Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: possible 10T pinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #61

I'll pester BP hobbies again.
BTW, the gears are brass, so they won't last as long if you are running a steel spur.[/QUOTE]

Blast those heli parts do they not want reliable parts for their hobby. Brass may look nice but nearly as durable as steel.
BTW would a CC even be worth the investment as an entry level crawler. to eventually pass down to my 4yr old as his first/second crawler?
paulydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #62
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulydog View Post
I'll pester BP hobbies again.
BTW, the gears are brass, so they won't last as long if you are running a steel spur.
Blast those heli parts do they not want reliable parts for their hobby. Brass may look nice but nearly as durable as steel.
BTW would a CC even be worth the investment as an entry level crawler. to eventually pass down to my 4yr old as his first/second crawler?[/QUOTE]

absolutley! with a few cheap mods it is very reliable and alot of fun
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

got mine for $49 new (got the prebuilt from Tower), so I'd have to say ... Yes!
Rockfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #64

thanks guys. I was beginning to consider the MAD crawler. But I figured I put to research time and everything else in to a CC. So a CC is the way I am going. He already enjoys my Nylint. Looking forward to passing this down to him also.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #65
RCC Addict

Default They are here!!

OK, well, I just ordered them!
I have been comm-ing with BP Hobbies and their source in Korea since March.

The pinions just got added to their catalog. I ordered 3 of each.
They get you $7.50 shipping for the little bastards.
I will have mine early next week and will report back. I hope they will work. I am going by what Korea supplier has said, and the desription that they are really 0.6M.

Few things to think about:
  • They are brass, so running on the steel idler may wear them out.
  • They are smaller in dia, so some material may need shaved off the axle cases depending on what motor you are running.
  • The smaller 9T is a 2mm bore, so will need center drilled out to 2.3mm for most motors.
Use their search tool to find the part numbers below:
P101: Pinion gear for Gear Drives: 10T, 2.3 mm ID (7.2mm OD), Mod 0.6
P103: Pinion gear for Gear Drives: 9T, 2.0 mm ID (6.6mm OD), Mod 0.6

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101

Last edited by sweli; 09-23-2009 at 07:46 PM.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #66

all right! We are all anxiously awaiting your news. Hope it works out as well as you/we think it will.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:55 AM   #67

Default Better alternative than a 10T pinion

Even if it would be posible to get a 9T it would give at most 22% difference from stock, 10T not more than 10% - dont think anyone would notice a difference!

Think that an extra gearbox would make a better result.
Got the idea from this thread by sweli;

This gearboxes from Great Planes are only $9.99 at TowerHobbies
Great Planes GEARBOX T400 1.7:1 RATIO STD GPMG0220

I choosed ratio 1.7:1 but 2.4:1 and 3:1 is also availabe.

With a shorter motor it will fit between the stock fourlink without any modifications at all but I modified the gearboxes to fit with stock motors.

sweli's setup:

My setup with stock motor, gearbox with new slimmed housings, first fitting test;

My modification of the gearboxes in this thread

Would even get more motor alternative, choose a smaller motor and get enough torq as well or choose a motor with a higher rpm together with a 3:1 gearbox and keep a low speed.
us_scandinavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #68
RCC Addict

Looks like you choose the same Electrifly boxes I did.
I chewed up the spur gear in it like it was cheap nylon ..................er wait........ it is cheap nylon.

Sorry to be 'not funny'. Mine worked for 3 batt packs then went south. I thought about rebuilding it with an alum or steel gear.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:07 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Yay and oh sh*t apply to the pinions from Skyholic.

The 9T pinions are great!. Brass with a thicker shoulder area that the set screw goes through. Desent fit and finish for a brass gear.
I already replaced the motor mount spacers with white nylon spacers, so with these I was able to get the 9T to mesh with the spur without shaving the axle case!! This is on the Banebot motors.
Obviously better torque and control.

and apply to BP Hobbies and Skyholic! They sent the wrong 10T pinion. After months (sent April) talking to them. I D I O T S !
Description on the bag reads 10T 0.6M. This is a small glue on pinion that is prob +/- 0.3M. It is half the outer dia and yet has one more tooth. Daaah?!

So I am back to running the same pinions front and rear, which means 'clod stall' is back.

Even with the lower ratio, I have minimal drag brake using a Sidewinder Micro.
Maybe I'll swap the Novak Havoc ESC into my 2.2, and the Rooster Crawler Ed. into this one and chance it on 9.6v to get the 'HOLD' braking from it.

The synopsys is that these Skyhoic brass gears appear to be a step in the right direction. The 9T is worth getting, but would be better if used with the correct 10T on the front axle.
Who knows what the longevity is going to be against the steel spur.
(I am running 'gear jelly' lube on them)
Old 09-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #70
RCC Addict

11T up front would be too big a difference?
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #71
RCC Addict

I thought about it, but didn't go there at first. Thought I would see how both 9T would work out.
I have a spare Sidewinder Micro and considered two Lipo 3S with two ESCs would do for clod stall, but am tired of throwing money into the CC pit, so have not bought any 3S's for it yet.

If the stall is horrible (if I get outside anytime soon) on the rocks, then I'll try the 11T.

Have not heard back from BP Hobbies (surprise) on if they messed up the order, or Skyholic did.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #72
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
OK, well, I just ordered them!
I have been comm-ing with BP Hobbies and their source in Korea since March.

The pinions just got added to their catalog. I ordered 3 of each.
They get you $7.50 shipping for the little bastards.
I will have mine early next week and will report back. I hope they will work. I am going by what Korea supplier has said, and the desription that they are really 0.6M.

Few things to think about:
  • They are brass, so running on the steel idler may wear them out.
  • They are smaller in dia, so some material may need shaved off the axle cases depending on what motor you are running.
  • The smaller 9T is a 2mm bore, so will need center drilled out to 2.3mm for most motors.
Use their search tool to find the part numbers below:
P101: Pinion gear for Gear Drives: 10T, 2.3 mm ID (7.2mm OD), Mod 0.6
P103: Pinion gear for Gear Drives: 9T, 2.0 mm ID (6.6mm OD), Mod 0.6

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V815101

sweeet! how did you drill them out?

EDIT: i just bought two 9Ts only charged me $3.25 shipping

Last edited by STANG KILLA SS; 09-30-2009 at 09:52 AM.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #73
RCC Addict

I bought a 9T and 10T to put the 10 in the front for Clod Stall.

They got the wrong 10T from Skyholic in Korea and in turn sent me the wrong ones.
I have two 9Ts in right now. Stall is not huge, but is there a bit.

Here is a pic of the 10T (left) and 9T (right) they sent. They asked me to send them this pic because they are arguing that they sent the right ones.
Dah!! Somebody smell his breath, I think he's drunk again.

Here is the pic from Skyholic web site. P103 in the pic is the 9T. The 10T I was supposed to get is the one on the left.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #74
RCC Addict

I drilled them out, by selecting two drill bits, one smaller then 2.3mm and one about 2.3mm.

Using two drills, I chucked the bit in one, and the gear in the other.
I pulled the set screw out of it.
I tried to make sure the chuck jaws were grabbing the smooth flat where the set screw is.
Spin the one with the gear and watch the end to see if it is centered in the chuck, or wobbles a bit. Re-chuck it if necessary.
I clamp one drill in on my bench, and hold the other in my hand.
Run both at medium speed and do not push to hard. Let the bit do the work.

Repeat with the next bigger drill bit.

Run the set screw in and out a few times to clear any burrs in the thread pocket.
I do not have the tap for this size.

Keeps it fairly centered.
I've learned not to try and drill out to the final size in one cut, but to progress up to the final size with various bits.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Damn! I ordered 4 of each pinion and two GWS EM400;s to test out .... I guess I'll be running the 9T's
Old 10-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #76
~THE SCALE SHOP~

my two 9Ts just showed up today, just gotta get a 2.3mm bit on the way from mcmaster.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
my two 9Ts just showed up today, just gotta get a 2.3mm bit on the way from mcmaster.

I just took calipers to the motor shaft and found the next smaller drill bit I had. I think it was a #42 or 43 from the local hardware.

I started with something slightly smaller then that, so I was not biting too much at a time.

I did notice that one of mine got a little off-center on the bore. Wobbles a little.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Looks like you choose the same Electrifly boxes I did.
I chewed up the spur gear in it like it was cheap nylon ..................er wait........ it is cheap nylon.

Sorry to be 'not funny'. Mine worked for 3 batt packs then went south. I thought about rebuilding it with an alum or steel gear.
I rebuild my gearboxes with bearings before I mounted them - believe bushings and bad allignments could be a reasong for eating gears.

Had my gearboxes disassembled yesterday for inspection after 5 batt packs. couldn't se any wear och burrs inside. And I can't se any problems that they are made of nylon - so is the rest of the drivetrain - and as primary gear to the (stock)motors, the torque is low and strain at least - did you get right backlash?
If the gear are right adjusted and greased up I think they will last as long as my other stock gears. Most stress would be between counter gear and diffgear, there should be about double torque as original but they are still working!

So this gearboxes give the CC the speed and crawler capability that it need, and clod stall is completely gone!
Now the total ratio is up from 28:1 to 47:1 (as AX-10 Scorpion has)
So approximately a ratio double up against the original seems a good starting point - so I still doubt that a 9T pinion gear gives a notable difference.
us_scandinavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 AM   #79

Default geardown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
I'll take a few, say..........9T.
ill take afew
terra crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #80
Rock Crawler

Well just got my pinions today.... I just e-mailed BPhobbies about my useless (and not at all what was desrcibed for sale) 10T pinions. So I guess I'll get on to drilling out the 9T's then.