Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Crawler Innovations

Notices

Thread: The Crawler Innovations Rock Piles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default The Crawler Innovations Rock Piles

In December of 2010 the ETXRCC club had scheduled a competition at a local crawl spot we had used for the previous fours years. The competition was scheduled for Saturday morning so Friday afternoon a small group of guys went to the comp location for test and tune. When we arrived nearly all the rock was gone and we were informed the lot had been sold for development. They had a large front end loader and a dump truck with trailer they were loading the remaining rock on to. We knew it was inevitable since this location was in a commercial warehouse area. We had been hoping the lot would never get developed since it had been in the same condition for years.

So needless to say, we moved the comp to a local park for Saturday morning and since it was still Friday late afternoon we headed there to practice. We get to the park, only to find people setting up for a "Christmas in the Park" event. A woman was setting up a booth near where I was crawling. She made a comment about the trucks and a conversation got started. I told her about our local club and about the competition situation that had happened earlier. She then tells me she is the wife of the land owner and was extremely sorry about the rock being moved. As we talked some more, I offered to buy the rock from them. She tells me she will talk to her husband and get back to me and we exchange phone numbers.

The next day I get a call from her. Her and her husband have decided they will give me the rock, but I will have to pay the contractor for delivery of the rock. I agree and the contractor calls me on Monday. He tells me the cost, I agree, and then I spend the next three months waiting for an opening in there schedule. Finally, the opening came last week and I now have six dump truck loads of huge rock in my back yard.

My son and I, along with two local club members (David H and Andy) have been over helping to reposition rock and clean the area. The rock was delivered last Thursday on 3-17-2011. Here is where is sits so far:

This is the view from the back of my shop. You can see my son driving on the pile, our crawler carrier (wheel barrow LOL), and small burn pile going behind the tree:

The T1E moon buggy shafty on the new pile:

You can still see the T1E Shafty on the rock in back ground just to give you an idea of how big this rock area really is:

This is a huge development for our local club. We have been lacking good comp locations for years now. A lot of our normal competition locations have become very boring to many of the members who have been doing this for a few years now. With this pile at my home, we can have comps, get togethers, cook outs, and move the rock around when we become bored or unchallenged by the current lines. That is something we have never been able to do in the past. It's a work in progress, but I had to share this with the crawling community.

Last edited by Nova's Ark; 03-22-2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Spell Check
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I also have a second rock garden on my property. I built this rock garden in the back yard just behind our house. It has been added to considerably since these pictures were taken. I only own one of the five trucks taken in these pictures because the other 4 were sold off. These pictures were from Summer of 2008.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Some more old pictures from 2008:

My GC2 TLT and my son's GC1 TLT:

My GC2, my son's GC1 and my Super:

Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

We're taking it back to the old school;

My GC2 TLT:

Old 03-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Yashua

MAN MY CRAWLER FRIEND, YOU SIR HAVE WHAT WE ALL KNOW WE CAN NEVER AFFORD TO HAVE . CONGRATS ON THE SCORE!, IT MAKES THE 4 TON OF ROCK I'VE GATHERED IN MY BACKYARD LOOK LIKE A WHEEL BARROW LOAD.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
RCC Addict

WHAT!!! As if you didnt already have some of the coolest stuff now you have a full COMP SPOT in your own backyard!!! Lol. Some guys have all the luck.

Im just teasin you Eddie. That was such an awesome thing for you to do by buying the rock and setting up at your place. I think it must have been fate running into the owners and striking up the deal to get the rock. Looks awesome so far and I (plus about a 1000 other guys) am definitely jealous of your spot but at the same time very happy for you and your club. Thanks for all you do for the sport!
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
MAN MY CRAWLER FRIEND, YOU SIR HAVE WHAT WE ALL KNOW WE CAN NEVER AFFORD TO HAVE . CONGRATS ON THE SCORE!, IT MAKES THE 4 TON OF ROCK I'VE GATHERED IN MY BACKYARD LOOK LIKE A WHEEL BARROW LOAD.
Thank you. But without the hand of fate or the blessing of God (however or whatever you personally believe in), this would never be possible. I mean what are the chances of a random encounter of the land owners wife on the same day we learn the rock had been moved??? I feel so fortunate for how it all worked out and I am extremely grateful. This is going to help out immensely in the development of new products, help our local club get back on track as we plan for next season, and the time I have spent with my son one on one both working and driving on the new rock pile is priceless. I just had to share this news with the Crawler Innovations customers. Without the support of fellow crawlers, none of this would be possible. I just can't say thank you enough to all the people who have supported Crawler Innovations and myself. Thank you, thank you, thank you, I am truly grateful.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
WHAT!!! As if you didnt already have some of the coolest stuff now you have a full COMP SPOT in your own backyard!!! Lol. Some guys have all the luck.

