Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > WRCCA Championship Series > DLUX presents the Red Rock Rumble

Notices

Thread: RC Rock Crawling Championship 2016 - Judges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: RC Rock Crawling Championship 2016 - Judges

I'd be fine paying $100 for 2.2p if the judges were getting paid.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #82
RCC Addict

Me and spencer will judge. Not worried about the money. Just want to help.
donzx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:30 AM   #83
Try to Bend it

If I could be there I would be happy to receive $150 for the day...
With that I would also like some course variation.
Judging breaks.
Bottomless bottle of water.

The only way that I can see it working if all judges wanted the above is if there were an adequate amount of qualified relief judges available. The change over/relief judge would need to be walked through the course to be shown. exactly how questionable instances (if any) were being handled so that consistency could be maintained as best as possible.

I have mentioned on one of the face book discussions, fly me in and give me a bed I will do it for free. Serious offer but I don't like my chances, but those in the USA who have comped with me know a good time is had by all, well most.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't pay 100 to run in one class. max id pay is 20 bucks. id judge for 8 an hour. its not a day job.

but for those like me who are far from the comp "people who travel outside of a 8 hour drive" to get there... yeah should get a little more compensation for their travels.

imo... its a hobby. we are not football players. keep it cheap.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #85
Quarry Creeper

The original post mentioned 1,000 for judging. I am in ohio and that grabbed my attention. But upon further reading I realized that might not be the case. I had wild thoughts of traveling out west and having basically a all expenses paid working vacation if you will. But once I took the time to read the thread I realized by me doing that I'd only be running up the cost of the comp for others. I certainly don't wanna do that. Hopefully you can find people that are coming already to compete, or people who are closer and wouldn't have the travel expenses.

Although I wanna let you know I do like the idea of this.

I primarily do sorrca scale events and judges are usually compensated with a free entry or meal ticket event shirt or somthing similar. But like we've discovered a event is only as serious as the judges take it.

Good luck.

Sorry for the long winded rambling.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
baconbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM   #86
RCC Addict

Thank you guys for your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlingman9000 View Post
I wouldn't pay 100 to run in one class. max id pay is 20 bucks. id judge for 8 an hour. its not a day job.

but for those like me who are far from the comp "people who travel outside of a 8 hour drive" to get there... yeah should get a little more compensation for their travels.

imo... its a hobby. we are not football players. keep it cheap.
The whole aim was to keep this cheap. This approach was to put the cost of the comp in the hands of those attending.... but we need fill 16 judging spots, and as you can tell its been like pulling teeth. Were still only at 8-9 volunteers. Some of those have judged a 10 hr day by themselves in 115* heat last year at worlds. They realize like i do that prviding a quality comp takes work. Some will work for free others will not.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

115 degrees. me being a veteran and have toured once and had been station in south korea as well.. that's not that hot.

as long as you keep cool and drink water... people will be fine. I would judge. id put myself on the list. if only I had that much time to travel.

im just putting in my 2 cents because I don't think 1 entry should cost up and over 20 dollars for one entry. 25 is okay. but 15 for other entries after the first is excepted.

I race a lot. weather its club racing or in a series event. each race I pay 20 for my first class. and 15 each extra class I run.

I marshal after each race I complete. 3 heats and the mains. so say I race 3 classes (or crawl in three classes) I marshal 3 races per heat and per main. no matter what the weather is like if its inside or outside. and we all do it for free. we don't get paid. its just how this side of the hobby is.

so all in all. weather im paid or not. id be a judge. if I could make it. 100 for entry is a bit much if you run 1 class imo.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:32 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I marshal after each race I complete. 3 heats and the mains. so say I race 3 classes (or crawl in three classes) I marshal 3 races per heat and per main. no matter what the weather is like if its inside or outside. and we all do it for free. we don't get paid. its just how this side of the hobby is.

so all in all. weather im paid or not. id be a judge. if I could make it. 100 for entry is a bit much if you run 1 class imo.
Judging is WAY different than being a Marshall. Judging requires very close attention to the driver on course and making judgement calls about their run. Running up and down rocks for each person who runs. Not just standing there and flipping cars back over.

