Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Crawler Innovations

Notices

Thread: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #201
Rock Crawler

Default Re: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
As for your application, the 5.5 might be better. The Crawl Space in Colorado sells mostly 5.5's because of the rock in their area.
Okay, 5.5's then. There won't be much space for the outer foams, so should I use softs ft & rear?

I had been thinking 5.25's with med/med or even med/firm to stand the pins up, but I'll stay with your suggestions.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #202
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Okay, 5.5's then. There won't be much space for the outer foams, so should I use softs ft & rear?

I had been thinking 5.25's with med/med or even med/firm to stand the pins up, but I'll stay with your suggestions.
I wouldn't use softs front and rear myself, but people still do. Every crawler, terrain & driving style is different. You'll just have to find what works best for you.

I think this would be a good option also:
5.25's with med/med
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #203
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
No problem Eddie, it's an old racer trick when we had to save foams.

Pre-heat over to 300-350, once its warm turn it off and stick the foams in and let the oven cool down with the door closed.

Takes a foam from looking like its been rounded being stuck in the tire back to the nice square cut edges it originally had. Also gets any old moisture or simple green that might have soaked in out safely.

I noticed this helps them go back to the original shape and seems like it makes them feel like new or close to new even if they've been stuck inside tires/wheels for months. Helps me tune better since I know I can get the foams back to original shape and firmness.

I'll definitely get pictures next time I cook up the foams to show a side by side of the change caused.
Was this done with the closed cell foams Because I have A pair that were in some VP .7 rims and they do'nt whant to go back to their original shape.Their staying about half their original size.
ratterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #204
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratterd View Post
Was this done with the closed cell foams Because I have A pair that were in some VP .7 rims and they do'nt whant to go back to their original shape.Their staying about half their original size.
I don't think the oven-drying method will work on closed cell foams due to their construction in general. The foam is "closed cell" (think of tiny balloons glued together) as opposed to 99.9% other crawler foams that are "open cell".

Mainly the oven drying is to get all the water/moisture/build up out of the open cells in the foam. But I have dried several sets of water logged open celled foams with good results.

Eddie or someone, correct me if I am wrong.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #205
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
How old are your foams?
What size are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I don't think the oven-drying method will work on closed cell foams due to their construction in general. The foam is "closed cell" (think of tiny balloons glued together) as opposed to 99.9% other crawler foams that are "open cell".

Mainly the oven drying is to get all the water/moisture/build up out of the open cells in the foam. But I have dried several sets of water logged open celled foams with good results.

Eddie or someone, correct me if I am wrong.
You are correct
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #206
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=Nova's Ark;4034579]How old are your foams?
What size are they?

Thay are about 4 months old,Thay have three comps on them and two practice sessions.Thay are 5.5 nerrows
ratterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #207
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thay are about 4 months old,Thay have three comps on them and two practice sessions.Thay are 5.5 nerrows
The .7 wheel is pretty narrow (although it's a popular size) and it keeps a constant pressure on the closed cell more than a 1" wide wheel would (I like to recommend a 1" or wider bead lock). As the closed cell breaks down, it does not regain it's original shape. It condenses to a certain point and pretty much maintains that size for a while. When the closed cell is bad or broken completely, it becomes soft and pliable. This is usually after several months of constant use & abuse.

The 5.5 narrow foam is 1.50" wide. The .7 wheel is half the width so it's applying a steady pressure on the closed cell inner. Keep in mind that most 2.2 tires average about 2" wide at the tread. They become skinnier when the side walls are shaved.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #208
Rock Crawler

So I quickly scanned some pages and did not see any one that put up Suggestions for a 4lbs rig with .7 wheels and BOSS CLAW I do not use boss claws but I am sure no one runs Leopards and the boss claw is the closest in size.

So what would you run in a .7 wheel with boss claws and a 4lbs rig Here is the list of foams I just got from you in the mail today I hope the right starting point is in my list HAHA

5.0 soft
5.0 med
5.25 soft
5.25 med
outer tuning rings
soft
med
hard

I was thinking of starting with the 2.25 soft up front and the 2.25 med in the rear.

But I would love to hear your input.

Thanks for the great service and fast shipping
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #209
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobflyin View Post
So I quickly scanned some pages and did not see any one that put up Suggestions for a 4lbs rig with .7 wheels and BOSS CLAW I do not use boss claws but I am sure no one runs Leopards and the boss claw is the closest in size.

So what would you run in a .7 wheel with boss claws and a 4lbs rig Here is the list of foams I just got from you in the mail today I hope the right starting point is in my list HAHA

5.0 soft
5.0 med
5.25 soft
5.25 med
outer tuning rings
soft
med
hard

I was thinking of starting with the 2.25 soft up front and the 2.25 med in the rear.

But I would love to hear your input.

Thanks for the great service and fast shipping
My Secret Agent XR-10 is 4 pounds 10 ounces with shaved and grooved rovers.
I'm using:
5.25 Double Deuce
Narrow / Soft - Front + 5.0" Tuning Discs on both sides

5.0 Double Deuce
Narrow / Medium - Rear

Thank you for your business.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:48 PM   #210
Rock Crawler

Ok so maybe I need to run the 5.0 all the way around when I said 4lbs I should have clarified I am 4 lbs 1.2 oz.

But you kind of have me a good starting point based on weight of the truck.

Thank you.
jacobflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #211
Rock Crawler

When I shaved my rovers, the tires softened up a great deal and got pretty wimpy with 5.5 CC/soft. So I tried to fit a medium tuning ring over the outer and had no success at all in getting it installed. No matter which order I installed things in, I always wound up with folds in the ring and sometimes folds in the outer. What's the trick? I finally gave up and went to 525/mediums to avoid needing rings.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #212
Rock Crawler

My order is in! I am anxiously awaiting my set of closed cells.
isyeskeert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #213
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
When I shaved my rovers, the tires softened up a great deal and got pretty wimpy with 5.5 CC/soft. So I tried to fit a medium tuning ring over the outer and had no success at all in getting it installed. No matter which order I installed things in, I always wound up with folds in the ring and sometimes folds in the outer. What's the trick? I finally gave up and went to 525/mediums to avoid needing rings.
How wide are the inners in your 5.5 combo and what size wheels are you using them with? The width of the inner has a lot to do with the overall feel of the tire.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #214
Rock Crawler

I think my wheels are a hair over 1" which was borderline between the two foams and I went with wide. I tried to preinstall the tuning ring over the outer, but when I folded them to get them into the tire it wouldn't unfold properly. Almost like the tuning ring is too long and has no place for the excess to go. I wish Eddie made oversize outers available when more stuffing is needed. My rovers were wadding up very badly on 5.5 soft, but seem happier with 5.25/medium. But I've never run a medium in a front before as I generally like soft tires.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #215
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think my wheels are a hair over 1" which was borderline between the two foams and I went with wide. I tried to preinstall the tuning ring over the outer, but when I folded them to get them into the tire it wouldn't unfold properly. Almost like the tuning ring is too long and has no place for the excess to go. I wish Eddie made oversize outers available when more stuffing is needed. My rovers were wadding up very badly on 5.5 soft, but seem happier with 5.25/medium. But I've never run a medium in a front before as I generally like soft tires.
Tuning rings can be tough to get mounted correctly but it is possible. I usually bunch the foam up outside of the tire before installation, then I stuff it into the tire, next I use my fingers to push around the foam out and to make sure that it fills the tire evenly.

Keep in mind that you softened up the Rover considerably by shaving it so it will need a stiffer foam to make up for the difference.

I run shaved Rovers on my Shafty. With .75" wheels I use a 5.5 Soft combo up front BUT the rig weighs in at 4.5lbs. Any heavier and I'd be looking into more foam support.

Last edited by helhedded; 01-16-2013 at 09:36 AM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #216
Rock Crawler

Trying to figure out which foams to buy. I have a heavy solid rod tuber with 2.2 proline super swampers on Mayhem 1" wide wheels. I will be using it for a mix of rock crawling and southern buggy style hill shooting. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 02-07-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #217
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn'Nburn View Post
Trying to figure out which foams to buy. I have a heavy solid rod tuber with 2.2 proline super swampers on Mayhem 1" wide wheels. I will be using it for a mix of rock crawling and southern buggy style hill shooting. Thanks for the help!
What does "a heavy solid rod tuber" weigh RTR?

I don't know what it weighs but the bead on the Pro-Line SX Swamper sucks. If it is heavy (whatever that means), putting a foam big enough to hold the weight won't matter cause the bead won't hold (such as a 6.0" inner for example).

So my suggestion is:

5.5 Double Deuce
Narrow / Medium
Narrow / Firm
Old 02-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #218
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
What does "a heavy solid rod tuber" weigh RTR?

I don't know what it weighs but the bead on the Pro-Line SX Swamper sucks. If it is heavy (whatever that means), putting a foam big enough to hold the weight won't matter cause the bead won't hold (such as a 6.0" inner for example).

So my suggestion is:

5.5 Double Deuce
Narrow / Medium
Narrow / Firm
I don't know what it weighs, I don't have a scale. I say heavy because it's heavy, lol. Heavier than a Wraith. I have had no problems holding a bead with my super swampers, the Mayhems are pretty awesome in that department.

I will go with what you recommended, it has to be a lot better than the stock memory foams in it now.

Last edited by Turn'Nburn; 02-07-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Turn'Nburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #219

I have a wraith that weighs 8lbs to be used for mainly crawling. I have PB2's but need foams oh yeah vanquish omf wheels.
saqsquatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #220
I wanna be Dave

Hey guy's, I need your wisdom. I just got my Voodoo's in, silver and blue compounds. I already have a set of 4 DD close cell in 5.25". I think soft and med. My rig is around 4.5 lbs with 1" VP v5 repun slw's and I would like to know what do you recommend to fill the tire.

Thanks for your help.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote

*_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_* - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Deuce foams for HB Rovers on XR10? Rock Spider Axial XR10 6 06-01-2011 04:49 PM
Deuce Nova's and Lil Nova's Dual stage foams! bigflex Tires and Wheels 6 10-06-2009 10:50 PM