Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: cartronicshn's Cliff climber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up cartronicshn's Cliff climber

So for now this thread goes in the general section, probably we will have our one section for these rigs pretty soon. Anyways here are some pics of mine ARTR, i will add a sidewinder esc , 2 ch radio, lock the rear steering, try a 3s, weigh the tires, not sure on the body colors yet.

Pics next to my comp ax-10

cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

It is a really fun vehicle, especially for the price. Do you have other tires planned yet? I want mine to be 1.9.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

So what are your overall thoughts on the rig, does it seem to be well manufactured?.........I guess what I am asking is it cheaply built or does it seem to be a pretty durable (tough) rig?
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

for indoor crawling the truck realy cant be beat.

Any mods planned?
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
It is a really fun vehicle, especially for the price. Do you have other tires planned yet? I want mine to be 1.9.
I was actually unaware these were 2.2 until i pulled it out of the box, that's just me, buying on impulse, but yes i want go with 1.9 maybe the losi mini claws when they are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHardwear View Post
So what are your overall thoughts on the rig, does it seem to be well manufactured?.........I guess what I am asking is it cheaply built or does it seem to be a pretty durable (tough) rig?
DTX has a reputation of building solid bashers, i haven't owned that many duratrax products, but this one looks well bulit, i try to see it as a really cheap entry level crawler that will definetly need some upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
for indoor crawling the truck realy cant be beat.

Any mods planned?
For now just the basic, go for the 1.9 tires, call JRH for some motors and batt packs, and the o ring mod while the cvd come out
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I took out mine for a crawl, and noticed the stall, i was only running a 6 cell AA pack, imho it feels like the motors are lacking low end power and the gearing is to high, i think with thicker wiring to the motors, slower motors and lower gears it would almost make the stall go away.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well i painted the body, my master installer Oscar(car audio), suggested a Rockford Fosgate themed paint job and he would cut out the logos, so we did it, we sell and distribute this brand among others in my country btw.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

That looks great. Like the color combination.

I see that you have a comp rig next to it. I would like to see you put those wheels on the Cliff Climber.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
That looks great. Like the color combination.

I see that you have a comp rig next to it. I would like to see you put those wheels on the Cliff Climber.

Those look like eritex comp heavy wheels with panther tires. I had the same wheel/tires on my Cliff Climber. It looked really odd.
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Oh you did? I suppose they look odd because of the short wheelbase and tiny body. Wondering if the axles could handle the larger diameter tires with heavy wheels.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh you did? I suppose they look odd because of the short wheelbase and tiny body. Wondering if the axles could handle the larger diameter tires with heavy wheels.
Yeah, i don't think it would be healthy for the stock axle inners....although the aluminum upgrades coming out soon should be a different story
Old 08-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I was afraid something would break, so I took them off. The CC doesn't even like my Proline eights shooter/flatirons with 4 oz all around. I've had the best luck with the stock tires/wheels with 3 oz lead in front and 1 oz in rear.
sgil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgil2001 View Post
I was afraid something would break, so I took them off. The CC doesn't even like my Proline eights shooter/flatirons with 4 oz all around. I've had the best luck with the stock tires/wheels with 3 oz lead in front and 1 oz in rear.
I added 1 1/2 oz of lead weights to the stock front wheels and have a 6 cell 2/3 elite pack on top of the servo, it has helped some, i am waiting on some motors from JRH and a mamba esc and it will be awesome, anyways i went to pick up the rig from the front axle with only the weight mods and the links started to bend , i can only imagine with the comp heavies on there, it would probably snap them.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

So it seems like the CC couldn't be really used as 2.2 hardcore crawler because the reason is its durability? But even with the metal gear upgrades installed how about the gearing? Is it even possible that a 380 at its full potential can hold its own against 540's? I'm getting the impression that the 380 does have speed but lacks torque.

I have never experienced 380's before as far as hobby class rc's.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:23 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Fobby, first of, i would like to say you have valid questions, but the CC is an entry level crawler, it will do more or less ok in stock form, but if you want a comp crawler of some sort you have to put up the $$, for instance if wanted to put more weight and heavier wheels i would definetly have to invest in the aluminum links, better motors and possibly alumninum gears( which i am btw, as soon as i get my motors from JRH i will post up). On the motor question, i spoke over the phone with JRH and he told me the motors i am getting on 6 cell have more that enough torque not only to get the rig out of any situation but even break stuff if not driven properly.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well i was looking around for some links that would fit my cc (i do have a lot of aluminum rod and sleeving to make them, but i didn't feel like taking the time for that) and i stumbled into my first tlt chassis, a carbon fiber penguin, and it had the links i needed fro the front, slightly longer, enough to get the steering to work like it should, the rear will remain stock until the bent links come out, besides the weight is in the front, some pics, sorry for it being so dark, my camera's flash died.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Some goodies arrived, looks like the 7t puller had twin babies

Of course the mamba controller

And where did this sweet electronics come from? well let the stickers do the talking, you are the man John
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Well the stock pinions didn't fit my new motors, and i was all out of 12t 48 pitch pinions, so i went ahead and drilled the first stock pinion but broke two in the process, so i pulled one 10t i had laying around and put it in the rear axle, left the 12t in the front axle, it worked until the front axle locked up, so now i am waiting for parts from tower, i got the aluminum gears and links and soem 12t pinions.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

So could the power level of the twin mini-pullers compare to, say, a standard 55t 540 crawling motor?

I'm really looking at making my DTX my next 2.2 comp rig (with the metal-innard upgrades, of course)
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

those little motors have way more low end and speed than the stockers, to much for stock internals in the diff for sure, and i only tried them on a 6 cell 2/3 nimh pack, i can only imagine the speed on 3s lipo