Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Crawler Innovations

Notices

Thread: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #61
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM View Post
I'm wondering what to do about wheel weights. I saw the big holes drilled into the foam to hold VP slugs. That's a possibility.

Unsure about the channel thing around the ID. If I glue a strip of lead tire weights around the rim, can I expand the new foam over the strips to get the channel aligned?

Lastly, I currently use round lead "rope", 3/16" dia. I wrap it around the wheel and secure it with tape. But your piercing technique above -- do you think it would work to make up a 3/16" pointy thing (a sharpened screwdriver for example) and make a series of parallel holes, each taking an inch of the lead rope? I'd need a very large number.

I wish I had a scrap to play with, so I'm not screwing up my new foams. But hearing from others, "been-thre-done-that", is almost as good.
I'm not certain that I completely grasp what it is you want to accomplish.

These foams can stretch, but not a lot. The foams are cut and designed around VP wheels for the most part. Mayhem wheels, Create A Crawler and stock Axial wheels have also been used by me for testing.

I cannot account for everything or everyone though. Read my signature.

At the end of the day, this side of the hobby is so custom, the best I can do is create the products, and watch what people turn them into from there.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #62
WAM
Rock Crawler

Default Re: *_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_*

Just spoke to Eddie to clarify my question and I'll summarize the discussion. I want to add lead between the foam and wheel and wasn't sure how the new foam would handle it. Eddie says he has already tried a layer of "thin" lead stick-on weights (1/8"), wrapped with vinyl tape and pulled an unmodified foam over it. The foam is pretty resistant to tearing. He'll post pic's later when he can get a breath.

He also thinks opening up the foam ID with a drum sander to make room for thicker lead weights would work.

I'm going to use a wrap of the 3/16 lead rope, but first flatten it in a vise to 1/8" or less. And secure it all with electrical tape.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

thanks

I'm gonna wait until the 5.25 is here
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Eddie, your foams are the $HIT! I'm running soft up front and medium in the rear. They really woke up my chisels. I love em so much I've ordered a second set to play with!

Thanks for the awsome service, and crazy fast shipping.
Rob450FE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #65
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude26 View Post
thanks

I'm gonna wait until the 5.25 is here
I am running the 5.5 inners on my BCs. I did a TON of testing with a lot of foams and these by far were the best. I am happy with them. I dont think you will be let down with the 5.5s. I wonder how much better the 5.25 would be though? Just going off feeling and the type of rock I was on, I dont think I want to go softer or to a smaller diameter. Of course, I will probably order 5.25s just to test.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

I tried the 5.5 w/ soft outter in front and medium in rear, but...really no grip

with the old style CI foam in 5.5, the Losi work better than my rover on the same rocks, but w/ the closed cell inner it doesn't work
maybe because I run 0.7 wheels with full width of the narrow inner

I gonna try to find my old set up, but it'll not be easy... I've a huge pile of foam inner outter, tunning disc tunning ring

thanks Erik
dude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #67
WAM
Rock Crawler

Eddie was kind enough to throw some defective/blem CC foams into my box on last order so I could experiment with modifying them for weighting. Thought I'd share what I find.

I put three one oz sticks of tire weights outside a DH1. When I tried to pull the foam over them, I didn't care for the result. A lot of effort is required, potentially damaging the foam. And when I got it in place, the foam failed to yield to the lead, so the result was a three-lobe effect instead of circular. The outside circumference over the weights was noticeably increased. I won't be using that technique.

I'm going to try to trim the ID for weight clearance. I'm currently thinking I'd glue the weight strips all the way to the outside edge rather than centerline. People seem to prefer the weight outboard anyway, and with this, the foam never has to be pulled past the strips.

I also want to try to fit VP slugs or Ti sinkers in drilled holes, and 3/16" lead rope in hot-pierced holes. Thanx Eddie.
WAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Had my Sporty and new XR on the club site at Taylors Falls Minnesota yesterday. The Sporty had the new CI closed cell foams installed the XR had the old CI inner foams both trucks weighed in at 5.2 #s and both were equipped with new Hater tires and identical outer foams..

The Sporty's tires totally out performed the XR set-up most noticeable was side hill maneuvers despite it's higher center of gravity. Everyone who drove them both said the positive feeling of the closed cell foams was very noticeable.

Not exactly a perfect testing scenario and that's why I put the new CI inner foam on the shafty (underdog). It was really impressive to see the more top heavy Sporty show the XR how to side hill. Next practice they will both have the closed cell technology.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #69
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

I wanted update this thread with more information. The 5.5 Double Deuce was never intended for the Boss Claw, but many people made it work. After testing and discussion with Team Drivers, I designed a new foam with the Boss Claw in mind. The brand new 5.25" Closed Cell Double Deuce Foams are in stock and now shipping.

Here is a comparison picture of the 5.25" & 5.5" Double Deuce:

Now if you have a sub 5 pound truck, you may want to consider the 5.0" Double Deuce:

Here is a height comparison of all four of the 2.2 size foams:

There are tuning rings now available for the 5.0" & 5.25" DD size as well. Team Drivers have been running soft outers with medium tuning rings for pin tires.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:28 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

So are the "old" and new 5.5" outers the same size ?

Bent
BentKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentKa View Post
So are the "old" and new 5.5" outers the same size ?

Bent
The new closed cell inners are designed to work specifically with the new outer foam. I have mounted a new closed cell inner with an old glue-seamed outer from years ago and while there was some play in between the outer and inner foams- the setup was still usable. An older foam will be broken in and "stretched" feeling compared to a brand new one. Another great use for the old outer foam is to be paired with a 6.0" inner closed cell foam. This will give you more inner support all while maintaining the 5.5" total size. If you have any of the old inner tuning rings they will help also in closing some of the gap in between an old used foam and a brand new closed cell inner.

Last edited by helhedded; 03-27-2012 at 09:08 AM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I wanted update this thread with more information. The 5.5 Double Deuce was never intended for the Boss Claw, but many people made it work. After testing and discussion with Team Drivers, I designed a new foam with the Boss Claw in mind. The brand new 5.25" Closed Cell Double Deuce Foams are in stock and now shipping.

Here is a comparison picture of the 5.25" & 5.5" Double Deuce:

Headsup, the 5.25" soft front with a soft outer tuning ring fills an unshaved Boss Claw quite nicely. I wouldn't run this setup on the rear, for that the 5.25" medium outer with no tuning ring is plenty. This is all for my 5.5lb-ish berg. I like the way they fit more than the 5.5"s now that I have some.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #73
RCC Addict

What size do you guys suggest for HB rovers?
i'm thinking 5.5"?
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevotafun View Post
What size do you guys suggest for HB rovers?
i'm thinking 5.5"?

Yes 5.5" with either soft or medium outers depending on the rig and it's weight. What type of rig are these for and how much does it weigh?

Last edited by helhedded; 03-27-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Yes 5.5" with either soft or medium outers depending on the rig and it's weight.
Thank you Sir
My rig is about 6.5lbs right now looking to shave some weight tho
Old 03-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you Sir
My rig is about 6.5lbs right now looking to shave some weight tho
anytime

I'd go with medium outers at that weight but if you plan on dropping some pick up some softs too.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Ya i'm think soft front and med in the rear. maybe two mediums

Just went to buy some but all i c is the 5.5 inners no outter?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ya i'm think soft front and med in the rear. maybe two mediums

Just went to buy some but all i c is the 5.5 inners no outter?
That means that they are out of stock unfortunately. I'll post up as soon as I know when they will be in stock again.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

ECRC is in stock East Coast RC, ecrchobbies, RC Rock Crawlers.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
Ahh that would explain that and thank you for the link

Dam there out of stock in the soft as well guess i'll be waiting

Do you have a guess to when you will be back in stock?

Last edited by chevotafun; 03-28-2012 at 08:36 AM.

*_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_* - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Double Deuce foams for HB Rovers on XR10? Rock Spider Axial XR10 6 06-01-2011 04:49 PM
Deuce Nova's and Lil Nova's Dual stage foams! bigflex Tires and Wheels 6 10-06-2009 10:50 PM