Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: My project CC on a budget....for now

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletrouble View Post
I am running axial beadlocks with pro line hammers with weights in the front and rear. The stock motors crawl great with the weight. I wonder what the difference is?
Mine weigh right at 1lb each. I assume yours are less. I'm also just using 1100mah battery packs.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Got the motors http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M5-RS390-12 spartacus recommended installed today and what a huge difference. They bolted right up with just moving the links to the outside.

Power is endless on 14.4v, and I like it. Never could get either axle to stall. It only lasted about 10 minutes before eating the stock gears in the rear. Time to install the metal upgrades I guess.

big thanks to spartacus_nuc for figuring out a good motor option
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #43
Rock Stacker

I'm gonna experiment with slightly fewer cells this weekend to try and reduce the gear eating tendencies of these motors, and hopefully, they will provide good performance at a low enough voltage the we can start using a good ESC with a drag brake. I doubt the rooster will work, but the Tekin FXR and Castle Mamba Max can handle at least 3S lipo/9 cell NiMH AND have drag brakes.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Spent most of the day finding rocks, taking them to my friends back yard and making a little rock garden. Its complete with a waterfall and pond and was a blast to run on.

The duratrax did great on it's first true beating outside. Only problem I've got is low run time with the junk 1100mah batteries I'm using and these powerful motors. I might have gotten a good strong 15min, then i could see a loss of power.

I may be going back to the sub c cells but only run 10 to slow these down a bit. I'd like to find a 9 or 10 tooth pinion to try so I don't lose much torque.

Pics from today... the pond is about 10in deep, I lost the rear axle in it today and we also completely lost an mrc for a couple seconds
We will add rocks to the bottom so it's not so deep, and more rocks in general.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Default Nice

I'm a ax10 guy, but I do respect what you have done with that rig.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
I'm a ax10 guy, but I do respect what you have done with that rig.

Thanks, I feel I've almost got my moneys worth already

artr cc- $60
used novak evx esc- $30
390 motors- $10
Batteries- free
used cc bec- $15
used 2.2 wheels and tires- $15
metal gear upgrades/cvds/springs- $96
tower pro servo- $11
hardware, brakeline, link ends, paint, misc.- $20
used Tq3 radio- $20

Total for everything to make a fun rtr crawler basher that will suprise alot of people- $277

All of these prices were shipped to me so it is an actual total.

Last edited by brokenb4; 04-18-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Great shots, great rock garden, great CC! You did very well on keeping the cost down also; it's nice to see what can be done on the cheap since I'm having to build 2 of them at once! It's especially refreshing to hear someone say they are actually enjoying bashing their CC instead of just bellyaching about how it can't be a world championship contender. Keep up the good work!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #48

Nice one! youre one of those people I followed here on this forum, I really like how your rig turned out. low CG, most cc they are all have high ground clearance, yours is not. I also bought the same motors you have! how was it? Im afraid to put it with all my plastic gears. I know you said it will eat it up. The only thing is I can't find a METAL MAIN GEAR? everytime I look for one its made of plastic! Is there such thing? or thats the only thing they didn't make a metal gear? One more thing how did you mount your rear shocks to the links?

Last edited by TheCrow; 04-20-2009 at 04:20 PM.
TheCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow View Post
I also bought the same motors you have! how was it? Im afraid to put it with all my plastic gears. I know you said it will eat it up. The only thing is I can't find a METAL MAIN GEAR? everytime I look for one its made of plastic! Is there such thing? or thats the only thing they didn't make a metal gear? One more thing how did you mount your rear shocks to the links?
I think you could get by with the plastic gears for a while. Just take it easy on the throttle if a tire is bound up, and don't drive it like you stole it. I'd also stay away from much weight in the wheels, I'm pretty sure if I put on the 2.2 flatirons/beadlocks that weight 16oz apeice I would find the next weak link.
You may need to upgrade the idler gear to metal as that seems to be the first weak link I've found with a stock axle.

The rear shocks are mounted with small clamps used to mount fuel line or brake line on cars. I think I may have got them at harbor freight. It came with the rubber insert, I used a drop of super glue inside during installation to keep them from sliding on the links. Experiment with the angle and what you like, it took me quite a bit to get them just right. Too far to the rear and the truck will fold in on itself

This is the gear you can't find? main gear

Funny thing you mentioned the ground clearance, one of the next steps will be to get this thing even a little lower and a serious stock chassis overhaul for free with some derlin scraps. Stay tuned.... this could get interesting.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #50

thanks! I will put the motors in and see what will happen. Im having hard time looking for those clamps that you used. Do you know any website that carries them? or maybe you have a some extras laying around there that I can have? Just kidding! anyways my stuff will come in hopefully today or tom. Mamba Max esc.. etc... my problem is I dont know how to wire my motors and my batteries? need help on that!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
thanks! I will put the motors in and see what will happen. Im having hard time looking for those clamps that you used. Do you know any website that carries them? or maybe you have a some extras laying around there that I can have? Just kidding! anyways my stuff will come in hopefully today or tom. Mamba Max esc.. etc... my problem is I dont know how to wire my motors and my batteries? need help on that!

I picked up a couple different types of clamps when I was looking(metal and plastic). They also make them in plastic, I had seen others use them and that's where I got the idea. If you have any decent hardware stores around they should have some variation of the clamp. I would also recommend bringing a scrap of brakeline to get the right size you need.

The other pack of clamps I got can be found on Harbor Freights website, search part # 66009. They would work with a little peice of double sided tape under them to keep from sliding around.

As far as wiring I have yet to use a mamba max so I can't be much help there.

Last edited by brokenb4; 04-22-2009 at 09:35 AM. Reason: found clamps
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #52
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Wire your motors in parallel, and your batteries in series. You could even get creative if you have a good soldering iron and solder different taps on your one of your 6 cell packs to use 2 cells, 4 cells or all 6 cells on ONE of the batteries. That way you could try out different voltages easily to find what works for you. The Mamba Max will handle 12 cells, but the only place I found the correct rating is on castle's website. Tower Hobbies has the wrong ratings for the Mamba Max. The banebots motors ROCK, and my kids are getting them in their CC's when I can find some more time.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:42 AM   #53

thanks for the instructions spartacus, My only problem is I never solder before in my life. This is going to be my first time and I will do it on a very expensive ESC.lol!! but I will go a head and try it. Hope it works! what about these https://www.tanicpacks.com/product_i...2a8ba700830188 can I use that type of connection? eliminate some of the soldering. They have parallel and series.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

What kind of run time are you getting with the banebots motors and with what battery? sorry if someone else has asked the same question.
starvenamrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvenamrvin View Post
What kind of run time are you getting with the banebots motors and with what battery? sorry if someone else has asked the same question.

I am using associated 1100 packs that I took apart. I haven't timed it but I think I get around 20-30 minutes with a little loss of power after 15. Not that big of a deal since the motors get warm like the stock ones and shouldn't be ran until they a smoking hot.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Will the duratrax motor heat sinks fit them?
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

They should, they are the same size, just longer than stock.