Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: so what ay think so far ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default so what ay think so far ?

so the cc has been out for a bit now and i was wondering what every one who has them thought of there's so far ? iam very impressed with mine.its mostly stock with the addition of o rings in the stub axles ,the rear steering locked out and body lowered.

the stock tires grip pretty well. i do want to put some weight up front.i did get it in a bind and heard some snapping but i think it was the dog bones slipping in the cups (they got chewed up a bit before i did the oring mod). one down fall i see is when going over a sharp ledge the rear motor and or gearbox hits and causes the truck to get hung up.this has happened on more then one occasion. might be just my crappy driving but im not sure.

the clod stall isn't terrible but its there.sometimes it helps.

all in all i give it a 7 out of 10.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

out of the box I thought it was junk.... then we figured out/found out about the o-ring fix and that changed my opinion drastically. For its size it is remarkably capable. On mine the clod stall has been horrible but, Im still running stock electrics and pinions. I did manage to rip off 1 of the rear servo plate mounts that I was using for my lockouts (backflips in a tube will do that)... Im sure they would replace it under warrenty but I dont see the point, just have to figure out a better lockout.

I agree with the 7 out of 10

Now DTX needs to come out with a larger version with 540 motors, lower axle gearing and maybe a stick inspired chassis .
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm very interested in this thread. I have a mini quake and I won't part with it b/c it has been the most reliable rc car I've ever had. I beat it on a regular basis and it just keeps going. I like dtx products and there support of extra parts. I have an ax10 but my brother is interested in getting into rc crawling and one of my recommendations was the cc. But clod stalls are a turn off.
mulepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
out of the box I thought it was junk.... then we figured out/found out about the o-ring fix and that changed my opinion drastically. For its size it is remarkably capable. On mine the clod stall has been horrible but, Im still running stock electrics and pinions. I did manage to rip off 1 of the rear servo plate mounts that I was using for my lockouts (backflips in a tube will do that)... Im sure they would replace it under warrenty but I dont see the point, just have to figure out a better lockout.

I agree with the 7 out of 10

Now DTX needs to come out with a larger version with 540 motors, lower axle gearing and maybe a stick inspired chassis .
i was gonna take off the rear servo mounting plate and mount my lock out directly on one of the post but i thought this would happen.so what i did was leave the servo plate on and mount the lock out to the one servo post that is molded onto the plate.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I haven't run mine yet, but from watching Johnrob's CC and the videos I have seen, the CC has great potential!

After I complete my 10.5 CC build and compete w/ it locally, I'm going to give it a go as a 2.2. W/ the upgraded metal gears and and drives as well as some Holmes Hobbies Mini Pullers, these axles are going to get a beating!

Then we will see just how tough they are.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Any updates on the CC? How are they performing? I currently have a fairly capable ax10 but I would like to try an MOA crawler. The CC seems like a pretty easy way to get one. I love duratrax durability but I can't figure out why they are not more popular. So tell me, w/ minimal effort i.e lower the batter, use lipo, remove the rear steering, upgrade to metal gears, can this thing use its MOA advantage to hang w/ an ax10? Does anyone have both that can give an experienced comparison?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

i have a wk an a cc an i have do very lil to my cc. wheel base is still stock an it will go most places that my wk that it 11.5 wheelbase will go. i think it is under powered but i have found a motor that i am tring to find out what it is for sure that works very well wish i had 2 of them . its out of a new brite truck . it was a semi tractor an i need to try an run the numbers on the can . all an all ill give it a 7 out of 10
randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
RCC Addict

What batteries is everyone running with their CC?
I am running an old 6cell 2/3A pack that only charges to 1100mah (might be the problem) through an LRP AI Runner Reverse. With stock motors and 11T pinions I felt like it didn't have enough power or torque to get over anything with the slightest undercut to the vertical edge. In those instances it seemed I could almost stall both axles.
I volted up to 7 cells, but did not see a lot of difference.

Now I have Promax Neodym 45T 370s running through Greatplanes 2.5:1 gearboxes. Now with 6 cells it feels more like I thought it would. Enough to chew the stock nylon idler gear in the front.

Wish the tires were not glued on so much. Cannot bust them loose to star cut the foams or add internal weight.
I drilled larger breather holes in the rims and added 3oz of wieght to each front, which helped some.
Tires are sticky enough and grip carpet and couch cushions well enough.
Dumped the funny 12mm hex widners for stock TLT hexs. Just seemed like a 1:14 scale should not be that wide(?).

Whole drivetrane is pretty easy to get into to fix anything. Not sure why some screws in the axles are 3mm, some 3mm with nuts, and yet others are #6 screws. Pretty easy to strip out the 3mm pivot screws running into the axle carriers.
The 3mm E-clips on the spur gear shaft are fun to loose.

Was cheap and easy to install Fr and Rr DIG on.

Sorry, I lean a bit on the lower side, at 5 out of 10.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys, I'm interested in hearing more. Does anyone know what angle it can climb, again w/ relocated battery etc? My axial is at 60 degrees but supposedly I can do things to get it to 65 or 70, we'll see.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

well i dont no the angle but i take a 4 foot sheet of plywood an set it on my dryer with the bottom out 27 in. an it will climb it.
its work for it but it will make it up it
Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

60 degress. Is that what everyone else gets ACos (48/27)? Randy1, it definitely sounds under powered; it shouldn't be any work to climb up something like that. Is anyone else having this under powered issue? Any other incline tests people have done. 60 degrees is respectable but I would have expected more from MOA. Randy1, where is your battery placed?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

my prob is spinning the front wheels . i have weighted front tires with 2 oz on each wheel an 7 cell batt on servo . i have cut the tires cause we cant get them off the rims to cut the foam so i cut some of the tread out to make it more agresive it helped a lil. mine was a artr so i run it on 7 cells not on 12 like the rtr. everone says its a lil under powered not just me. u can see what all i have done in randy1 cc
Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepic View Post
60 degress. Is that what everyone else gets ACos (48/27)? Randy1, it definitely sounds under powered; it shouldn't be any work to climb up something like that. Is anyone else having this under powered issue? Any other incline tests people have done. 60 degrees is respectable but I would have expected more from MOA. Randy1, where is your battery placed?
I do feel on 6-7 cells it is underpowered.

Keep in mind that a board 27" from a 36" tall drier is 53deg incline angle.

So not to bad. Mine will still not do that because of no traction on a semi smooth piece of plywood. (just tried).
Have the rims, cannot decide on lower profile, 2.2, narrow, cheap tire to put on it.

Last edited by sweli; 10-24-2008 at 04:56 PM.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

mine was that chip board . i dont no what tire to run i have a buddy that has a set of mobs that he has mad 1.9 an he said he would give them to me so i was going to try them
Old 10-31-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

i have had mine for a week i use to have a old helix. this was way more capible. i got a artr out of the box i would give it a 5 out of 10. but now i havnt spent any money on it just stuff i already had and now i would give it an 8 out of 10. rear motor still stalls more than i would like. i am running a LRP AI esc wth 8cells. 4 on the front axel 2 in the middle and 2 on the rear axel. wieghted rear tires, and star cut foams (i just put mine in the dishwasher 2wice and they were off). i have also swaped my steering hubs left and right for a little more gc. i also lockd the rear steering that med the biggst power differnce. this thing is a lot of fun it has even convinced my friend to get one and hes into 1/8 nitro racing. so he thought they wer lame till he drove it.
gigercreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

i wonder if a gear reduction will work, i have 2, 2 to 1 in line gear reductions for a 280 motors and 2- 280 trinity cobalt motors i was going to use in my mini quake . i wonder if that would be better i guess i will need to get one now since a main has them for 100.00 bucks
jombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

thats not a good motor for this