Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Brought it Home..DTX cliffclimber RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

The only way it is possible for one wheel to spin and not the other is if something is broke. Is there any kind of clicking? Is the dogbone popping out on the side thats not turning? A reviewer had an issue where he had to put an o-ring in the outer cup to keep the dogbone from moving back and forth in the joints.
We are working with someone for optional motors. Hopefully soon.
If you find you have broken part let me know.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

yup, I sure did hear a clicking... dogbone issues were my first thought when I looked at the parts diagrahm

I just want to add, this is Duratrax first attempt at a crawler and a first release, lets not beat up on them too much yet, Im sure there are some machining issues that need worked out. I think with some CVD's and a straight axle adapter these axles would make a great low budget version of the berg

Last edited by jetboat; 08-04-2008 at 12:13 PM.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

problem #1 found the problem with the front axle is the dogbone coming out of the cup... I see 2 possible solutions:
1 Someone needs to make some CVD's
2 Use a spacer of some sort in the hub (O ring or spring)

Honestly this is the first time I have pulled apart an axle from anything that runs dogbones and it didnt have a spring in it that is ment to keep the bone pushed in.

You cant see it in the picture very well but it did chew up the cup a little

Tons of screws to get the axle apart and it doesnt have an adjustable motor mount!!!!!!

Inside shot of the axles (Im sure someone will ask for it)

Its not up and running yet, the #35 o-rings I had on hand were too big so Ill stop tomorrow for some new smaller ones. Also I went ahead and pulled the rear servo off and am trying to figure out a good lockout. Rear steer is a fun novalty but its pointless on something this short.

CVD's , steel gears and a better motor and I can see this truck being great for a 1.9" class.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Bug Body looks like a good fit... all the body/wheel lines match up to the stock body.

is this the HPI bug body?
BoredGord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVFK0&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVFJ9&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVFK1&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVFJ1&P=7

Do you have any o-rings out of an old pair of shocks? That should work or cut a small piece of fuel tubing.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Forgot to mention we also have a rear steer lockout coming.
J
Old 08-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Wow... after seeing it in action, I'm suddenly less happy about winning one... oh, well, once I figure out how to put some 540 motors on it we'll be in business!
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

yes...hpi bug Body...Thanks Jdawg...hadnt seen those... Now I run for cover, the TV just said a tornado is coming this way....fun
Old 08-04-2008, 07:50 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
Forgot to mention we also have a rear steer lockout coming.
J

Good. I'm not too happy with the rear steer on mine. It's very loose and sloppy.
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #30
RCC Addict

well it looks decent width for 2.2 also. is the width comparable to a tlt? it looks like it could be. Well out of the box it isn't that impressive but I can't see anything that can't be fixed, so lots of room for improvement. I'll give duratrax a hand for just trying to make something and it really looks like it has potential. I think the only thing I can see that can't be fixed is the axles look a little boxy (at least can't be fixed without aftermarket parts. which would probably be aluminum and I wouldn't want aluminum for axles if I can avoid it). so some things to improve on but still thumbsup duratrax.

where is traxxas? first hobby level rc was a stampede and i have loved traxxas ever since. They will pretty much be the last to jump on the wagon. I can't really see any other companies jumping in.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Yes, the rear steering linkage is sloppy due to the standoff required. However, depending on what your plans are you can get a servo reverser lead
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFN1&P=7
or you can install a Hobbic CS-170
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNRN6&P=ML
which rotates in the opposite direction of the stock servo and Futaba servos. Then, install the same style linkage as used on the front. This takes all of that slop out. Just depends on if you were going to upgrade the servos anyways which route to take.
Another option is like Jet is going to do and that is eliminate the rear steer.

Hope this helps guys.
J
Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
where is traxxas? first hobby level rc was a stampede and i have loved traxxas ever since. They will pretty much be the last to jump on the wagon. I can't really see any other companies jumping in.
I think if the losi is a hit and they produce a competitive 1/10 scale, we might just see Traxxas and Associated jump on the crawler scene.

As for the footage of the Duratrax, I am actually somewhat Impressed. yeah, thats right impressed. I honestly didn't thing the Duracrap would move . You all may be excited to get one, but I think that this one truck will be a huge blow to the hobby.

mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #33
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You can use just the battery that is labeled as number 2 on the ESC, and then short the first battery leads. It will crawl at a normal pace then.

Mine is still crawling strong stock. About time to start modding it since I am used to how it drives now.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
You can use just the battery that is labeled as number 2 on the ESC, and then short the first battery leads. It will crawl at a normal pace then.

Mine is still crawling strong stock. About time to start modding it since I am used to how it drives now.

I THINK THIS TRUCK HAS POTENTIAL. HEY JRH,WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? TEKIN FXR AND 11V LIPO? OR DO YOU HAVESOME SNEEKY MOTORS IN THE WORKS.
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #35
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sneeky motors. I haven't been able to test the stock ESC, but it doesn't have a lipo cutoff.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

sneeky motors? do I hear a call for mini colbalts ?

You could pickup a couple of Reedy 19turn rc18 motors and rewind them for say 45 turns or so.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Now I Would Be Up For That. Metal Gears Some 35t Or 45t And A Lipo Ready Esc. I Think It Will Be Time To Buy One If Motors Are Availible. Mini Cobalts Would Be A Dream Come True .
BILLYGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:54 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Guess its not that good eh? 1 minute and the thing breaks? Guess those videos must the factory ringers. I thought it would be good out of the box. I was planning to get this or the cr-01 since they are the most hated/ignored crawlers. I feel that they have lots of potential.

Why was this even purchased as an RTR? Maybe it was free? This is rccrawler and going with anything RTR is just not cool. Actually RTR's aren't ever good at all to begin with.

The axles don't look too impressive. Seems like it could've been more sleek and with less material. Again this is only ONE review.

I remember there was one picture of this crawler at an office meeting with a bunch of Duratrax Corporation execs wearing their suit and ties (and probably held at an asian country?). Seems like they approve of this product. Makes you wonder just how many of them are real rc crawlers or even know anything about it. $_$
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Survived the storms last night.....

Dont count the this little truck out... I was very unimpressed out of the box but, like the TLT it needs some aftermarket parts to be great. The nice thing is, talking with Jdawg53, Duratrax is on the ball and is making CVD's, rear lockouts etc. I think if you really take a hard look at the axles of this truck you will find them to be clods that are designed for a 2.2 class truck.
Im still dealing with some major stall on my rear axle but, I have ideas for that.

In my opinion, take it for what you want, buy the ARR for the axles if nothing else...sure is allot cheaper than a berg

JRH.. are you just shorting the + and - leads together on battery #1 ??

Last edited by jetboat; 08-05-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

Jet
Glad to hear you didn't end up in OZ
If you have any problems feel free to pm me. I will do whatever I can.

JRH give me a call at work when you get a minute.

J