Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: My project CC on a budget....for now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #21

what materials did you use do make your custom links? newbie here!
TheCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow View Post
what materials did you use do make your custom links? newbie here!

I used 6/32 allthread with traxxas rod ends. The link to the ones I used is in an above post. Then sleeved them with 1/4in brakeline.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #23

Thanks! but where did you get the 1/4in brakeline? sorry I asked to much ?'s!
Old 03-31-2009, 07:58 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I got the brake line from advanced auto but any auto parts store should have it. They sell it in different lengths and diameters.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #25

thanks! I will post it here when Im done with it. I bought Novak Goat are they good?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
thanks! I will post it here when Im done with it. I bought Novak Goat are they good?
I've never used one but it is only a 7 cell max esc. I tried to run my CC on 7 cells and was dissapointed with its power. If you are using the stock motors they need 2 batteries(12 cells) to have any grunt.

If you run different motors like the holmes 454 you will only need 6 cells and some even use 5.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 PM   #27

I will use my stock motor for now. but I will maybe end up getting the 454 anyways. hey one more question. I also got the same size link you got 6/32 what size did you used for the rod ends? I know you said traxxas but is there a model number?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
hey one more question. I also got the same size link you got 6/32 what size did you used for the rod ends? I know you said traxxas but is there a model number?
These are what I used http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJJ81&P=ML
Old 04-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #29

dude your awesome! thanks for helping me. I might ask for more ?'s when I get all my stuff if you dont mind.thanks again.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:07 AM   #30

would you beleive i'm having trouble finding 6/32 treaded rod. i've check with about every hardware store around, i'll try a machine shop today if i go towards town. surely theey will have it, if not don't know where to check next.
ESForeman450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Do you have a Lowe's close by? Mine has it back in the hardware section.
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #32

Home depot
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #33

no home depot here where i live. but i will check lowes out. reason i didn't check with lowes already is i figured they'd be the last place around here to have rod that small. cause i've needed small bolts afew times and they didn't have nothing to help me.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESForeman450 View Post
no home depot here where i live. but i will check lowes out. reason i didn't check with lowes already is i figured they'd be the last place around here to have rod that small. cause i've needed small bolts afew times and they didn't have nothing to help me.
Went to Lowes yesterday and they had it along with a small selection of 4-40 stuff that I couldn't find anywhere else around here.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #35

well i called lowes amin ago, lo and behold they got 6 12inch 6/32 rods. at 1st he said all they had was 3inch but he kept looking and found the the 12inch ones.
and has anybody came up with a good idea on the shock mounts yet for the links. i keep coming up with the idea of small cable clamps and nut the shock to the top side of the clamp, on the threads sticking out. and cut off the lower threads that stick out past the clamp. i use to have afew of them small cable clamps, but i can't find them now. and i did have some plastic around here that kinda looks like muffler banding. with small holes in it. thought about finding it and put that across both upper links and nut them in place on the links, and bolt the shocks to that.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #36

i have all the stuff to make my links and ill most likely be making some tomorrow, but i was just wondering what are the dimensions of your bends (like degrees and length of link up to and after bend)?
flexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexj View Post
i have all the stuff to make my links and ill most likely be making some tomorrow, but i was just wondering what are the dimensions of your bends (like degrees and length of link up to and after bend)?

Rear upper link length is 6 1/4in and the lowers are were about 6 1/2in. The bend starts about 4in into the link. The front lower link was about 3/8in longer than stock. I guessed on the bend angle, I'm lucky like that. Just bend a little and try, you can always bend more but removing bend is not fun. Get one the way you want it and make the other to match.

I've been busy and will have some updates with more pics soon. I installed a Castle bec and it took care of the glitching and shutting down issue. This thing is finally starting to work like I want.

Last edited by brokenb4; 04-04-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Finally I've got something I can use and abuse.

I installed the castle bec(turned up to 6v), switched out the servo for a Tower Pro mg995(working great), and put the stock shocks back on the rear mounted to the upper links. I used some small clamps I found at the hardware that worked great.

I also made a battery mount on the front axle. Battery and mount are covered with velcro, the zip ties are for extra security.

I also trimmed the body and lowered it about 1/2in.

Flex is about right, maybe a little too much if anything. Wheelbase ended up 12.25in and ground clearance 3.25in.

Seems to do well around the house, hopefully I can give it a good outdoor test this weekend. Next I'm thinking independent rear steer with the tq3 I've been using.

I tried a set of flat irons and axial beadlocks but they had too much weight in them. The motors weren't having it.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Center of gravity is good. It climbs great, the sidehill could be a little better.

The rear tires were about an inch from touching the wall before it wanted to roll backwards.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I am running axial beadlocks with pro line hammers with weights in the front and rear. The stock motors crawl great with the weight. I wonder what the difference is?
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote