RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Duratrax Cliff Climber (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/duratrax-cliff-climber/)
-   -   Dez's CC Zero (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/duratrax-cliff-climber/132455-dezs-cc-zero.html)

dezfan 08-21-2008 08:47 PM

Dez's CC Zero

I received my Cliff Climber recently and decided pretty much from the get go that I was not going to run it stock. I really love the MDA concept and wanted to see were I could take these axles as far as performance goes.

I've seen the stock rigs performance and it's really not that bad. That really gave me hope that these little axles could be a base for a really good performing rig, and with Duratrax having metal gears and CVD available soon, modifing these shouldn't be much of a task. :grin:

My first impression of the ARTR kit I purchases was positive for the most part.

As an ARTR rig, it came as an assembled roller w/ a clear pre-cut body, decal sheet, window mask, assorted extra hardware, and an assembly manual. I didn't want to purchase the RTR as I really have no use for more lower end electronics. I plan to install a Spektrum Rx and add it to my DXR3, run a Mamba Sidewider 35 ESC, the stock motors (for now) and a small lipo pack to power everything.

I liked the lower 4 link setup, but the upper links mounting points left a lot to be desired in it's lay out. The upper links are in need of help and the stock axle clocking is so sever that it causes steering issues. I'll correct that.

I plan to use my original aluminum Zero chassis from Kamikaze Kustoms to improve the geometry, I also narrowed the axles up a bit and I just want to get it to perform as well as I possibly can.

First thing I did was remove the front axle and started to examine it. I notices that the stub axles were very similar to the Axial Stub (later confirmed when I saw Johnrob's pictures) and dug through my parts bin and found the two rear Axial knuckles, stub axles, and bearings from when I converted my sons rig to a solid rear axle set up. I removed the factory knuckle, popped off the hex, slid the stub out, and removed the bushings. I then installed the extra Axial bearings, slid the stub in, added an Axial hex (plastic for now) and bolted up a set of wheels to see the difference in width and to check for clearance and to see it the Axial stubs interfered w/ the steering. After installing everything looks pretty good to this point and I still have full steering throw.

Left side w/ Axial stub. Right side is stock.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ergZero009.jpg

Duratrax parts next to the Axial parts for reference.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...ergZero008.jpg

I also installed hex head screws just about everywhere I could as I really don't care for the Philips head screws. I made a new drag link that offers much better clearance and durability than the stock piece.

I really can't wait to get this rig up and running! We are planning a 10.5 in wheel base class w/ 1.9s, so this will be my rig for that class.

Well that's it for now, just waiting on parts. I'll update as I go.

TheHeadHunter 08-21-2008 09:37 PM

Waiting "thumbsup"

twisted 08-21-2008 09:40 PM

just a tease ! i cant wait top see what ya come up with.

dezfan 08-21-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted (Post 1313516)
just a tease ! i cant wait top see what ya come up with.

The wheels are turning, just no parts to finish.:ror:

To many rigs, not enough time!:shock:

I have a comp to prepare for, so the next time I work on the Cliff Climber will be the Sunday.

So far, I think it's a cool little rig."thumbsup"

Fobby 08-22-2008 12:35 AM

How are you planning to correct the top link mounts? Good thing you posted about this because I was concerned how the links would mount to a typical aftermarket chassis.

I have a Reign J2TT that's no longer in use, it could be perfect for these axles.

Btw, how does the width with the Axial hexes compare to TLT axles?

cartronicshn 08-22-2008 09:24 AM

Nice job Dez, as usual"thumbsup""thumbsup", i am not sure i want to put so much into mine, i think i will keep it mostly stock for my kid to play with8)

dezfan 08-22-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fobby (Post 1313729)
How are you planning to correct the top link mounts? Good thing you posted about this because I was concerned how the links would mount to a typical aftermarket chassis.

I have a Reign J2TT that's no longer in use, it could be perfect for these axles.

Btw, how does the width with the Axial hexes compare to TLT axles?

I don't want to say just yet in case it doesn't work as I hoped.:ror:

The Axial hexs are similar in width to the TLT hexs if I remember correctly.
Quote:

Originally Posted by cartronicshn (Post 1314000)
Nice job Dez, as usual"thumbsup""thumbsup", i am not sure i want to put so much into mine, i think i will keep it mostly stock for my kid to play with8)

Thanks Carlos, my boy already has a 2.2 comp rig so this one went under the knife. We are planning a 10.5 class here and I want this to be my entry.

Fobby 08-22-2008 01:09 PM

Well atleast there is usually always a way to do anything! I was looking at the build sheet and thinking of ways for the link mounting positions. Guess it would be better to actually have the axles in my hands first =P

I'd also like to see what can you do with the CC.

Stormin2u 08-22-2008 01:24 PM

Your the first ground up build and I look forward to following your progress Dez.

twisted 08-22-2008 07:24 PM

hey dez what link ends are those ? are they axial ? (sorry i dont have an axial so im not sure) what is the thread size ?

dezfan 08-22-2008 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted (Post 1314704)
hey dez what link ends are those ? are they axial ? (sorry i dont have an axial so im not sure) what is the thread size ?

Yeah, they are from an Axial kit. I just pulled them out of my spare parts bin.

braceysdad 08-22-2008 07:30 PM

What kind are those red lo pro tires in the first pic?

dezfan 08-22-2008 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braceysdad (Post 1314709)
What kind are those red lo pro tires in the first pic?

dem mofoz b red line racin tares theyz b fo driftin :ror:

ROCKEDUP RICKY 08-24-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 1314716)
dem mofoz b red line racin tares theyz b fo driftin :ror:

do they come in yellow.

dezfan 08-25-2008 08:10 PM

Well I got to work on my mini Zero for a bit this afternoon. I dug around my spare parts bin and found some links that worked pretty good. W/ these links, the wheel base will be just a touch over 10.5, so I'll shorten them a bit and call it good.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero001.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero002.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero003.jpg

For the upper link, I found an unused Axial servo plate and this 4 link mount that I won in a give a way several months ago(if you know who makes these, please let me know as I need another one for the rear). I bolted them up and for the time being, I Show Gooed it to the top of a mock up servo case. I'll fab up an aluminum mount after I figure out the optimal local. I think it needs to sit about an inch further back from were it is located as this time.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero008.jpg

I also had some MLST shocks in the parts bin, only problem was that they used a snap on ball cups at both ends. To solve that issue I just used the stock CC rod ends on the bottom of the shock shaft and then I cut the tops off and added a Traxxas rod end. Now I have a pivot ball on both ends of the shock, plus I get a threaded aluminum shock, and it's just about the perfect length for a 10.5 in WB rig. They are just about 80mm center to center. I just need to play w/ which weight oil I want to use.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero007.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero002.jpg

I also installed the Axial stub axle, O-ring, and bearings on the other side of the axle to complete both sides of the front axle.

As soon as I get a few other pieces together, I'll complete the rear axle, install it on the Zero, find some electronics, and finish up the fab work for the upper link mounts.

Any recommendations for a good 1.9 comp tire?:ror:

RCMFMaxxMan 08-25-2008 09:12 PM

nice. it is starting to look like something!
Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 1318865)
Any recommendations for a good 1.9 comp tire?:ror:

Well there is a hummer made by tamiya. Have you seen it? I think it's new or something. well, it has some sick tires. They will be the ticket for sure. no doubt in my mind! ;)

eron 08-25-2008 09:43 PM

that looks great!"thumbsup"

twisted 08-25-2008 10:10 PM

dez, looking good. see if you can get ahold of the new losi mini crawler tires and maybe they will work good.if they are anything like their big brothers you should be fine.

dezfan 08-25-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan (Post 1318984)
nice. it is starting to look like something!

Well there is a hummer made by tamiya. Have you seen it? I think it's new or something. well, it has some sick tires. They will be the ticket for sure. no doubt in my mind! ;)

Thanks, I'll look into those Hummer tires.:ror:

Quote:

Originally Posted by eron (Post 1319044)
that looks great!"thumbsup"

Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted (Post 1319086)
dez, looking good. see if you can get ahold of the new losi mini crawler tires and maybe they will work good.if they are anything like their big brothers you should be fine.

Thanks. For some reason, I don't think I'll be running Losi tires.;-) VVVV

k9popo 08-25-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 1319091)

:lol::lol::lol:I was thinking the same thing...Dez it looks great so far8)...

RCMFMaxxMan 08-25-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

1.9 panthers??? :D maybe? just a wild guess. ...or is it...lol

Fobby 08-26-2008 01:03 AM

Looking good so far. Good job for being the first to swap out the chassis. Those bottom links seem a bit flimsy =P. Your solution for the top link mounts looks good. Seems unfortunate that the factory locations could not be used. I wonder how are you going to do the rear if its just going to be 2ws?

dezfan 08-26-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan (Post 1319208)
1.9 panthers??? :D maybe? just a wild guess. ...or is it...lol

Or something like that.8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fobby (Post 1319243)
Looking good so far. Good job for being the first to swap out the chassis. Those bottom links seem a bit flimsy =P. Your solution for the top link mounts looks good. Seems unfortunate that the factory locations could not be used. I wonder how are you going to do the rear if its just going to be 2ws?

Yeah, the lower links will get sleeved or replaced, this is all in mock up at the moment. The upper link mount should work well, 's it located similarly to other MDA designs link mounts. I will use lock out in the rear as our 10.5 class will be 2WS w/ no dig.

twisted 08-26-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

is because your a panther team driver ? or is it a can of worms not worth opening ?? ;)

crawl rookie 08-26-2008 03:03 PM

I think these upper link mounts are the ones Yotachump sells under axials 'billet rear upper link mount', nice units indeed.

This really shows how small the zero really is, getting temting to build a 2.2 motor axled rig again;-)

dezfan 08-26-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted (Post 1319872)
is because your a panther team driver ? or is it a can of worms not worth opening ?? ;)

Because I drive for Panther.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawl rookie (Post 1319916)
I think these upper link mounts are the ones Yotachump sells under axials 'billet rear upper link mount', nice units indeed.

This really shows how small the zero really is, getting temting to build a 2.2 motor axled rig again;-)

Thanks for the info, I won it several months ago and just had it sitting on the work bench. I'll see if I can order another."thumbsup"

twisted 08-26-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 1319980)
Because I drive for Panther.:)

reduce some panthers down

dezfan 09-02-2008 08:29 PM

Well I'm finished mocking up the CCZ for the most part. Still waiting on a set of Axial stub axles so I can narrow the rear up, and I haven't decided what to do for tires just yet. I do have a few ideas, so I'll have to see what I can come up w/. For now the stock CC tires and wheels will work.

Here it is all mocked up.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero009.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero011.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero010.jpg

Wheel base is at 11 inches, so I'll need to shorten up the finished links about a 1/4 inch each to hit my 10 1/2 wheel base target. Other than ordering the Axial stub axles and a Waypoint servo from Holmes Hobbies, I'm still using parts from the parts bin. I made the rear lock out from some left over Axial rod ends.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...berZero012.jpg

So now I'll tear it down and do the final build, mount the remaining electronics, mount a body, and so on.

Hope to have more progress soon."thumbsup"

twisted 09-02-2008 11:03 PM

i like it. think the belly is gonna remain that high ?

coolkidjf7 09-03-2008 12:01 PM

Nice rig, you gonna have droop or leave it that high? Also i think some Holmes mini pullers would fit nice into that8)

dezfan 09-03-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted (Post 1328986)
i like it. think the belly is gonna remain that high ?

It will sit a bit lower when it's finished. Right now it has about 3 1/2 inches of center chassis clearance. When it's finished it will be around 3 inches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolkidjf7 (Post 1329498)
Nice rig, you gonna have droop or leave it that high? Also i think some Holmes mini pullers would fit nice into that8)

It sits at the same height as the stock CC? The mini pullers are in the future, waiting to upgrade to the metal gears first. No sense installing the pullers and then killing the stock gears.

coolkidjf7 09-03-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 1329524)
It will sit a bit lower when it's finished. Right now it has about 3 1/2 inches of center chassis clearance. When it's finished it will be around 3 inches.

It sits at the same height as the stock CC? The mini pullers are in the future, waiting to upgrade to the metal gears first. No sense installing the pullers and then killing the stock gears.

Huh, it must just look high then8) Smart idea on them gears, puller + plastic = fail

4xFord 09-03-2008 07:56 PM

Can you connect the lower links to the shock mount on the axle? To level them, and move them above the axle, like on a clod? Seems like you could gain a great deal of clearance that way.

dezfan 09-03-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xFord (Post 1330095)
Can you connect the lower links to the shock mount on the axle? To level them, and move them above the axle, like on a clod? Seems like you could gain a great deal of clearance that way.

That's a good idea. I can use the stock upper link location to mount the lower link to.

Why didn't I think of that!:ror:

Thanks!"thumbsup"

RCMFMaxxMan 09-03-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dezfan (Post 1330264)
That's a good idea. I can use the stock upper link location to mount the lower link to.

Why didn't I think of that!:ror:

Thanks!"thumbsup"

doh! :-o right now it looks like an old school clod with the links like that. Like a gecko or something :lol:z It is looking very much improved though. Does panther have plans for 1.9's? or do you not know? or are you just not allowed to talk about it? haha. I know there is going to be some itching for some comp worthy 1.9's with the release of this and the losi mini crawler.

p.s. I don't see the big fuss about the height of the chassis. Its not like it has a tranny and motor on it! With the lower links leveled out a bit (hc or move the axle end of the links up) it should be looking fine.

dezfan 09-03-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan (Post 1330315)
doh! :-o right now it looks like an old school clod with the links like that. Like a gecko or something :lol:z It is looking very much improved though. Does panther have plans for 1.9's? or do you not know? or are you just not allowed to talk about it? haha. I know there is going to be some itching for some comp worthy 1.9's with the release of this and the losi mini crawler.

p.s. I don't see the big fuss about the height of the chassis. Its not like it has a tranny and motor on it! With the lower links leveled out a bit (hc or move the axle end of the links up) it should be looking fine.

It's basically a mini Clod now.:ror:

I'm playing w/ some Panther tires for it, can't say whether or not Panther will be releasing anything in the 1.9 size range, although I agree that there will be an increased demand for comp quality 1.9s w/ the release of the Losi mini Crawler.

I think it looks taller than most people are used to seeing after looking at the 2.2 shafties.

twisted 09-03-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xFord (Post 1330095)

wouldn't that cause a place to get hung up on the rear axle ? for example, with the lower links running down to the bottom of the axles what ever the links are sliding across the axles are in line so they kind of hop over the obstacle also. if the links were up higher and not in line with the bottom links i would think that would create a notch for the axle to get hung up on ??

idk...i should prolly stop thinking.

dezfan 09-03-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted (Post 1330354)
wouldn't that cause a place to get hung up on the rear axle ? for example, with the lower links running down to the bottom of the axles what ever the links are sliding across the axles are in line so they kind of hop over the obstacle also. if the links were up higher and not in line with the bottom links i would think that would create a notch for the axle to get hung up on ??

It might, until I get it all set up it's hard to say.

The beauty of being the first to try it.:ror:

4xFord 09-03-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twisted (Post 1330354)

The tires should help fill that notch. It has worked great like that on clods for years. But, in your defence, the tires Dez may run may be so small that your point could become an issue. Your same argument could be used against high clearance bent links, yet they have seen great success also. I guess as always, it is give and take.

dezfan 09-03-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4xFord (Post 1330381)
The tires should help fill that notch. It has worked great like that on clods for years. But, in your defence, the tires Dez may run may be so small that your point could become an issue. Your same argument could be used against high clearance bent links, yet they have seen great success also. I guess as always, it is give and take.

That's my thinking as well. The tires I'm looking to use are in the 4 1/2 inch range, so they should be ok.

I think it will work fine. If it doesn't, then more changes! That's the fun part.

RTR.......Pffft, I prefer this kind of a build!