Im just teasin you Eddie. That was such an awesome thing for you to do by buying the rock and setting up at your place. I think it must have been fate running into the owners and striking up the deal to get the rock. Looks awesome so far and I (plus about a 1000 other guys) am definitely jealous of your spot but at the same time very happy for you and your club. Thanks for all you do for the sport!
LOL Thank you! I own 3.5 acres and it has a small pond in the back of the property and very small creek that feeds it. The plan right now is to comp out the new rock pile and turn the old rock pile up by the house into a scaler pile. Add some vegetation, a bridge or two, and cement some trails in for permanent fun. If all goes well, maybe in a year we could open this up to a large get together or comp. Time will tell and we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Looks like the CrawlerInnovations Compound is expanding! Nice score on the red rocks!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Here is my son driving the T1E Axial Shafty up a really cool climb:

Old 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

They didn't have any LARGE rocks for you, Eddie?? Seriously, that's a great score and I'm sure all the club members will appreciate your efforts!

By the way, wanna sell that car hauler?
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
They didn't have any LARGE rocks for you, Eddie?? Seriously, that's a great score and I'm sure all the club members will appreciate your efforts!

By the way, wanna sell that car hauler?
LOL, There are a couple rocks in the main pile that will not be moved without a commercial size front end loader. They are huge.

As for the car hauler, it's an 18 foot, diamond plate steel, tandem axle car hauler with electric brakes. You are welcome to use it, but it's not for sale. It get's used quite a bit actually. I use to own a 20 foot enclosed car hauler trailer but it was sold almost two years ago just after my orange 1964 Nova was sold.

We definitely need to work on something in the future and try and get all the Texas clubs to come together for a more laid back get together and play toy trucks.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I hear ya. We definitely need to get some of the Texas clubs together for some fun!

Your trailer is exactly what I'm looking for. I sold mine short-sightedly almost 2 years ago. You don't have the Nova anymore? I didn't realize that!
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I hear ya. We definitely need to get some of the Texas clubs together for some fun!

Your trailer is exactly what I'm looking for. I sold mine short-sightedly almost 2 years ago. You don't have the Nova anymore? I didn't realize that!
I sold the orange nova to pay down the loan on my house and to start Crawler Innovations with. It went to a great home and I got a fair price for it. A flat bed trailer is a valuable tool in not only the automotive industry but also for helping people move stuff and vehicles. With 3.5 acres, it sees use around the property as well. Keep an eye on craigslist and any local drag racing forums. I bought this trailer through a local drag racing forum when I first moved to Texas.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice work Eddie! Man, those red rocks sure makes me miss living in East Texas...

And, that's sad to hear about the Nova...but it turned out for the best.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Nice score on the rocks Eddie! I'll trade you some red mud and pine trees for some. South Al sucks on comp locations(north part of the state is a little different though). 2008, old school, funny, things have jumped in the last few years thanks to you cool Vendors bringing the goods
TEDROCKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

That day was not a coincidence, glad to see it finally came to fruition.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Hi Eddie, it brings joy and inspiration to see people with a very kind heart, Greatly Rewarded. CHEERS!
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

nice eddie wish i had a spot like that so close for testing
Rock Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
"HOLLYWOOD"

DAM!!!!!!!! Eddie your new rock pile is insane brother!!!!
Wish I had a yard that big too toss back there those rocks are insane.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote