Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: cartronicshn's Cliff climber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Well i received some goodies for my C.C., bearings, aluminum links, aluminum gears and pinions, i will put them on tomorrow and post up the results

cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Well i had installed most of the upgrades and took it for a test drive, but i had a cheap am radio and it had all kinds of glitching, so i put away the truck while i got some spektrum receivers, and i took it out for another drive today and was pleasantly surprised, no glitching, only insane power from the jrh motors, i did feel that the start up was kind of abrupt for these motors, i have to play a little more with the mamba settings though, and will get some vid tomorrow.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the comment chevy, i have been driving this rig, and it is a lot of fun, i also lowered the body a bit and it looks better imho, i still owe you guys a video, i will get it as soon as it stops raining for a

Old 10-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Aghh...carnage, again:-(, the only gear that is not available yet in aluminum is the weakest link now, the main gears can't take them JRH motors, i have to order some extra mains now, and the C.C. will be out of commision for a while:-(, to bad as i was really enjoying it, oh well....

Old 10-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Don't worry. I received some samples of the metal main gear that you are talking about. They have ALOT of running on them and still look like new. I am running 454's also.
How many cells are you using? I recommend 5 cells with the stock plastic main gear. That worked very well for me.
Also, the metal main gears ARE SOLID METAL! Nice and heavy and super durable.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the good news, time frame for their availabilty? as for the cells, i know i am abusing the gears, i am running 8 cell 2/3 packs.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

I tried 8 cells at first but quickly found that was too much. Especially with a drag brake.
I will check into when the gears will be available. Should be soon but will post when I have something more solid.
5-6 cells seem to work very well.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Excited to hear about the metal main gear. I only chewed one of the small teeth on the idler so far, but it was enough to know this thing needs some heavy metal.
I don't have the 454's, but 45T 370's and an ad-on gear reducer. It was enought to chew nylon.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

I been having some issues, not sure what to try first, anyways, i have some questions about the start up of these motors, they are not smooth at all, also i have experienced when the rig is in a bind and give the motors some throttle(not full) the esc will shut off, it's a mamba 25 JRH said would be fine with these 2 motors and a standard servo, at first i thought it might be the 2/3 packs didn't have enough juice so i tried one of my 4.4 mah maxamps packs and got the same result, any ideas?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:20 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

I haven't used this rig that much because of the startup problems, any ideas might be helpful, remember i am running a mamba 25 with 2 454 motors, if you look at the video the start up is all jittery and as more power is applied it becomes somewhat stable, i also have a 995 tg servo and i am running a 40mhz 4ch radio, i have tried a spektrum radio in it and same deal, so we can rule radio glitching out.

Video is being uploaded right now

Last edited by cartronicshn; 12-26-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Uploaded video
Old 02-16-2009, 03:51 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I am still hoping someone has any ideas of why the jumpiness of this rig with these motors, i have also played with esc settings everthing from punch control, timing, etc. and no improvement, lmk your ideas, i am really dissapointed on this rig for the amount of money and time i put into it and i have maybe ran three full packs on it:-(
Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #32

I am running the Cobalts as well with 11t pinions and a Novak Rooster Crawler Edition ESC with 2 1600mAh Duratrax NiMH packs in parallel for 7.2V. I am also using the stock receiver and don't seem to have any issues. I happen to be running the mamba ESC on my Losi mini Baja with a 5400 kV Mamba brushless with a 3C Lipo in it. With the stock Losi crap radio it is very glitchy from startup. I thought it might have been my radio, but it may have been the ESC. I played with all variety of settings using the CastleLink USB programmer, but still it can jump strangely from a standing start.

I would find someone with a different large ESC and see if you can wire some plugs to isolate the ESC component alone using of your gear and the other ESC. I can start mine on a steep climb with just a hint of juice and no jitter.

I am also running 2.2 M2K somethings that are way bigger than stock with like 3 strips of lead per tire in front and 1.5 strips per tire in the rear. Haven't blown the nylon internals yet, but my shopping cart at Tower is full of the metal stuff.

What exactly is your doing again ?
richmondcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondcrawler View Post
I am running the Cobalts as well with 11t pinions and a Novak Rooster Crawler Edition ESC with 2 1600mAh Duratrax NiMH packs in parallel for 7.2V. I am also using the stock receiver and don't seem to have any issues. I happen to be running the mamba ESC on my Losi mini Baja with a 5400 kV Mamba brushless with a 3C Lipo in it. With the stock Losi crap radio it is very glitchy from startup. I thought it might have been my radio, but it may have been the ESC. I played with all variety of settings using the CastleLink USB programmer, but still it can jump strangely from a standing start.

I would find someone with a different large ESC and see if you can wire some plugs to isolate the ESC component alone using of your gear and the other ESC. I can start mine on a steep climb with just a hint of juice and no jitter.

I am also running 2.2 M2K somethings that are way bigger than stock with like 3 strips of lead per tire in front and 1.5 strips per tire in the rear. Haven't blown the nylon internals yet, but my shopping cart at Tower is full of the metal stuff.

What exactly is your doing again ?
I am that someone with a bunch of bigger esc;), what i was trying to make sure was that this esc wasn't going to work with these motors, and i was trying to cover all possibilities since this is the combo i got from JRH, and as for what it is doing, it is very glitchy form start up and the glitch does fade away with more throttle.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #34
~THE SCALE SHOP~

yeah ive been wanting to try the 454 on 5 cells, and rooster crawler. but ill wait to see if the motors are what causes the jittering cause damn there expensive.
yeah i was curious what folks were doing about the larger shaft in the 454s
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #35
~THE SCALE SHOP~

also im confused, are 100% metal gears available, or is one of the gears not available in metal? only stock plastic.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I don't think the main gear is yet available in metal
Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
yeah ive been wanting to try the 454 on 5 cells, and rooster crawler. but ill wait to see if the motors are what causes the jittering cause damn there expensive.
yeah i was curious what folks were doing about the larger shaft in the 454s
Well i found out the horrible jittering i had before(see video) was because i was running 48 pitch pinion on my c.c. because the duratrax pinions had to small a bore for the 454 and regular 48 pitch pinions worked well with 454 and they looked liked they were meshing properly, i finally got some novak pinions with 1/8" bore and they fit nicely on the motors and these are 0.6 pitch and these also actually mesh properly and don't bind, i have installed a 11t on the back and 12t on the front. I know have stall, but i will weigh the tires down and put up a new vid
Old 04-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Glad you got it figured out. Hopefully you can get some use out of it now.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #39

I just started reading this and saw you were using 48p pinions early on; that can lead to some funny noises down the road LOL Robinson Racing makes metric pinions with a 1/8" hole down the 12 teeth.
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Love the Rockford theme DOWN WITH PLASTIC GEARS !!!
86 Iroc is offline   Reply With Quote