Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: randy1 cc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default randy1 cc

ok guy just like all of you i had a bad cod stall rite off. i was running 6 cells with a 10th scale speedo. wired it up + to+ -to- god was it bad. i didnt have a 12 pinion to put on the front , mine came with 11 in it so i got to thinking just how i could hep duratrax out once again. they had a problem with the detta an i told them how tofix the prob not rig it like they was telling people. what i did was turn the timing up on the front motor an it seems to have taken about 75 percent og it out . i have no wieghts in the wheels an the batt . is where it belongs so may be if i did that i could get more out of it. wish i had vidio . i took a 4 foot piece of plywood an set it up on the dryer with the bottom out 27 in . this lil truck climbs up it with the front tires just spening like mad an the rears up keep digging so i think it will work ok

hope this will help you all out
randy1
randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Hi Randy,

I replied to your motor thread with some of what I've done. My entire thread is the BMV CC one.
The hotter motors I installed vertually eliminated the clod stall, even while using the LRP 18th scale ESC.

My stock would climb angles if it could hook up. But even couch cushions gave it problems if one wheel got in the slightest pinch.

Not sure what the final ratio really is. I counted revs, and with the 11T pinions mine has, looks to be around 28:1.
The secondary gearboxed I added made that 64:1

I wouldn't mind not having to buy new rims and tires, but these things are impossible to free up.
I tried a heat gun and hot water (separately of course LOL).
I think if I trimmed some lugs and used some softener and star cut the foams, these things could hook up better.
I have 3oz of stick on weight around the rim ID in the front. 2/3A, 6cell saddle pack rides outboard on the rear axle. I would like to go with BBs on these, but the #$%@$%!%! tires won't come off.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

how much was the reduction
Old 10-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Various gearbox add-ons

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1 View Post
how much was the reduction
Not sure, so I'll answer it both ways.

2.4:1 ratio, $11 (LHS ordered it for me)

Tower links: (1.7, 2.4, 3:1)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWK44
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJFD2
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAGC8&P=6
It looks in the pics as though the alum frame is the same on them all. So if you try one ratio and it's too far in one direction, you can always swap the spur and pinion out for one of the other ratios. Spurs on shaft are $2.39, pinions $1.39.

This one already has a 3mm output shaft, but I was worried about the holes around it falling in the place I needed to drill and tap 3mm.
There might be room for a nut between the inside sidewall and the spur, but it's tight.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNXX4&P=6

Last edited by sweli; 10-19-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

ok here is a few pics of what all i have done
body slammed made links put in a servo cut an weighted tires locked rear steringan put in some newbrite motors im still trying to find out what they are . they are a 380 motoe i just dont no what yet

the silver moter is the newbrite
Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Great Start!
Nice links!
How is the COG now?
Side - hillin better?
New Bright 1/8 motors?? Did they bolt right up? Faster, more torque?

I couldn't decide to cut these tires or shelf them for better. I have some beadlocks I want to narrow up.
I might look around for some cheap badlands to narrow. I have a spare set of Rubicons, but they are too large OD.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

thanks
the cog is better with i had 2 of them motors . they were out of this simi tractor thing from walmart i think. i couldnt get my tirs off nether im going to put 1.9 mobs on mine but cutting them seemed to help . the motor bolted rite in an seems to be both faster an more torque ill try an find out more on it this week
Old 10-27-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

ok have been playing a lil bit more wih the clod syall an this is what ive done . i ran 12 gage wire from the speedo to the rear motor first an ran the lil wire that comes on a mini battery dont no what gage wire it is but is small wire an i ran it to the front motor an i run 7 cells an its really has helped on the stall. ive been talking to a buddy an this is a voltage problem that is causeing this problem . i am going to try to use sub c an run 4 or 5 cells to see if this helps
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Very curious what you find out on the stall.

The Neodym 370 45T motors I installed have seemed to enhance the clod stall. Sometimes the rear motor won't even start up. I have read these motors have a little prob with this though.
I am thinking of trying dual ESC's.

Wouldn't SubC cells simply increase the Amps, not the volts?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

they have a better discharge rate 30 amps u will never get that out of a lil batt. try the wire thig as well it has really heped mine. go from esc to back motor with like 18 or 12 gage wire an use like the really small wire that comes on your lil batter i dont no what size it is the small stuff to the front motor an see if that helps you as well