Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: 3wd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:17 PM   #1

Default 3wd

my cliff has started 3wd'ing, the right rear wheel stops pulling and is just along for the ride. i've messed with it for over a hour. i took part it apart and put a washer in the carrier to help set the stub in closer the axle. and even sqeezed the stub with channel locks so the axle would be tighter in the stub. but every time i put it back together it'll 3wd again in acouple mins. i can also just push hard on the tire and turn it, and it'll lock back in for amin. i can sit and try to make work part by hand and it works just like it should, but soon as i put it together and run it amin it'll mess up.

Last edited by ESForeman450; 03-28-2009 at 05:25 PM.
ESForeman450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Check where your axle fits into the diff, it could be rounded out.
Slowkrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

mine did this exact thing. The bushings starting seizing up on the stub axles. All you have to do is remove the rear wheels unscrew the screws holding the knuckles in and press the axle stubs out with your fingers or a slight tap. may have to sand the inside of the bushing just slightly with some high grit sand paper then grease both bushing and reassemble. I had to do mine I did one then the other did the same thing so just go ahead and do both at the same time
p3ripperfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

the reason it works for a second is it is getting hot and locking up. It works but it is actually dragging then the bushing gets hot and it locks up.
p3ripperfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #5

thanks for the posts. i'm new to the site but i have been peeping around here awhile reading post.
but i maybe mis'understanding what you are saying. but the wheels not locking up it's free rolling. the dog bone is popping out of the axle stub.
and i looked on towers site and found dog bones but couldn't the stubs.
i did find cv joint to replace the dog bones. are they any good? cause that maybe the way to go.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #6

i got it, but i had to jimmy rig it. i put a small nut in the stub for a spacer. so the dog bone is tight in the diff and the stub now. i've run it 2 chargings so far so good.
so i guess i really need to replace the gear in the diff and the stubs too later, but i'm going to run it like it is till i got to fix it right.
thanks for the help and all.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #7

well the left front wheel done the samething this time. i put alittle nut in the stud of it too. and went back to running it. it acts like the dog bones are moving left/ right enough to let them pop out. and with the little nut as a spacer that can't move around like that. don't know but the main thing it's crawling.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

My cc and my son's cc did the same thing, and all I did was replace the rounded out drive cup on the diff and put an o-ring or two in the stub axles. The o-rings keep the axle in the drive cup on the diff and flex a little so it doesn't bind. I've been abusing mine with all kinds of different motors and I have broken pinions and gears, but never had another problem with the axles. This mod is recommended by my LHS, and it just plain works.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 AM   #9

ok thanks may try that next time one gives up on me.
you had any luck with finding the motor set up yet. and i am hope the 9t or 10t gear will be something we can get our hand on soon too.