Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Cliff climber V.S. Losi mini rock crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #1

Default Cliff climber V.S. Losi mini rock crawler

I was thinking about getting a rock crawler and was wondering how the Losi mini rock crawler compare to the cliff climber?
hotcrawler80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well on the mini crawler you have a shaft drive system and on the cliff climber you have power on both axles like the bigger clod.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I personally own the CC and owned a Losi, the losi right out of the box with some free mods was amazing, i think the whole time i owned it i put about $10 into it. (for axial links to stiffen the chassis) It was an amazing crawler, unfortunatly i had to sell it for financial reasons. Recently just got a CC because of the dropped price, couldnt resist to get back into crawling for $120. Its not as good as the losi right out of the box, but its not as bad as people make it seem either. Clod stall isnt all that bad stock, as long as your easy on the throttle. There also isnt a aftermarket for the CC like there is for the Losi. However i think the cliff climber is 100% worth $120 and i plan on making it better in the future with some basic mods, beadlocks, tires, rear steer lock out, CCX chassis (if still avalible by the time i start modding), ect. I know, the money i put into this thing will add up over time, but i didnt have money to buy the losi, and i couldnt pass up the deal on the CC, also i cant wait to start modding this thing, its a fun rig, and i kind of want to be unique by building a badass cliff climber that is competitive... Hope this helped....

My old losi:

My Cliff Climber (all stock except deans plugs, running 2 1200 6 cells):

Last edited by InFlames; 03-09-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: more info
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up

the cliff climber is 1/14 and losi mrc is 1/18 scale. the nice thing about the CC is you will have the ability to run indoor our out door. with the losi you will be very challenged to find object worth climbing out door. as far as hop-up parts i would have to disagree with inflames, duratrax has pretty much every hopup part you could want and you can also use some parts from 1/10 scale unlike the losi, for example wheels. i just added some really nice axial wheels to my cliff climber. as far as better, thats really up to your preference. i spent 120 for my cliff climber and added wheels and will soon add some additional hopups and i will not even spend what a losi MRC would cost. the cliff climber over all is better, bottom line you have much more options on what you can do.
medina619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

losi umm not

Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by medina619 View Post
with the losi you will be very challenged to find object worth climbing out door.
I think you're smoking crack It's very easy to find stuff for the losi to climb outdoors they can pretty much keep up to a 2.2. The CC also isn't comp legal because it is a MOA rig, so if that is in your future plans Losi is the way to go.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyal View Post
I think you're smoking crack It's very easy to find stuff for the losi to climb outdoors they can pretty much keep up to a 2.2. The CC also isn't comp legal because it is a MOA rig, so if that is in your future plans Losi is the way to go.
well if you like climbing pebbles? the losi cant even crawl up a curb. as far a competition goes, the majority of the people here will NOT be participating in a competition silly kid.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I own both the Losi and the CC. The CC doesn't fit into any comp class really, it is to small to be a true 2.2 but it is a MOA setup so you can't run it in the 1.9 class. It will take 2.2 tires just fine and they help with it's ability but it is to short to be competitive.

[I]the cliff climber is 1/14 and losi mrc is 1/18 scale. the nice thing about the CC is you will have the ability to run indoor our out door. with the losi you will be very challenged to find object worth climbing out door. as far as hop-up parts i would have to disagree with inflames, duratrax has pretty much every hopup part you could want and you can also use some parts from 1/10 scale unlike the losi, for example wheels. i just added some really nice axial wheels to my cliff climber. as far as better, thats really up to your preference. i spent 120 for my cliff climber and added wheels and will soon add some additional hopups and i will not even spend what a losi MRC would cost. the cliff climber over all is better, bottom line you have much more options on what you can do. [/I]
It is very easy to find stuff to climb with the Losi, with a well built Losi you can crawl anything a 2.2 can crawl. Yes, Duratrax has "all the hop up parts", if you want to keep it stock or close to. There is nothing available for the CC that will increase its capablity. Please do a search for the Losi Mini on this forum before you spend any money on a truck, you will learn alot as far as what the capabilitities of the truck are. Do the same search for the CC and see how much info is out there. Again, I have both, I have more money stuck into my Losi for comp reasons but my Losi will follow my 2.2 around all day while the CC is stuck on the first gate.

Please don't get me wrong, I like the CC for what it is, if you want to spend some money and time you may end up with a good crawler. To make it comp worthy you will have to go the 2.2 route cause it will never be a 1.9 due to the rules. I feel the biggest problem with the CC is the motors and as of today there are no good motors on the market. I plan to use mine as a fun truck for the kids to run and get others into the hobby, it fits that purpose perfectly, it is cheap and crawls well out of the box.

Last edited by fixed13; 03-09-2009 at 11:35 PM.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Even if the cliff climber was able to compete against the MRC it would never win. With the losi you just need Mini slider motor, 2 cell lipo, losi crawler shocks, blue losi 1.9 claws , metal lockers . The cliff climber needs all metal gears in the axles $9.00 x 3 in each axle do the math . New motors x 2 stock sucks. A real esc something with drag brake ( The losi has it stock). Metal links the plastic wont last 5 min( losi has it stock). Remove the rear servo. Figure out how to get any steering out of it. Buy a real radio because (the losi have spektrum 2.4ghz). Am radios is for losers. I have both and for the money the losi has most of the things.
My cliff climber want 5 min and stripped both front and rear diffs. broke 1 lower link . It just would stall out not not climb anything. The losi out of the box will kill the cliff climber and for 240.00 your getting your moneys worth. they lowered the price of the cliff climber because they weren't selling. and they still cant out sell the losi. I guess you get what you pay for.
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
Keep it real

Quote:
well if you like climbing pebbles? the losi cant even crawl up a curb. as far a competition goes, the majority of the people here will NOT be participating in a competition silly kid.
Maybe yours couldn't climb up a curb:-P Mine goes pretty much anywhere my 2.2 will go, except where limited by wheelbase.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CBTa...e=channel_page

They are too different classes of trucks, the Losi is a 1.9 while the CC is a 2.2, besides the whole shafty MOA thing.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You have never run a Losi, that is clear. If you don't plan to compete, so be it. Buy the truck that suits your needs. We are just trying to give all the info so an informed decision can be made. Don't be so cocky if you don't know what you are talking about.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Let me guess. You would suggest a Summit as a good super crawler?
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
Keep it real

Quote:
losi umm not

By the way, hows that link geometry working out?
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Nether can the cliff climber, without a good kick. The losi is alot more fun. My 4 year old brother hates the CC he says it always broken because it wont climb anything. he wants to drive My losi tuber. because it works. Ive wasted alot of money on the CC and it still wont climb 1/2 the stuff the losi will. I rather spend 240.00 on something a kid could drive and have fun than 120.00 be done with is in 30 seconds.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyal View Post
Let me guess. You would suggest a Summit as a good super crawler?

Hey keep the summit out of this, It can point out in 2 gates or less. And do it at 25 MPH
Old 03-10-2009, 12:02 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
You have never run a Losi, that is clear. If you don't plan to compete, so be it. Buy the truck that suits your needs. We are just trying to give all the info so an informed decision can be made. Don't be so cocky if you don't know what you are talking about.
ok guy. did you ask what his plans are? NO! you took your side and i took mine. you like the MRC and i like the CC. i don't plan to run it in a competition and neither will most people. im comparing price point and out of the box features. they both have their advantages and disadvantages. if its for leisure i prefer the CC if you using it for competition i guess get the losi MRC. im not cocky and i have ran a losi MRC. most of you conclude that every one has plans to enter some type of crawling competition and for the most part that is NOT the case. if i crawled over your feelings my bad.

Last edited by medina619; 03-10-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I have to be honest here, i have both, and i haven't invested hardly anything on my mrc, except for a better servo, on my c.c. i have all metal internals for the diff, 454 motors x 2, mamba esc x 2, bearings, metal links, etc. and i still love to drive my mrc much more than my c.c. as a matter of fact i may drive the mrc 10 times more than my c.c.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
Even if the cliff climber was able to compete against the MRC it would never win.
that sounds like a challenge

I'd like to see how a nice CC would do against an MRC. I am talking a completely rebuilt CC that falls within the 1.9 rules (except for the one that says no MOA axles)

Last edited by 701 Technique; 03-10-2009 at 12:52 PM.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #19

Tanis i think summed it up. they are 2 different classes. the losi is a 1.9 class out of box. the CC is however not a 2.2 class due to the rear steering. take off the rear steering and yes you have a 2.2. who leaves their crawlers stock anyway?
Lestats Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I have a CC that I had a stretched frame made for , it now has a 12 inch wheelbase. It will be 12.5 when I make new links to level the front axle. Stretching the frame made a huge difference, I can now climb rocks that two of my neighbors with axials can't climb. I have spent alot of money on upgrading but that is part of the hobby. At this point I just want to prove that a CC can be competitive.
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote