Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Is this a crawler motor for the C.C. ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
Just got the RS-380PH's in the mail, soldered 'em on, and with 2.2 flat irons, speed is perfect!!! Torque is way better, but it will still stall a little. I'm gonna play with the axle angle and wheelbase to see if that might help with the stall. These motors may not be perfect, but they seem to be a step in the right direction, and may turn out to work well on the rocks.

If you extend the wheelbase it makes a big difference. I extended mine and am still running the stock motors and the stall is not near as bad.
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
Just got the RS-380PH's in the mail, soldered 'em on, and with 2.2 flat irons, speed is perfect!!! Torque is way better, but it will still stall a little. I'm gonna play with the axle angle and wheelbase to see if that might help with the stall. These motors may not be perfect, but they seem to be a step in the right direction, and may turn out to work well on the rocks.
If these do not have adjustable timing (John H mentioned), then the timing may be set advanced.
When mounted on these axles, one motor reversed, one axle will spin faster, and one will have more torque.
I wonder with one out of the axle, can you tell if it spins in one direction faster then the other? Direct connect 6cells to it, then reverse the wires.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

According to mabuchi's website, there is only 3 degrees of timing on the RS-380PH motors, so any difference in speed or torque should be negligible. They have a nice simulator for all their motors where you can adjust the voltage and get performance graphs for efficiency, current, speed, and a chart showing power and torque. Also, I found that one of my pinions is spinning on the shaft and so that is hurting torque a lot. Both pinions cracked at the setscrew from all the tightening on different motors, so I soldered them on the shafts, and only one held up.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

How about a speed 480? Hobby lobby carries normal and reverse rotation versions, and with a slightly longer can it should have more torque. I measured my CC and it looks like a speed 480 will just barely clear the links, I might have to shim the links with a couple washers, but nothing major. I don't think the rs-380ph's are going to work for me. The speed is perfect, very controllable, but just not enough torque. I will definitely be using them in my daughter's CC, though. It will be slow enough for her, and I don't think she will be competitively crawling at 4 years old. I also found some robot motors http://banebots.com/p/M5-RS390-12 -high torque, low cost, stock voltage, will barely fit, and I ordered a couple to try out. I am going to figure this motor thing out.......someday.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Interesting webpage to search Mabuchi motors:
http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/en_US...ct/p_0303.html

Found this RS385 motor:
http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-b...AT_ID=rs_385ph
By the calcs, it is 358KV. 2.3mm shaft.
Not sure what to compare 74mN.m stall torque to?

A Mabuchi RS-540SH (silver can 27T 540?) has a stall torque of 216 mN.m for comparison.

Anyone know of this Johnson 380:
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G13775

Last edited by sweli; 03-24-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

That is the website I have been using to search the mabuchi motors. The RS-385PH is rated at 73 mN-m torque @23.5V. At 14.4V, the chart shows 45.1 mN-m. I think looking among the robot motors may yield better results. The RS-380PH was the best mabuchi had to offer (by the specs), and was a little bit of a let down. I have gone through nearly all of the 380 sized motors mabuchi lists, and played with the adjustable graphs to see what you get at 14.4 volts. The perfect motor is out there..........
Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Found the Johnson DC motor page. It is their current motors only, but helpful.

http://www.johnsonmotor.com/mediando...h=PMDC&lang=en

The 27mm OD, HC385G series motors look interesting.
Not sure what is meant by constant torque value.
Wonder what their timing is.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #48
RCC Addict

This should really bake your noodle.

https://www.cermark.com/products/Cob...13-turns).html
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Found the Johnson DC motor page. It is their current motors only, but helpful.

http://www.johnsonmotor.com/mediando...h=PMDC&lang=en

The 27mm OD, HC385G series motors look interesting.
Not sure what is meant by constant torque value.
Wonder what their timing is.

The torque constant is given in mN-m per Amp, so you multiply the current going through the motor by the torque constant and you get the torque that the motor is producing at that specific current. I went through their motors as well, and some of them do look good. The timing is given in the drawing on the left. A lot of them have 0 timing, but the ones I looked at that had high torque numbers either were rated for 24V or had 16 degrees of timing or more.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #50
Rock Stacker

I just unwound one of the rs-380ph's I got and its 336 (+/-5) turns of 0.13mm wire. I thought that thing was never going to stop.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #51
~THE SCALE SHOP~

no one has tried a 400 long can yet?

long cans always = more torque.
http://www.bargainhangar.com/product_2562_detailed.htm

also LOTs of motors with great specs here
http://www.fullymotor.com/e/default_home.asp

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 03-25-2009 at 10:08 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
no one has tried a 400 long can yet?
I ordered them, they just haven't arrived yet. I am also thinking about rewinding the rs-380ph with 32 or 30 awg wire.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:

http://www.fullymotor.com/e/default_home.asp
Nice lineup of motors.
Look in the 385PM catalog at the FRS-385PM-2543N.
1590rpm at 12v = 132kv, 662g.cm = 65mN.m
Not bad specs at all.

Now where do you buy one to try? All the contacts are for companies to buy large qty's of them.
Did some googling, but can only find links to factories or manufs.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #54
Rock Stacker

http://www.fullymotor.com/e/default_home.asp[/quote]

Like the FRS-380SP-4045. Similar in part number to the RS-380PH, but with a much higher torque constant. Good find, now how do we order them? On another note, I don't think I got the mabuchi motors I thought I did. They were advertised as RS-380PH-4045, but with unwinding them, it appears that they are really RS-380PH-13336's. The mabuchi motors may still work great, if I can find the right one, but those fully motors have more torque.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 PM   #55
~THE SCALE SHOP~

im more interested in a 7.2v motor, so we can run a normal brushed esc. ie rooster crawler. but could be hard to make the neccesary power with that small of motor and voltage
Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #56
Rock Stacker

I just rewound one of my rs-380's motors with 90 turns of 30 awg, and it's a little fast, but it will eat the gears before it stalls. I only tried it with one motor, so I am going to rewind another and try it out on the rocks. By the way, once you remove the end of one of the rs-380's, you can set the timing wherever you want. Just crimp it where you want it. I imagine it would be much simpler to spend the $4.99 at radio shack for the magnet wire and rewind the stockers, though.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #57
~THE SCALE SHOP~

what voltage you run them at?
if i sent you some stockers, could you wind me a a torqy motor for 7.2V with less wheel speed than stock? and more or equal torque to the stock 5000 on 14.4?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #58
Rock Stacker

14.4V. During my motor research, I found that the stall torque is dependent on the armature wire size, and the torque constant is determined by the #turns and armature wire size. More turns doesn't mean more torque if the armature wire is too small. The motor will be more efficient and will produce more torque for a given current, but it will stall at a lower torque. I just finished winding my other motor, and will be testing it within the hour. I am looking for a motor that is a drop in replacement for the RTR, so I am experimenting with the higher voltage motors. I suppose I could try making some motors to work with 7.2V, then I could use an ESC with a drag brake and lipo cut, too. I wonder how this rewound motor would do with a Tekin FX-R? It will handle 3s lipo and has a drag brake. Hmmmm.........
Old 03-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #59
Rock Stacker

Clod stall is not a problem for me anymore. Those motors work GRRRREAT!!! My only complaint is that they are even faster than the crappy stock motors, but they only stalled a couple times on my rock pile, and it is difficult for minis. That was when I got one of the tires wedged (2.2 flat irons in M3-they're very sticky). My scorpion would have broken an driveshaft with a tire wedged like that. I wound them conservatively, so if I take my time and fill them up, I might be able to get over 100 turns on those armatures. I will see how my cc does on the rocks this weekend at the crawling spot. Maybe I can show up some scorpions! Hey, I can hope, right?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #60
Rock Stacker

Quote:
what voltage you run them at?
if i sent you some stockers, could you wind me a a torqy motor for 7.2V with less wheel speed than stock? and more or equal torque to the stock 5000 on 14.4?
I would have to start over trying different wire sizes and #turns to get it right for 7.2V. If you send them with a few rolls of magnet wire for my trouble, sure. Either 26,27, or 28 gauge should work for 7.2V, but I think you should try this first: http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G16473 it would be very close to what I would try anyway. here's the specs: http://www.mabuchi-motor.co.jp/cgi-b...AT_ID=rs_380ph
I didn't consider this motor because it would be WAY too fast at 14.4V, but at 8.2V (realistic fully charged 6 cell pack) it makes over 1000 gm-cm of torque before it stalls. Don't worry about the -PH or -SH at the end of the motor designation, it's only for anisotropic or segmented magnets.

Last edited by spartacus_nuc; 03-26-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: more info