Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Dez's CC Zero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Thanks. For some reason, I don't think I'll be running Losi tires. VVVV
1.9 panthers??? maybe? just a wild guess. ...or is it...lol
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #22
Rock Stacker

Looking good so far. Good job for being the first to swap out the chassis. Those bottom links seem a bit flimsy =P. Your solution for the top link mounts looks good. Seems unfortunate that the factory locations could not be used. I wonder how are you going to do the rear if its just going to be 2ws?
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:55 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
1.9 panthers??? maybe? just a wild guess. ...or is it...lol
Or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobby View Post
Looking good so far. Good job for being the first to swap out the chassis. Those bottom links seem a bit flimsy =P. Your solution for the top link mounts looks good. Seems unfortunate that the factory locations could not be used. I wonder how are you going to do the rear if its just going to be 2ws?
Yeah, the lower links will get sleeved or replaced, this is all in mock up at the moment. The upper link mount should work well, 's it located similarly to other MDA designs link mounts. I will use lock out in the rear as our 10.5 class will be 2WS w/ no dig.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Thanks. For some reason, I don't think I'll be running Losi tires. VVVV
is because your a panther team driver ? or is it a can of worms not worth opening ?? ;)
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

I think these upper link mounts are the ones Yotachump sells under axials 'billet rear upper link mount', nice units indeed.

This really shows how small the zero really is, getting temting to build a 2.2 motor axled rig again
crawl rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:58 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted View Post
is because your a panther team driver ? or is it a can of worms not worth opening ?? ;)
Because I drive for Panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl rookie View Post
I think these upper link mounts are the ones Yotachump sells under axials 'billet rear upper link mount', nice units indeed.

This really shows how small the zero really is, getting temting to build a 2.2 motor axled rig again
Thanks for the info, I won it several months ago and just had it sitting on the work bench. I'll see if I can order another.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:35 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Because I drive for Panther.

reduce some panthers down
Old 09-02-2008, 08:29 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Well I'm finished mocking up the CCZ for the most part. Still waiting on a set of Axial stub axles so I can narrow the rear up, and I haven't decided what to do for tires just yet. I do have a few ideas, so I'll have to see what I can come up w/. For now the stock CC tires and wheels will work.

Here it is all mocked up.

Wheel base is at 11 inches, so I'll need to shorten up the finished links about a 1/4 inch each to hit my 10 1/2 wheel base target. Other than ordering the Axial stub axles and a Waypoint servo from Holmes Hobbies, I'm still using parts from the parts bin. I made the rear lock out from some left over Axial rod ends.

So now I'll tear it down and do the final build, mount the remaining electronics, mount a body, and so on.

Hope to have more progress soon.

Last edited by dezfan; 09-30-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:03 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

i like it. think the belly is gonna remain that high ?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Nice rig, you gonna have droop or leave it that high? Also i think some Holmes mini pullers would fit nice into that
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i like it. think the belly is gonna remain that high ?
It will sit a bit lower when it's finished. Right now it has about 3 1/2 inches of center chassis clearance. When it's finished it will be around 3 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkidjf7 View Post
Nice rig, you gonna have droop or leave it that high? Also i think some Holmes mini pullers would fit nice into that
It sits at the same height as the stock CC? The mini pullers are in the future, waiting to upgrade to the metal gears first. No sense installing the pullers and then killing the stock gears.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It will sit a bit lower when it's finished. Right now it has about 3 1/2 inches of center chassis clearance. When it's finished it will be around 3 inches.

It sits at the same height as the stock CC? The mini pullers are in the future, waiting to upgrade to the metal gears first. No sense installing the pullers and then killing the stock gears.
Huh, it must just look high then Smart idea on them gears, puller + plastic = fail
coolkidjf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Can you connect the lower links to the shock mount on the axle? To level them, and move them above the axle, like on a clod? Seems like you could gain a great deal of clearance that way.

Last edited by 4xFord; 09-03-2008 at 07:59 PM.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Can you connect the lower links to the shock mount on the axle? To level them, and move them above the axle, like on a clod? Seems like you could gain a great deal of clearance that way.

That's a good idea. I can use the stock upper link location to mount the lower link to.

Why didn't I think of that!

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2008, 10:21 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
That's a good idea. I can use the stock upper link location to mount the lower link to.

Why didn't I think of that!

Thanks!
doh! right now it looks like an old school clod with the links like that. Like a gecko or something z It is looking very much improved though. Does panther have plans for 1.9's? or do you not know? or are you just not allowed to talk about it? haha. I know there is going to be some itching for some comp worthy 1.9's with the release of this and the losi mini crawler.

p.s. I don't see the big fuss about the height of the chassis. Its not like it has a tranny and motor on it! With the lower links leveled out a bit (hc or move the axle end of the links up) it should be looking fine.

Last edited by RCMFMaxxMan; 09-03-2008 at 10:28 PM.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan View Post
doh! right now it looks like an old school clod with the links like that. Like a gecko or something z It is looking very much improved though. Does panther have plans for 1.9's? or do you not know? or are you just not allowed to talk about it? haha. I know there is going to be some itching for some comp worthy 1.9's with the release of this and the losi mini crawler.

p.s. I don't see the big fuss about the height of the chassis. Its not like it has a tranny and motor on it! With the lower links leveled out a bit (hc or move the axle end of the links up) it should be looking fine.
It's basically a mini Clod now.

I'm playing w/ some Panther tires for it, can't say whether or not Panther will be releasing anything in the 1.9 size range, although I agree that there will be an increased demand for comp quality 1.9s w/ the release of the Losi mini Crawler.

I think it looks taller than most people are used to seeing after looking at the 2.2 shafties.

Last edited by dezfan; 09-03-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

wouldn't that cause a place to get hung up on the rear axle ? for example, with the lower links running down to the bottom of the axles what ever the links are sliding across the axles are in line so they kind of hop over the obstacle also. if the links were up higher and not in line with the bottom links i would think that would create a notch for the axle to get hung up on ??

idk...i should prolly stop thinking.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
wouldn't that cause a place to get hung up on the rear axle ? for example, with the lower links running down to the bottom of the axles what ever the links are sliding across the axles are in line so they kind of hop over the obstacle also. if the links were up higher and not in line with the bottom links i would think that would create a notch for the axle to get hung up on ??

It might, until I get it all set up it's hard to say.

The beauty of being the first to try it.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

The tires should help fill that notch. It has worked great like that on clods for years. But, in your defence, the tires Dez may run may be so small that your point could become an issue. Your same argument could be used against high clearance bent links, yet they have seen great success also. I guess as always, it is give and take.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The tires should help fill that notch. It has worked great like that on clods for years. But, in your defence, the tires Dez may run may be so small that your point could become an issue. Your same argument could be used against high clearance bent links, yet they have seen great success also. I guess as always, it is give and take.
That's my thinking as well. The tires I'm looking to use are in the 4 1/2 inch range, so they should be ok.

I think it will work fine. If it doesn't, then more changes! That's the fun part.

RTR.......Pffft, I prefer this kind of a build!