Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: OMG ! A scale Cliff Climber ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default OMG ! A scale Cliff Climber ?

Guten Abend !

I got this CCX Chassis from The-Scale-Shop today. Thanks Cory, itīs awesome and very well thought !

I ordered it raw, to get some black paint onto it later.

Then started converting a LRP Rockcrawler* (Cliff Climber) to a 2,2" comp-crawler:

Looking kind of odd, doesnt it ?

Then I shortened the axles with some axial parts and put some real wheels onto it:

Checked the wheelbase, everything was fine. Thanks Cory again, this chassis is a real easy conversion, everything works and went together perfect. All this was done in one hour !

Time for real:

The Rat Betty fitted like a glove above this rig. Wheelbase is spot on! Great surprise, no more work at the links needed !

I forgot to take a picture from the front, but here it is while in progress:

I will ad lots of details on the body, I think some explosive boxes or something like this.
All this is a very quick, cheap, fun scaler, I built for my daughter, so that she can go with her dad and his PSC-tuber.

@Mods: I hope itīs OK to post it here, even when itīs not in the rules of scale: It has MOA and no frame-rails. But I like it and I think its looking real good ! What do you guys think ? Can this be scale ?

Pete

* The Duratrax Cliff Climber is sold in germany as the LRP Rockcrawler.
greasypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

You might not get much response from the "scale-purists" but I think it looks AWSOME!

That body with the wheels/tires looks great.

IMO, "scale" is mainly having a fairly proportional looking rig as far as wheels/tires & the body. Whether or not you have little plastic driveshafts under there or not is purely subjective.

The Jeep in my avatar was a clod-based rig...

Peace, Jon
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

chassis wise its not so scale but i will admitt it does look great from a distance. hey most of the times the simple rigs are the funnest to drive.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
~THE SCALE SHOP~

looking forward to seeing where you go with this.
nice start pete
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Looks good, even if it isn't a shafty. Just pulling your chain. I'll be watching.

Justin
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypete View Post
@Mods: I hope itīs OK to post it here, even when itīs not in the rules of scale: It has MOA and no frame-rails. But I like it and I think its looking real good ! What do you guys think ? Can this be scale ?

Pete
Pete,
I did move your thread out of the scale section. Reason being is because the chassis and axles are not with in the scale guidelines...and these 2 factors are a huge part in making a vehicle scale. while the truck is "scale looking" I would not consider it a scaler. I hope you aren't upset, and while this may just be my opinion, this is how I have run the scale section of RCC for some time now. I have moved other very "scale looking" rigs such as JIA Poison Spyder nylint and Run2Jeepins torsional 2.2 clod rig. Both of which had a scale look to them but lacked a scale ladder frame or tube frame and axles which used drive shafts. Typically, when I mod the forum I try to use Jason's if you have to look twice to tell its not real guideline but on a rig like this I just cant see it fitting into the scale section because of the frame and axles. Scale has come a long way from what it was just a few years back. Guys are scratch building entire bodies, interiors are in just about everyones scaler along with drop beds and transfer cases and so on... I feel these people are really trying to achieve the ultimate scale RC and I dont want the scale section to turn into members dropping a scale looking body on there comp TVP chassis with berg axles and calling it "scale" because the wheels are within the wheel wells. I think RCC and its members produce some of the higheset level of scale vehicles on the internet and I want to make sure that it stays that way.

I hope you understand where I am coming from on this, and I hope there is no hard feelings.

In closing, your rig does look great, if its anything like your past builds you will have a real winner

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Hi Mike, thanks for the explanatios. No problem for me here. This wount be my last rig

Pete
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Pete,
Nice looking truck, love the paint, cant wait to see what you come up with next.

Jeff
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #9

That looks awesome, but sorry it's not a scaler in any way, shape or form!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

das sexy. I like the betty body. The wheel width is perfect as well.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Looks great! From the outside it is scale. I wonder why you chose this chassis for a scaler when there are plenty of others out there?

Your rig looks far more scale compared to a few from the 1.9 forum. It has a nice stance. Just switch your chassis out.

If you rig gets kicked out then there are much more that should stay out too. And when you look at the 2.2 scale forum, there should'nt even be a forum for them.

Last edited by Fobby; 03-05-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Fobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Thanks,

Mike is absolute right. I dont care where this rig is placed. Itīs like I said, just a fun-scaler, for my daughter. I have built enough crawlers that went into the scale section, and a new tuber is still waiting on the workbench.

Why I choose the cliffclimber ? I had this fron a magazine test (in germany) left over, so I decided to make something different out if it. Also, I dont want this to be be expensive. I tried first with the TCS delrin chassis, but the chassis was hitting the servo and the motors when articulated. I found no way to get it working. Coryīs chassis is a perfect chassis if you want a quick conversion thet really works !

Enough said, I am sick in bed and the only thing I was able to do, is getting the body mounted and do some outside flex shots. The body is as low as possible and just not touching the wheels. Hope you like it:
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2009, 04:41 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I forgot to upload one file:
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2009, 06:43 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Very cool.
bigdodge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

So, lately I feel a bit better and was able to put the electronics in. This was also very easy, I used all he stock hardware and mounting things. Yust need to drill two holes , thats all.

I decided to put the batteries onto the skidplate in the middle, because they sit there much lower as on top of the servo. In the middle position this rig will be very well balanced and have a low COG, much better than the stock one !

I used to pieces of foam to keep the batteries in the middle and to prevent sliding fom left to right.
The batteries even sit in the most forward position. Also, I was getting rid of the rear servo and switched to 2WS.

So I am technical finished, the rest will be artwork :-P
Attached Images

Last edited by greasypete; 03-05-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I think that looks real good. Like the chassis? What is that an Axial Betty shell?
Did a great job!
Jeephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Made a snorkel and some working headlights. Always recycling parts that I have left ...

I still have no plan what to do with the bed ? Should I make a wooden railing and put some boxes on ?

Pete
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

That is a great lookin' C.C.! Kinda makes me want to make a
"scale-ish" C.C.-$120 bux for RTR now-well worth it I say.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Now with a new grille:

Old 03-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Pete you did it!!! You changed my opinion on the climber.. Looks killer, I cant wait to see a video. Their will be a video right???
Also cant wait to see what you come up with for the bed. I was thinking it would be cool to mount some non functional drive shafts under it??
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote