Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Nluv's Cliff Climber Build & Tech

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
Im Brandon

Default Nluv's Cliff Climber Build & Tech

Decided to pick up a Cliff Climber after nationals this year and I finally found the time to sit down and tear into it today. While it was waiting I went ahead and made sure I had some parts ready for its rebuild

Upgrades as of today:
Metal Idler Gear: DTXC8089
Steel Output: DTXC8241
Metal Counter Gear: DTXC7211
Bent Suspension Links: DTXC9489

Axial Axle: AX30366
Axial 12mm black hubs: AX30429

My goal for this build it to strengthen the running gear and build a comp style rig that will be perfect for getting out and just having fun crawling. I'm starting to fall in love with MOA rigs once I built my Berg 2.2, so why not turn this into a 1.9

I also noticed that Duratrax already has a wide range of hop-ups available for the CC, and I will be using as many of the factory hop-ups as I can that I see suited for my goal. It will be interesting to see what a Cliff Climber can really do!

Next mods will include:
Aluminum oil filled shocks
Duratrax Aluminum knuckles
Duratrax Aluminum upper shock mounts. (I LOVE this design!)
Possibly some HH 454 pullers

Started by replacing the stock components with the parts listed above. Nothing complicated but there are a few things to keep an eye on.

Axial Axles shafts were a direct replacement along with the 12mm hexes. Next upgrade will be bearings for the knuckles. Everything rolls really smoothly as is, but I am a freak when it comes to binding and friction in the drive train so for me bearings are a must

When installing the steel outputs the screw is able to pass all the way through the output and possibly out the other side. Be sure to add some locktite to this because I can see it easily backing out over time and tearing up the inside of the axle case.

Another thing to watch out for is the depth of the slot of the axle shafts. Once the axials are installed the dogbones need to be shortened due to the change in depth of the axial axle shafts compared to the duratrax versions. They will work as is, however you will run into some binding and "stiffness" in the drivetrain. All that needs to be done is grind a flat spot on the end of the dogbone that will be installed on the steel output side. This lets it seat further into the diff gear and outputs allowing for some room at the Axial axle shafts.

Metal gears installed

Comparison between the stock axle shafts and the axials installed.

As I was assembling the knuckles I noticed a height difference in the top and bottom of the knuckles. My ARTR kit was assembled with the longer side of the knuckles down. This actually reduces clearance at the diff. Because of the dogbone style axle shafts I was able to flip the knuckles and increase the clearance under the axles without any problems!!

ARTR knuckle location:

Ready for the rebuild now

Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #2
Oppan Gangnam Style

Ooohh!!!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nice man!!
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #4

Did the aluminum bent links come with rod ends, or did you buy those separately? If so, what kind?
titan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Those axles are so bulky and square looking the realism factor is low IMO. I guess it's just hard for me to be a Cliff Climber fan because of it.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Ooohh!!!
Ahhh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan20 View Post
Did the aluminum bent links come with rod ends, or did you buy those separately? If so, what kind?
Nope, I bought the duratrax rod ends. Part# DTCX6210.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Those axles are so bulky and square looking the realism factor is low IMO. I guess it's just hard for me to be a Cliff Climber fan because of it.
Its hard to be realistic when the motor is on the axle I actually felt the same way until I started looking closely at these axles. There is quite a bit of clearance, adjust ability, and the included servo mount is really nice. When I mess with them more I am sure I will find some more things to modify.

Wait until you see it when the custom chassis and the body slammed, its a whole new rig

Ended up going with 1.9 moabs.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing View Post
Its hard to be realistic when the motor is on the axle I actually felt the same way until I started looking closely at these axles. There is quite a bit of clearance, adjust ability, and the included servo mount is really nice. When I mess with them more I am sure I will find some more things to modify.

Wait until you see it when the custom chassis and the body slammed, its a whole new rig

Ended up going with 1.9 moabs.
I know Nluv I'm a big fan of your work you'll take this to the drool level I'm sure. I'll be watching for more photos thanks.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
20K Club

The build is looking good B.

It really is too bad that they felt these needed to be outlawed in 1.9 class because of stall being called dig
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post

It really is too bad that they felt these needed to be outlawed in 1.9 class because of stall being called dig
Totally agree with you Harley.
Nluv, building is looking great btw, i put 2 454's on mine and it's insane on 8 cells 2/3 batts, it wheelies like mad, they also destroy stock gear like mad, good thing about the aluminum parts being available.

Last edited by cartronicshn; 10-16-2008 at 11:23 AM.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

That was only one of MANY reasons. How many other MOA axles are allowed in 1.9?
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
Im Brandon

Here are a few pics of my CC as a roller. Started working on the skid plate but havent taken any pics yet.

Decided to use an extra chassis that was made by FubarCrawlers from my design for my Berg comp rig. How about that! Perfect fit for my CC

Rear axle clocked up by adjusting the upper link positions at the chassis.

Flex shot. But more importantly look at the front axle. When I received the ARTR the knuckles were not parallel to the ground, they were close but every degree that its off you loose a lot of steering performance. I made sure to adjust the upper links at the chassis to get the axles and knuckles parallel to the ground for the best steering possible.

Quick shot with the body, it will get some trimming but looks like it wont take much.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
I know Nluv I'm a big fan of your work you'll take this to the drool level I'm sure. I'll be watching for more photos thanks.
Thanks Norm! Just didnt want others to have a bad opinion about the CC until they had one in their hands

Quote:

Thanks Josh. I agree, I wish they fit the specs. O well, now I can run the 10" wheelbase I built it with and see what this thing can do

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Totally agree with you Harley.
Nluv, building is looking great btw, i put 2 454's on mine and it's insane on 8 cells 2/3 batts, it wheelies like mad, they also destroy stock gear like mad, good thing about the aluminum parts being available.
Sounds like fun, 454's it is. Going to try out the stock motors first though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
That was only one of MANY reasons. How many other MOA axles are allowed in 1.9?
It just sucks that the Duratrax was put in a corner all by itself. I will always stand behind USRCCA and their decisions, and if thats the way the rules had to be then I understand.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Like usual you are doing an awesome job. I can't wait for more updates.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Pullman Crawler

looks good. don't car for the axles but i really like that chassis.
A_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
RCC Addict

With all the beefing up with metal gears and Axial cups, are the bones on this up for the challenge?
Have not had my axles totally down yet, but need to in next few days to get metal gears in the front at least.

How are you shortening the driveshafts? Tube over and braze?
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #16

Damn - that looks great! Excellent work.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Cool... I just picked one of these up brand new never ran for a used micro-t from a buddy of mine!! I got it for my kid for christmas but..... it may get some usage out of me too Great build to referance thanks... Once again, great work
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

awsome build man cant wait to really see it.
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #19
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg53 View Post
Like usual you are doing an awesome job. I can't wait for more updates.
J
Thanks J! Its running, just need to get the body mounted and painted. The quality of electronics that I had aren't the best so that is hurting its performance right now. Other than that it feels really well balanced and the stock shocks work really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanlima View Post
looks good. don't car for the axles but i really like that chassis.
Thanks Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
With all the beefing up with metal gears and Axial cups, are the bones on this up for the challenge?
Have not had my axles totally down yet, but need to in next few days to get metal gears in the front at least.

How are you shortening the driveshafts? Tube over and braze?
They should be! All I did was take the end that is going into the axle and grind some material off to let is seat further into the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Damn - that looks great! Excellent work.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupoCabre View Post
Cool... I just picked one of these up brand new never ran for a used micro-t from a buddy of mine!! I got it for my kid for christmas but..... it may get some usage out of me too Great build to referance thanks... Once again, great work
One lucky kid! Thank you
Old 10-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

he's a 5 yro!!! He love's the rocks!!! Startin him young!
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote