Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Cliff climber V.S. Losi mini rock crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletrouble View Post
I just want to prove that a CC can be competitive.
Thats also my goal.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
Keep it real

Quote:
At this point I just want to prove that a CC can be competitive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
Thats also my goal.
And there is nothing wrong with that
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by medina619 View Post
losi umm not

Holy lift kit, Batman!

I have a Losi MRC and love it. I don't have a Duratrax CC , nor have I ever seen one perform, but I have seen one in person and I wasn't impressed.

The problem with Duratrax is that hardly any third party manufacturers produce accessories for their vehicles. I have a Vendetta ST that I LOVE, but Duratrax is the only company to make aftermarket parts for it. There are a few parts available from a couple random manufacturers, but not enough to even be a blip on the radar. It's sad because it's a great vehicle. The same can be said for the rest of the Duratrax vehicles including the CC.

On the other hand, nearly every third party crawling manufacturer produces parts for the Losi MRC. You can almost build a MRC without any original OEM parts.

But the CC's MOA axles seem better if you're going to build a serious competiton crawler from scratch. But then again a stock CC can't compete in the 1.9 comps so the Losi is basically on its own, save for home-built rigs. The one great thing going for the CC right now is that you can get them for nearly $100 less than the MRC in RTR form. No matter which one you buy you'll have fun with, but if you want to compete in the 1.9 class and/or add lots of accessories get the Losi.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I have a CC that I had a stretched frame made for , it now has a 12 inch wheelbase. It will be 12.5 when I make new links to level the front axle. Stretching the frame made a huge difference, I can now climb rocks that two of my neighbors with axials can't climb. I have spent alot of money on upgrading but that is part of the hobby. At this point I just want to prove that a CC can be competitive.
ive seen your CC and dam it looks awesome great job!
medina619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
ive seen your CC and dam it looks awesome great job!

Thanks, I'm learning as I go. Its my first crawler. I just oredered aluminum knuckles and cv axles, the rest of the metal gears and a mamba max. Hopefully that will do it for now till someone figures out a good motor set up.
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

A CC can definitely be competitive! Climbing at a local rock course, my CC will smoke my wifey's MRC. Badly. If it wasn't for the clod stall, a CC with a lengthened chassis and rear steering lockout would be on a par with the scorpion. I got plenty of comments about my CC, but no one really noticed my scorpion. Yes, the CC stock kinda sucks, but with a little lovin', the CC will perform. The MRC is pretty good stock, and really doesn't need any upgrades if you're satisfied with the performance, which makes it perfect for my wife. This thread has devovled to a Ford vs. Chevy debate. I see it simply as this: the MRC performs better stock, but the CC has more potential if you want to tinker with it.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
A CC can definitely be competitive! Climbing at a local rock course, my CC will smoke my wifey's MRC. Badly. If it wasn't for the clod stall, a CC with a lengthened chassis and rear steering lockout would be on a par with the scorpion. I got plenty of comments about my CC, but no one really noticed my scorpion. Yes, the CC stock kinda sucks, but with a little lovin', the CC will perform. The MRC is pretty good stock, and really doesn't need any upgrades if you're satisfied with the performance, which makes it perfect for my wife. This thread has devovled to a Ford vs. Chevy debate. I see it simply as this: the MRC performs better stock, but the CC has more potential if you want to tinker with it.
I would agree to that, I was really surprised how the CC performs with the lenghtened TSS-Chassis. I also have a very low COG now and the rear is locked. Next thing will be, throw a better servo in and change the tires to 1,9er FlatiIrons

I havent compared it with a losi, but I have seen stock losi run.

Pete
greasypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I guess I feel that this is an apples to oranges discussion. They are totaly different trucks. The Losi is obviously a 1.9 rig while the CC is a 2.2, a poorly set up 2.2 out of the box but it is still a 2.2 (it comes with 2.2 wheels). I own both and after setting my Losi up to be competitve it will go almost anywhere my Axial will go. I have not spent the time or money on the CC but with the few changes I have made to it I think it can be just as competitive, but again it is a 2.2 not a 1.9. Aside from the wheel size difference the CC is almost twice as big as Losi.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #29

I have bone stock CC I loved it UNTIL I purchased a MRC just out of the box stock.........I love the gearing on the MRC now the CC stays on the bench.
fordranger2682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #30

Default cc rocks

my cliff climber has been stretched to 12'', 2.2 losi rock claws, batteries on the front axle and will follow my ax10 which has bent links,45t,rovers,lipo,3''gc,and some custom stuff. i personally think the cc is better than the losi
shopdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:32 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I would have to agree with FIXED.

The only CC I've seen personally are the ones that stay one the shelves at the LHS, and I wasn't very impressed with what I saw. I've been into RC crawlin since '05 but got out of it for a bit, so when I went to the LHS a few months ago to see what was now available, I looked at everything. I'm a shafty kind of guy anyway but I was at first considering a CC. Just by going by what I could see from in the boxes, the CC looked like it was made cheaply and looked more like a "toy" than a HG crawler. After making my purchase and then doing the research on RCC, I'm glad I got the MRC.

That being said, the Losi's have their own share of problems and "must do's" as well, like replacing the servo & lockers are the 1st I always recomend.

But like FIXED said they are 2 diff trucks. The CC is straight up a 2.2 and has to "compete" (marketing wise) with Axials, Tamiya, & the like. There really isn't a competitor for the MRC. It's a 1.9 but because of it's size there's really not anything out there that's on the same "out-of-the-box" level. Sure plenty of people build 1.9's, but they're usually 1/10 scale or bigger. And that would also be the problem with comparing it to a SC-10 or CC01, they're a different scale.

IMO the CC is a poorly designed MOA 2.2 bastard that doesn't really fit into any particular class.......we all know how we feel about bastards....
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopdonkey View Post
my cliff climber has been stretched to 12'', 2.2 losi rock claws, batteries on the front axle and will follow my ax10 which has bent links,45t,rovers,lipo,3''gc,and some custom stuff. i personally think the cc is better than the losi

i agree but thats just me
Old 04-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

get the losi! my friend has a cliff cliber and it stalls and gets stuck on stuff my cc-01 rolls over that is all stock plus look hardly any upgrades for the cc because nobody bothers with it and the losi has started 1.9 crawling comps! but with taller tires the cc does ok but serisoly its a big joke ive seen a losi mrc own 2.2s and cc's plus with all the new 1.9 supportcoming from pro-line its an easy choice 4 me id got with losi it wont let you down
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Maybe not everyone wants something like everyone else. Not having alot of aftermarket support forces people to be creative. I think duratrax needs to do something about the motor ploblem, but other than that everything else can be fixed. The big joke is you don't have one so you really can't say much. My CC can go places my buddys axial 's can't go and visa versa. It's a matter of how much you put into it. Apparently quite a few people are buying them and messing with them look around in the section your in. It also depends on what class you want to run, I plan on running my CC in a 2.2 comp. Just my OPINION which probably does'nt matter since I actually own a Cliff Climber.
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

After my 17 yr cousin saw my Ax10 and MRC he started to get interested in RC Crawling. I decided to buy him a crawler for his bday. I saw the CC for around $115 at Tower hobbies and I bought 2 for them. I figured it would be a decent truck for him to get into the hobby with. The second one would be A "spare truck for me or my 11yr old coousin to bash around with my small indoor course.
Now I dont know if I got a bad truck or what but...
1-the controls were very glitchy (new batteries were swapped into reciever and truck, neither fixed the problem)
2- when the truck decided to work it could hardly climb over my work boots
3- when compared to the MRC ,the CC, just feels "cheap."

Needless to say the second truck never made it out of the package. Both trucks were send back to Tower and I ordered him an MRC right away.

I suggest you try and find a way to check out both trucks in person and see which one you like better. Everyone has different expectations and you may very well love the CC. Personally, I would rather have one MRC over two CC's.
C-MuRdaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

guys this battle will never end. you have people on here that side with the CC like my self and others that side with the MRC. which one is better is really depending on what direction you want to go. you have to take a couple of things into consideration cost.out of the box ability and again the direction you want to go. The MRC if I'm not mistaken cost about $250 a CC cost about $120-135 at tower. i liked the idea on of saving money and modding the crawler my self. if you have tha jack and you don't want to mod your truck then i suggest the MRC. If you want to save about $100 bucks and still have money left over to mod your crawler and still have tons of fun than get a CC. Both are good at what they are designed to do but its all about how far do you want to go? Most of all make it your decision and don't let someone talk you into something that is not for you.

Last edited by medina619; 04-06-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
guys this battle will never end. you have people on here that side with the CC like my self and others that side with the MRC. which one is better is really depending on what direction you want to go. you have to take a couple of things into consideration cost.out of the box ability and again the direction you want to go. The MRC if I'm not mistaken cost about $250 a CC cost about $120-135 at tower. i liked the idea on of saving money and modding the crawler my self. if you have tha jack and you don't want to mod your truck then i suggest the MRC. If you want to save about $100 bucks and still have money left over to mod your crawler and still have tons of fun than get a CC. Both are good at what they are designed to do but its all about how far do you want to go? Most of all make it your decision and don't let someone talk you into something that is not for you.

Thankyou for making some sense, they are different trucks, can't be compared. They are not even in the same class. (1.9 vs 2.2)

This thread should be closed.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-MuRdaA View Post
Dude are you serious... "fixed13" posted that you cant compare the CC, a 2.2 rig, to the MRC, a 1.9 rig. That is where the "everything and anything" came from. You are arguing with the guy based on random quotes that you are pulling out of context.
Thank you! Some people will twist words just to start petty high-school level arguments. Now that he has left this thread we can get back to the topic!

One thing I dislike about the CC is that the stock setup requires two batteries. The MRC comes with a pretty nice battery. Just one more thing to think about.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

One thing I dislike about the CC is that the stock setup requires two batteries. The MRC comes with a pretty nice battery. Just one more thing to think about.
I agree however i find that it really is nothing more than an annoyance and it seems that alot of guys have converted to just one battery over the front axel. That being said. you can have a 'pretty nice' battery or make a dope battery. you could argue that its more work or whatever but im pretty sure that 99% of us like this hobby because we can work on them.

so i your lazy and uninventive buy a mrc. (joking)
furiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:48 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Once you buy either one, if your like me you will change everything any way. I have an MRC and I love it, but i'm also intrested in a CC because of running axle mounted motors, all the weight is where you want it, no torque twist, chassis design is endless, you can set up a very simple rear and front dig, just like a clod or berg except I believe CC axles aren't as tough
Shadill is offline   Reply With Quote