Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Cliff climber V.S. Losi mini rock crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

not having driven either one, i bought the MRC. Here is why:
MRC has bearings, CC has bushings
MRC has spectrum, CC has 27MHz
CC has a lower price point.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ1386**
than the MRC
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB0222

And last, when i bought mine there seemed to be more aftermarket support for the MRC.

I still have not had a chance to drive a CC, so I might be biased. If you have a chance to, drive both before you buy.
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Thank you! Some people will twist words just to start petty high-school level arguments. Now that he has left this thread we can get back to the topic!

One thing I dislike about the CC is that the stock setup requires two batteries. The MRC comes with a pretty nice battery. Just one more thing to think about.
Yea that killed me too. Especially because I didn't realize that before I bought it, then went out and bought batteries only to realize that I wasn't happy with the CC. Luckily I was able to use the packsi bought on my MRC.

Last edited by C-MuRdaA; 04-08-2009 at 11:17 PM.
C-MuRdaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

I think comparing the CC to the MRC is inevitable since they are among a very small pack of "mini" crawlers. Another thing I found out about the MRC is that the stock ESC, while having a drag brake is still total garbage. I put a mini digital servo in my wife's MRC, thinking that I was taking care of one of the few flaws on the MRC, and it worked great....for about 5 minutes! The BEC died, then the rest of the ESC stopped working, and it also fried my nice expensive mini digital servo. I had been using this servo in my CRT .5, so I know the servo will take abuse. I took the ESC apart, and it was painfully obvious which IC got fried, and it was so bad I couldn't read the numbers on it, so I can't even order another chip to fix it. The stock cheesy looking ESC on the cliff climber can take some abuse, and its BEC will handle a hitec 645mg and a traxxas 2055 with no servo savers without breaking a sweat. Having driven both on the rocks, with some simple mods, the CC will outperform the MRC hands down, and when I upgraded the tires on my CC, the MRC inherited the CC's old tires, and that really helped the MRC. It is geared low enough that it can handle the slightly bigger CC tires. Just don't put a good servo in there and don't get rid of the servo saver. The MRC has a VERY weak BEC.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #44

CC $120.00 Losi $240 thats $120 difference between the two!
TheCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:42 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
I think comparing the CC to the MRC is inevitable since they are among a very small pack of "mini" crawlers. Another thing I found out about the MRC is that the stock ESC, while having a drag brake is still total garbage. I put a mini digital servo in my wife's MRC, thinking that I was taking care of one of the few flaws on the MRC, and it worked great....for about 5 minutes! The BEC died, then the rest of the ESC stopped working, and it also fried my nice expensive mini digital servo. I had been using this servo in my CRT .5, so I know the servo will take abuse. I took the ESC apart, and it was painfully obvious which IC got fried, and it was so bad I couldn't read the numbers on it, so I can't even order another chip to fix it. The stock cheesy looking ESC on the cliff climber can take some abuse, and its BEC will handle a hitec 645mg and a traxxas 2055 with no servo savers without breaking a sweat. Having driven both on the rocks, with some simple mods, the CC will outperform the MRC hands down, and when I upgraded the tires on my CC, the MRC inherited the CC's old tires, and that really helped the MRC. It is geared low enough that it can handle the slightly bigger CC tires. Just don't put a good servo in there and don't get rid of the servo saver. The MRC has a VERY weak BEC.
Sorry to hear about the fried esc, I have been running a 645mg in my mrc with stock esc daily since december with no probs. Maybe contact Losi.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #46
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
Sorry to hear about the fried esc, I have been running a 645mg in my mrc with stock esc daily since december with no probs. Maybe contact Losi.
I already emailed them, and they want me to send the ESC in for repair at my expense. It is out of the warranty period, so I just put my wife's Novak Spy in her MRC, and that works great. I have had problems with Losi ESC's before, so I am more comfortable with the Novak anyway. Having traxxas, tekin, futaba, losi, LRP, quark, tamiya, Castle, and Novak ESC's, Castle and traxxas have been the best, and Losi has been the worst. Maybe you got a good one, or I got a bad one. Are you using a servo saver?
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
I already emailed them, and they want me to send the ESC in for repair at my expense. It is out of the warranty period, so I just put my wife's Novak Spy in her MRC, and that works great. I have had problems with Losi ESC's before, so I am more comfortable with the Novak anyway. Having traxxas, tekin, futaba, losi, LRP, quark, tamiya, Castle, and Novak ESC's, Castle and traxxas have been the best, and Losi has been the worst. Maybe you got a good one, or I got a bad one. Are you using a servo saver?
No servo saver, alum arm.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote