Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Crawler Innovations

Notices

Thread: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
I've been using this method and it works great for tough beads and tough foam setups.

-Install the ring and screws to the wheel with tire and foam but only tighten them enough to where the ring and screws don't fall out

*try a little dab of shock oil on your finger and rub it around the tire bead OR bead lock channel

-Set the wheel and tire on a small jar, such as a artichoke heart jar. Whatever you pick out needs to be about the same diameter or smaller of your 2.2 wheel.

-Push down on the tire evenly as it sits on the jar (the jar keeps the wheel in place but the small diameter allows for the tire to stretch down)

This will stretch out your tire but in a downward motion making it easier to seat that bead. It works like a charm with my closed cell inners and my Mayhem Evo beadlocks
That makes sense.... I've used been using an old wheel, and can get one side mounted fine, but the 2nd one is a pain...
mudn_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #42
RCC Addict

I'd like a set for some stock pl tsl's should I get the narrow or wide in the 5.5's
Also do you have any ideas when there will be some for the 1.9 pitbulls thanks

J-bird
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

Ordered some of the new foams recently and when I went to install on .960 DH II wheels, it seemed like the inners weren't letting air out of the breather holes. I was like a giant balloon.

Curious if I have to shave the ID to allow the air to escape?

Like I said, just got these and would really like to give these a go!
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoJa View Post
Ordered some of the new foams recently and when I went to install on .960 DH II wheels, it seemed like the inners weren't letting air out of the breather holes. I was like a giant balloon.

I think most are drilling holes in the inner, or venting the tires.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 AM   #45
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
what is the actuall width measurement of the narrow and wide inner foams?
and would you recomend the 5.5 or 6.0 for the new 5.75" Iroks?
Narrow is 1.50" wide
Wide is 1.75" wide

If you buy a wide foam and have a narrow wheel, the closed cell foams will not mount without modifying the foam yourself.

As for your tire question...

How wide is the wheel the tire is being mounted on?
How much does the truck weigh RTR?
Are the tires stock or modified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudn_1 View Post
I recieved my set of 5.5s last week as well....mounted them in ripsaws on a set of mayhem wheels, cant get them to stay seated in the bead, but i will say for an all around speed, crawl, bash rig they did great and dont fold under speed! I cant wait for the 1.9s to come out...and an tips on successfully mounting these would be great!

sent from my damn phone
I got your email and I apologize that I did not respond to you directly earlier. We have been very busy. It looks like Ashton got you taken care of already.

The 1.9's inner and outers have arrived. One of the sizes was cut wrong and the outer tuning rings don't look like they will work either. So I have some issues to iron out before I add them to the web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
I'd like a set for some stock pl tsl's should I get the narrow or wide in the 5.5's
Also do you have any ideas when there will be some for the 1.9 pitbulls thanks

J-bird
In regards to your TSL's:

In regards to the 1.9's;
The 1.9's inner and outers have arrived. One of the sizes was cut wrong and the outer tuning rings don't look like they will work either. So I have some issues to iron out before I add them to the web site.

Quote:

The closed cell foams are air tight. I recommend venting the tire. It's easier and guaranteed to allow for proper air movement. You can buy a fabric or leather hole punch for under $10 at Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart for a tiny 1/16th air hole. I have been using three holes on the 1.9's & 2.2's. I use four holes on the Supers.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
The closed cell foams are air tight. I recommend venting the tire. It's easier and guaranteed to allow for proper air movement. You can buy a fabric or leather hole punch for under $10 at Hobby Lobby or Wal Mart for a tiny 1/16th air hole. I have been using three holes on the 1.9's & 2.2's. I use four holes on the Supers.
Yeah, I'd rather not put holes in my tires. I live in the Northwest and chances are that I we will have to run in the rain and don't want to tear the wheels down to dry them out. I guess I will drill the inners and maybe cut a channel for the wheels to do there job.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, I'd rather not put holes in my tires. I live in the Northwest and chances are that I we will have to run in the rain and don't want to tear the wheels down to dry them out. I guess I will drill the inners and maybe cut a channel for the wheels to do there job.

Try drilling 1/4" holes in the foam for venting if you haven't already. I have four 1/8" vents per wheel, and about six to eight 1/4" holes per foam. Works well

Last edited by helhedded; 03-01-2012 at 07:50 AM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #48
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
I understand.
However, the closed cell is water proof. So the inner foam will not be damaged by water.

The outers tend to stretch when they get wet. If you leave them in the tire, it's a non issue and they eventually dry out. That is what I do with my scalers and wraiths (I leave them in the tire wet). I have done that for several months now with no issues to report.

Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong way. See my signature . That said, early on I drilled the closed cell inner foams and aligned them with the vent holes in my bead locks. I use 4S lipos on most of my crawlers and the foams were shifting inside the tire and closing off the breather holes. So I started venting the tire. In the past, I always suggested drilling the bead lock for breather holes to keep water out of the foams. But with this new design, it's much simpler and faster to vent the tire. It's also easier for the average person who may not have the proper tools or shop to modify the closed cell foams or bead locks.

In regards to your DH2's, you could put a small 1/8" deep channel into the inner foam where it lines up with the DH2's vent channel. Anther idea is to slot the inner foam from left to right across the area where the foam meets with the bead lock wheel. They do this in 1/8 racing closed cells. You could also just drill the foams straight through. I heated up the end of a sharp scribe and pushed it through the closed cell foam early on. It created a clean hole that allowed air to move easily. Please post up what works for you
Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Just ordered a set for my new xr10.

Have a set of the orginals in my ax10 rig. Can't wait to get them!

Thanks for offering a great product!
trailduster79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Well during my lunch hour i went home and did some work.

Drilled 8 1/4" holes evenly spaced and then cut a small channel on the inside that is 1/4 wide. Made the channel like a V.

It is letting air out!! I no longer have giant balloons!

Although, the recovery of the tire is a little slow. I might make the channel a little bit wider.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
My video above shows the soft/med on 1 inch wheels on a 5lbs 4oz truck with Khaos. With no outer tuning rings.

When I ran sedonas, I ran soft up front with a med outer and firm outer tuning ring.

Here is soft front / med with medium outer tuning rings in rear on a 5lbs 2oz clapped rover sportsman. Closed cell inners, of course.
ARCC SZCZERBA SPORTSMAN COURSE 1 - YouTube

I would say start with the soft front and med rear and get a few pairs of medium and firm outer tuning rings to adjust to your liking.
I like a soft front outer foam on all my rigs. and med-firm rear tire setup. That is just me.
The firm outer foams are pretty firm (not the tuning rings). But I do have some in my foam arsenal though.
Just before your reply I already ordered pairs of soft narrow and soft wide.
Then just after the reply a pair each medium narrow and wide.

Thanks for your help.
Crawling in South Africa is exploding at the moment.
One year ago, nothing but now already three day comps.
reden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

"Not water proof."

Does it mean the foam will soak up water or will they deteriorate when exposed to water?
reden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #53
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailduster79 View Post
Just ordered a set for my new xr10.

Have a set of the orginals in my ax10 rig. Can't wait to get them!

Thanks for offering a great product!
Your order has shipped. Thank you

Quote:
Well during my lunch hour i went home and did some work.

Drilled 8 1/4" holes evenly spaced and then cut a small channel on the inside that is 1/4 wide. Made the channel like a V.

It is letting air out!! I no longer have giant balloons!

Although, the recovery of the tire is a little slow. I might make the channel a little bit wider.
Very Cool! Please post up some pictures of how you modified the foams. I'm always interested in seeing what people come up with and what they need. I'm always looking for ways to improve the product design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
Just before your reply I already ordered pairs of soft narrow and soft wide.
Then just after the reply a pair each medium narrow and wide.

Thanks for your help.
Crawling in South Africa is exploding at the moment.
One year ago, nothing but now already three day comps.
That is awesome news! It's great to hear this side of the hobby growing in new places. Your order shipped today as well. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
"Not water proof."

Does it mean the foam will soak up water or will they deteriorate when exposed to water?
Both.

The conventional outer foams are like a foam sponge. I have not found a water proof material suitable for outers yet. However, the outer can become not very important in a scale-mud-water-bash situation.

I have been running my daughters jeep with no outers. Just a large closed cell inner. I had to shape the inner and create a relief area in it for forward bite. I'm running modified RC4WD IROKS. Here is a thread with info about the tires:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tires-wheels/327544-crawler-innovations-1-9-irok-scale-comp-tire-lil-nova-foams.html

So my daughter's Jeep and my 6x6 have no outers. The 6x6 has closed cell foams in it as well.

What I have said all along, the outers tend to stretch when they get wet. If you leave them in the tire though, it's a non issue and they eventually dry out. The tire also does not hold as much water, because the inner foam repels water (or does not allow water in because it is so dense). If you squeeze the water out of your outers by hand at the end of the day, 75% of any water still in the tire will be pushed out altogether.

That is exactly what I do with my scalers and wraiths (I leave them in the tire wet). I have done that for several months now with no issues to report.
The outer foams aren't pretty after a couple months, but they still hold up well. For scalers and trail rigs, I'm liking medium outers in the front and either firm or medium outers in the back. Those densities have held up better to consistent water abuse more than the soft in my experience.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #54
Wanna get? Gotta want.

After working with the closed cell I would agree that the way to do these foams for venting is through the tire only. I drilled 8 5/16 holes around the diameter thinking that would work. I put them on my .7 wheels and the foam compressed itself shut almost entirely. Its really easy to see with my wheels since I can see the foam after the tire is mounted.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Here is what I came up with:
1/4" holes

Made the channel a little wider

I will admit there is more give with it cut up, but they're still firmer than the last inners.

Sent from My Touch 2
Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

i got these foams, and really like them. i have medium outers. i can really tell it helps since it basically will only compress so much. great product, and great customer support. it also helps keep the tires taller and they seem predictable.

very happy customer right here.
pitcher2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #57
RCC Addict

In regards to your TSL's:

In regards to the 1.9's;

My wheels are 1" wide and the rig weighs about 8.5 to 10 lbs
Please let me know what I need thanks Eddie

J-bird
j-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:03 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

no news on the 5.25 foam ??

or any advice for using the 5.5 w/ shaved Losi BC on 0.7 wheels
my rig weight just a little under 5lbs

thanks
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #59
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude26 View Post
no news on the 5.25 foam ??

or any advice for using the 5.5 w/ shaved Losi BC on 0.7 wheels
my rig weight just a little under 5lbs

thanks

There is nothing good to report on the 5.25 inner foam front. Our first run of the 5.25" inner was machined incorrectly. The cause has been identified and repaired, but it's honestly going to be at least 2 weeks before I will have any in hand to sell.

In my opinion, I think the new 5.25 inner with the new die cut outer is the better foam option for the boss claw. Especially in light weight trucks. It allows for more tuning options. I will try and post a picture soon for comparison. Once you see the 5.25 next to a boss claw and the 5.5 next to the boss claw, you can really see the difference and it becomes obvious that the 5.25 is the better fit inside the boss claw.

I wish the change over to the new design wasn't taking so long, but it's just the way it is. Thank you for your patience.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #60
WAM
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I heated up the end of a sharp scribe and pushed it through the closed cell foam early on. It created a clean hole that allowed air to move easily.
I'm wondering what to do about wheel weights. I saw the big holes drilled into the foam to hold VP slugs. That's a possibility.

Unsure about the channel thing around the ID. If I glue a strip of lead tire weights around the rim, can I expand the new foam over the strips to get the channel aligned?

Lastly, I currently use round lead "rope", 3/16" dia. I wrap it around the wheel and secure it with tape. But your piercing technique above -- do you think it would work to make up a 3/16" pointy thing (a sharpened screwdriver for example) and make a series of parallel holes, each taking an inch of the lead rope? I'd need a very large number.

I wish I had a scrap to play with, so I'm not screwing up my new foams. But hearing from others, "been-thre-done-that", is almost as good.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote

*_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_* - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Deuce foams for HB Rovers on XR10? Rock Spider Axial XR10 6 06-01-2011 04:49 PM
Deuce Nova's and Lil Nova's Dual stage foams! bigflex Tires and Wheels 6 10-06-2009 10:50 PM