Do not underestimate being a judge at a crawling event. It is NOT an easy task...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #89
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I judged for less than 3 hours last year, mentally fried me.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

So I'll chime in here, 115° with no shade is F***ING HOT i don't care who you are... the guys who judged last year must be super human. I will not even attend a comp that is forecasted to be that hot again..
Thank you to all those judges...

What am I willing to pay? I see no reason not to charge anything less than last yr. For 2.2s & 2.2PRO/MOD I paid 150.00 and would do so again... (as long it's not over 101°) I'm heat sensitive

Let's hope below stays true..

Last edited by tapped-out; 07-01-2016 at 10:25 AM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

I understand its different. im not calling out anybody or calling anybody weak. I would not ever..... ever pay 150 for three classes.

and 101 without shade? put some pants and a longsleeve on and wear a hat and boots. drink water. eat. its not hard.

and as far as being mentally fried? after three hours of judging I couldn't see anybody's brain being fried.

I could judge all day no problem. just sayin.

keep the comps cheap, and keep it fun. call the progress and all other actions out. not hard to do any of that. its not hard to judge.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

I could judge 2.2s or 2.2p and I would not expect compensation.
shakemandril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

lets remember how much a real comp cost back in the old days...
Old 07-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

HEY MODS! How About we get the thread name changed? It's ridiculous how hard you have to look to find the thread for the biggest comp of the year.
nappahdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:19 AM   #95
RCC Addict

Can't you guys follow what JSlick is doing for NENC?

2016 NENC Judging Schedule

I can't believe there are seasoned drivers out there whining that comp crawling is a dying sport, but absolutely refuse to get off their self-centered asses and contribute to the judging shortage.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post

I personally think this is worth a shot. I know how some feel about this style of judging (I understand why). IMO it the way to start judging comps..
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I could judge all day no problem. just sayin.

keep the comps cheap, and keep it fun. call the progress and all other actions out. not hard to do any of that. its not hard to judge.
Erik, I found you another volunteer.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:46 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I can't believe there are seasoned drivers out there whining that comp crawling is a dying sport, but absolutely refuse to get off their self-centered asses and contribute to the judging shortage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
I personally think this is worth a shot. I know how some feel about this style of judging (I understand why). IMO it the way to start judging comps..

I'll be honest I am just following what I saw as a success at the New England Monster showdown, BC-Brian was brave and had the forethought to organize it and give it a try. We do this because we love it. I feel we all have to step up, suck it up and do our part. We cant expect someone else to do it. Jump in, learn the rules, grab a clipboard. If you are scared grab a timer to start and watch and learn. I know it is how I got better as a driver.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:48 PM   #99
Try to Bend it

First comp I ever attended I judged at and have swung the clip board at every other bar 2 comps I have ever attended. 2011, 2012 US Nationals were the ones I did not judge at, 2013 I put around 40 people through a course to speed up the day and shorten the cue time.
It is hard, it is scary and it definitely is tiresome. But it is rewarding and something that all people should strive to do if they want to participate in this great hobby.

Last edited by Highlucks; 07-03-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
I think the schedule is a good idea. This way judges arent stuck on course all day with no breaks or reprieve. However, the main issue i have with this system is that 9 judges are calling the shots on this course. At 18 different time slots. Imo thats too many eyes with too much variation. The scheduled hours and time on course is an idea i can get behind and should be standard for any event where more than 25 drivers are planning to attend. But for the sake of consistency in my opinion i think there can be no more than 4 judges making calls on the course.

Youd never see referees or umpires changing out in the middle of a game for any sport at any level.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote

RC Rock Crawling Championship 2016 - Judges - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Crawling at the location of worlds 2016 Snatch Videos! 13 01-22-2017 05:55 PM
RC Rock Crawling Championship 2016 - Vendor donations Erik D_lux DLUX presents the Red Rock Rumble 28 09-28-2016 11:05 AM
RC Rock Crawling Championship 2016 Erik D_lux DLUX presents the Red Rock Rumble 98 09-23-2016 07:32 AM
RC Rock Crawling Championship 2016: Hotel and Camping Info. SkaldidDog DLUX presents the Red Rock Rumble 10 09-11-2016 10:02 PM
Northeast National Rock Crawling Championship Jslick Maryland 1 06-09-2015 12:43 PM