Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Speed??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Speed??

I am wanting to get a good bit of speed out of my recently aquired Cliffy. I am gonna be running 1 3s 1300 35c lipo in it. I am trying for a Formula Offroad truck on a budget. Thinking of a Sidewinder esc but am unsure on some motors for the best wheel speed in a brushed package. I am also thinking a carbon fiber chassis and to lighten as much as possable.
93-306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

How about 2 of the $40 Hobby Wing systems if there are no brushed motors?
93-306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
trx
Rock Stacker

Just put a set of banebot 395 motors in my boys cliffy ,It has a evx 14.4 speedo and running 2 2s 1550 lipos, I think it will have too much speed when i get the the axles rebuilt, Didnt even have a chance to open her up. Put it down nailed the throttle and that thing took off in a big ass wheelie,then fliped over backwards,then back on its wheels before i could even get off the gas . Needless to say axles are molested. Anybody have any good gears laying around?
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:34 AM   #4

Default axles

I have a complete cliff climber, un driven
If I were to FoFF it I would run 2 8900 castle setups with a Y connector, run them both back to a Y for power of the 3s and stand clear!!!!!
If no one buys my cliffy, thats what Im doing to it, I better film it cos I dont think I'll get many runs out of it
j33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Nobody

Man, FOFF Might be asking too much of these axles. If you wanna stay brushed, I'd try the banebot motors, bigger pinions (if they exist) and 4s. Probably an vex like trx has. Metal gears for sure. I just dumped 75 bucks on them for my 6x6.

I'm sure there's plenty of high kv brushless motors that'd fit in there but you'll have to get the gearing right.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #6

I have a cliffy and was looking at the Banebot motors. Does anyone have the stats on the stock motors on the cliffy? Also which banebot motor is a direct bolt on? I see an RS380 RS390 & RS395 Thanks Scott
scottgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I use to own a Cliff Climber (3rd pic in gallery) and had a set of HH Cobalt motors. Needless to say it was fast. I was doing some speed runs up and down my street when I melted the housings so bad the motors almost dropped out.

Just be careful
vltchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vltchkr View Post
I use to own a Cliff Climber (3rd pic in gallery) and had a set of HH Cobalt motors. Needless to say it was fast. I was doing some speed runs up and down my street when I melted the housings so bad the motors almost dropped out.

Just be careful
Ha, i hear you on the power of the HH cobalts, only i was destroying gears left and right, even the upgraded metal ones
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

With a lower turn motor, 3cell 35c should go off. Maybe 18.5 turn? I run 22T and thats mad
rockpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:10 PM   #10

Is it even possible to get these axles to hold up to high speed thrashing?
seems tough to make these last, mine killed the rear end on almost the first trigger pull with the banebots...
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote