Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Crawler Innovations

Notices

Thread: Double Deuce, Lil Nova, Deuce's Wild, Dual or Single Stage...What foams do I need?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Arrow Double Deuce, Lil Nova, Deuce's Wild, Dual or Single Stage...What foams do I need?!?!

Foams do not need to be confusing.

Here are some basics you need to know...

#1. The Crawler Innovations - Double Deuce and Lil Nova Foam systems are based on the weight and intended use of the RTR RC Vehicle, not the overall height of the tire.

#2. The closed cell foam is water proof, and air tight. The tire must be vented to allow the foam and the tire to properly conform to the rock surface. No air movement = No tire conformity

#3. Crawler Innovations always recommends stepping up one outer density for the rear foam pair of your RC Vehicle. The reason being, that the weight of the RC vehicle transfers to the rear tires on a climb.

#4. There is no one magical foam that does it all. If you want maximum rock crawling traction, you need a dual stage foam. If you want maximum speed with no tire enlargement, you need a Deuce's Wild Single Stage. Crawler Innovations offers a number of tuning aids that will equip you to finely tune your foams, once you've reached that level of understanding. Not everyone wants to be a pro RC driver, some are happy weekend warriors.

#5. Wheel Weights. Crawler Innovations highly recommends knuckle weights. Do your best to keep rotating weight off your RC vehicle drive train. Your RC vehicle will last longer, perform better, and you can used the saved money from non broken drive train parts for other upgrades.
However, if you do use stick on lead weight around your RC rim, all of the Crawler Innovations Closed Cell Inner Foams will need to be modified to clear your wheel weights without stretching the inner. When you stretch the inner, it increase the Outside Diameter and the foam does perform as designed. A Dremel with a sanding drum makes quick work of modifying the foam.

#6. Narrow Wheels with Standard Foams. If you have a Dremel with a sanding drum, sand the closed cell inner foam at a 45 degree angle so that it matches the width of your clamp ring. All of the VP bead locks are .750" width clamp rings, 1" overall. C.I. sells narrow inner foams, but unless your tire is narrowed, it's not properly filling the tire.

#7. Dual Stage Foams and Water. It's a non-issue, even with the tires vented. The closed cell foam PUSHES water away. So even though water might be coming through a 2mm vent hole, only the outer will retain water, but the outer is being flattened as it is being rolled on, thereby, only a minimal amount of water is even allowed in the tire. At the end of your day of fun, simply hand squeeze out as much water as possible from your tires, then run the RC Vehicle at wide open throttle with the vehicle in a elevated position and the centrifugal force will pull most of the remaining water out through the vent holes. Store your RC vehicle in an elevated position to avoid flat spots in the tires and foams.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Double Deuce, Lil Nova, Deuce's Wild, Dual or Single Stage...What foams do I need

Lil Nova Foam Example:

Tires to be used: 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beast; i.e. the best performing & looking 1.9 Scale tire created.

Truck Weight: Stock SCX10 / Stock Weight 5-6 pounds RTR

Intended usage: ROCK CRAWLING

Foam Suggestion:
4.50" Lil' Nova - Soft outer front/ Medium Outer rear CRI-2020 & CRI-2024
or
4.25" Lil' Nova - Medium outer front / Firm outer rear CRI-2010 & CRI-2014

Either pair will work; the 4.50 pair will deliver a bigger inner for better support, but sacrifice a little forward bite. The 4.25 is the smallest inner, will give less overall support, but will have the most forward bite and tire conformation.

Next example;
Tires to be used: 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beast; i.e. the best performing & looking 1.9 Scale tire created.

Truck Weight: Modified SCX10 / Weight 7-8 pounds RTR

Intended usage: ROCK CRAWLING

Foam Suggestion:
4.50" Lil' Nova - Medium outer front/ Firm Outer rear CRI-2020 & CRI-2024

Next example;

Truck Weight: Stock SCX10 / Not as important, The DW line is a single stage foam

Intended usage: Bashing, General Use, Trails, Water, Mud, non technical rock crawling

Foam Suggestion:
Deuce's Wild for 1.9 Rock Beast CRI-3001

Last edited by Nova's Ark; 03-26-2015 at 01:06 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Default Re: Double Deuce, Lil Nova, Deuce's Wild, Dual or Single Stage...What foams do I need

i am saving this spot for more info later
Old 04-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Do you offer the same range of foam inserts for the 1.55 rim/tire size?
I am looking for a firm foam insert for a 1.55 tire that is 3.44" tall and 1.19" wide.

Your 1.55 lil nova inserts range in height from 4.25-3.75" and another option is 3.25" high. Neither option seems to work for my 3.44" tall tire.
These foams will be used on a Sand Scorcher, so I need a go-fast 1.55 insert not a crawler.

Could you please tell me which of your products will work for my application. I've emailed you and am still waiting for a response...
scalecrawler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hope this is the right place.
I'm not sure which foams to use for my ax10 scorpion kit version (5lbs).
I'm running the new Proline 2.2 Hyrax on kit rims. Crawling, Trailing.
Should i choose the DW (size?) or are the DD (size?) the better choice.

Running both on my Yeti sets (Falken with DD, Voodoo KLR DD 6.0) like both set ups, but that's an total different rig.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Double Deuce, Lil Nova, Deuce's Wild, Dual or Single Stage...What foams do I need?!?! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*_* C.I.'s Lil' Nova Closed Cell Competition Ready 1.9 Dual Stage Foams *_* Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 195 01-08-2021 03:49 PM
Crawler Innovations Proto type 4.75 Dual Stage Lil' Nova Foams for Scale Crawlers Nova's Ark Tires and Wheels 103 02-24-2020 01:01 PM
*_* C.I.'s Double Deuce Closed Cell Competition Ready Dual Stage Foams *_* Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 295 10-26-2018 10:55 AM
Crawler Innovations 2.2 Deuce's Wild Single Stage Scaler and Comp Foams Szczerba Tires and Wheels 22 03-05-2017 10:23 AM
--- C.I.'s Single Stage Double Deuce Foams --- Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 7 03-01-2012 10:32 AM