa's. and also seem to like the stiffer foam. panther f400 were to stiff. proline memory doesnt comeback quick enough for me. but the softness wasnt bad. i have the stock rovers foams in right now and i like them, but they arent all tall as i would like. would the price of the foams be close to your dual stage 2.2 or would they be considerably higher.
A super soft foam is going to have difficulty making the tire taller. To have a super soft foam make the tire taller, you would have to stuff a lot of it in there. The more you stuff in there, the firmer it gets.

Before I switched to a berg, I ran rovers on my GC2 TLT. I wanted the tire taller, so I glued foam to the outside of the stock rover foam along the outside radius of the foam. It made the tire much taller, but it also made the tire more rounded on top which proved to be difficult to side hill with. (I have found that a flat tire patch works much better for side hilling and almost everything in general.) So then I star cut the foam that I had glued onto the rover foam. The star cut soften it up and it was OK. I actually ran that same foam in the rear of my berg up until I created these dual stage foams.

I don't have any UCW wheels so I can't experiment with them. I also don't know what to suggest either. I can make you a soft foam in the size you want and it shouldn't be any more than a standard 2.2 set. My concern is that you won't like it.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

i dont want to make the tire taller, i just want to fill in the gap between the tire and the foam. there is a gap almost a 1/4inch big between the top of the tire and the foam.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I received my foams today, they feel great.

I hope to get them mount and tested tomorrow.

Thanks for the fast shipping !
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote