Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Brought it Home..DTX cliffclimber RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
throw them in the oven at 225* for aboiut 15 mins they'll come right off no harm done
Ok. I'll give it a try. thanks
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

How are you going to turn it into a comp rig? From your pics it looks like you would have to make huge links to get the WB. Or just scrap the chassis and use another. What are your plans for the comp rig thing??? just curious.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
How are you going to turn it into a comp rig? From your pics it looks like you would have to make huge links to get the WB. Or just scrap the chassis and use another. What are your plans for the comp rig thing??? just curious.

Im working on plans for a stick chassis... Im finding mounting it to the axles to be slightly difficult.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #64
RCC Addict

could you use the raised portions the links and shocks mount to on the top axle case and make a BMV-II style torsion chassis?

hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

I had mine out today for just the third time. Now when I try to climb a rock the right front spins, left front stalls and clicks and doesn't move, and rears stall and do nothing. What a disappointment. I should have returned the thing before I put it together.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

the o-rings in the axles will take care of the popping.... cvd's are the real cure but unknown when they will be in-stock. As for the stalling, im going to work on the electronics on mine after the comp this weekend. If nothing else these might make great axles Donors once they are outfited properly.

BMV II chassis would be nothing to make with these axles... I just dont like torsion chassis
Old 08-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #67
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You could set it up droop style pretty easily. The suspension would actually be great stock, but droop sprung.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 PM   #68
RCC Addict

oh, sorry, forgot the difference between the stick and the cane
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the o-rings in the axles will take care of the popping.... cvd's are the real cure but unknown when they will be in-stock. As for the stalling, im going to work on the electronics on mine after the comp this weekend. If nothing else these might make great axles Donors once they are outfited properly.

BMV II chassis would be nothing to make with these axles... I just dont like torsion chassis

I'll try the O-rings in the axles. If I could get all 4 tires turning I think this thing would be a decent crawler. I've had good luck with duratrax in the past. I've owned 3 Evaders, a Mini-Quake, and a Vendetta. All were great vehicles. The Cliff Climber is just getting me frustrated. I just discovered that I forgot to take the protective covering off the body before I put the stickers on. I had it looking really nice with all the stickers, and now the covering is coming off so I'll have to rip them all off.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

What size pinions do these things have? i ordered mine and i should recieve it this weekend and i don't know anything about it, if clodstall is that bad ,maybe gear down on the rear diff and bolt up to help with the stall.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

the problem with gearing down on the rear is that it doesnt have an adjustable motor mount... there is some play but not much.

What realy kind of sucks is that we are the first people to ever have this truck so we get to work out all the bugs... Not like clods or TLT's were people have been running them for years and they have a huge amount of tips and tricks out there. Think of it as being a pioneer in the field In 5 yrs people will be coming to us for advice on this truck.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
the problem with gearing down on the rear is that it doesnt have an adjustable motor mount... there is some play but not much.

What realy kind of sucks is that we are the first people to ever have this truck so we get to work out all the bugs... Not like clods or TLT's were people have been running them for years and they have a huge amount of tips and tricks out there. Thinl of it as being a pioneer in the field

Yeah. I know what you mean. My next step it to try a two esc setup. I've never done that in a car before. I've been an airplane guy for 25 years and just dabbled in cars. Since I discovered crawling I've been hooked.

Do you just use a Y connector to hook both esc's into the receiver? I assume you would power each one with its own battery pack and disable the BEC on one of them. Is that correct? Or am I way off base?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I believe you will actually need to run the 2 esc's off 2 channels (using a stick radio). Thats how everyone I know runs them. The advantage of doing this is front and rear dig is super easy.
I think before I went overboard with 3 esc's I would try making a radio plate or modding the current so you can drop a tooth on the rear motor.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:02 PM   #74
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Gearing is mod .6, 2.3mm stock pinion bore.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I believe you will actually need to run the 2 esc's off 2 channels (using a stick radio). Thats how everyone I know runs them. The advantage of doing this is front and rear dig is super easy.
I think before I went overboard with 3 esc's I would try making a radio plate or modding the current so you can drop a tooth on the rear motor.

You're probably right. No sense spending too much on this. I wonder if my battery (2 cell 1500 Lipo) or ESC (mamba 25) are part of the problem. Do you think another Battery or ESC might be better? I know JRH can answer this. He's the power setup expert.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

You can run two esc's off a y-harness, but you have to cut one of the red BEC wires on one ESC... then they'll work together.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavelinSST390 View Post
You can run two esc's off a y-harness, but you have to cut one of the red BEC wires on one ESC... then they'll work together.

Thats what I thought. As long as they are identical ESC's it should work.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Gearing is mod .6, 2.3mm stock pinion bore.
Thanks JRH, have any in stock?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

I tried the wire loop idea that some use on clods (8" of extra wire on the rear motor) it helps but not enough.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

I'm still waiting for johnrobholmes to chime in about the 2 esc idea. He's the expert when it comes to power setups. I was always under the assumption that you could use 2 identical esc's in a y harness in the same channel. If I'm right, I'll give it a try.