Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: clff climber for kid's?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Default clff climber for kid's?

i just got a ax-10 for me and my boy's have been haveing a ball with it. so i have been looking in to geting one for them thay are 4 and 6.

how dus the cc hold up it looks like a good deal for the price.
rladieu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #2

I like it; I'm 31 but I'm very immature, so I think I can relate. It's a great size for inside the house, but the laundry on the floor keeps getting wrapped around the tires. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube of people running them indoors.

One of the few downsides I can see are the number of fiddly little spacers you need to assemble it; it's simple to build but those can be a handful at times. Duratrax makes some blue aluminum pivot balls for the suspension links with the spacers machined in (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVFK3&P=7) you can outfit a whole truck for $15.

Get two unless you like fights, or think you can instill the whole 'sharing' thing in them. Good luck with that one...
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I was wondering the same thing. My boy will be 5 in may and Just not ready to hand him my 6 channel remote for my comp 2.2 yet. For 134 bux it'd be a great b-day present if he wouldn't kill it. I heard the motors really need more torque to be competitive so that'd be a plus on not breaking parts lol
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #4

i figered i can get 2 trucks with batorys for arond 300$ or so (wich is less then i have in my ax-10 don't tell my wife lol) and this way we can run them at camp and in the house and it's something we can all do.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think they would be good and have room to grow later. I've been enjoying mine.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #6

i just got one off ebay...new in the box all it needs is batorys $119 shiped

so thats one i need one more so i'm 1/2 way thar lol
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

the CC's are cool little trucks they climb pretty well, but have clod stall. kinda slow to just drive around unless your just crawling them to. even after you buy them you have to get battery's etc. i'd go with the wheely king.. it's very basic, very tuff, good for all around bashing, you can share 6cell battery's, wheelies which are super fun and a little better quality too.
execelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Get another CC, they are grea little trucks and even with the Clod Stall, your lil ones wont complain. PLUS they have the 1 year Stress Tech warrenty, if they break any black plastic susp or drivetrain part, Duratrax will replacse it for FREE! Perfect for lil guys learning. The Wheely King is OK, but has more then its share of flaws as well and would hardly say it is better Quality. For the money, you cant go wrong with the Cliff Climber.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I just bought the prebuilt version for my daughter for her 4th birthday, and my 6yr old son has had one since Christmas. They are great vehicles for kids to get interested in rock crawling or just playing around. I think my son likes his brushless RS4 MT better, especially when we go to the track, but both of my kids like having their own crawlers when the family goes to the local crawling spot. We have a small rock garden at home, and my kids love making it to the top of the pile, which is still somewhat challenging for anything less capable than a scorpion. For the dirt cheap prices you can pick up a CC for, you really can't go wrong getting one the for kids, and for the adults, it has a lot of potential if you want to tinker.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 PM   #10

If you keep in mind that a stock CC can't climb the same terrain that bigger purpose-built crawlers can, then it can be a great truck for everybody, not just kids.

You can have a great time with your kids making some moveable indoor obstacles out of thin plywood, 1x1 to 2x2 wood strips, small nails and some wood glue. They can design all kinds of geometric shapes, help dad build them, and then move them around the living room or yard to make different courses.
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #11

i think thay will like it. thay play with my ax-10 every day. i have a good place to make a indoor track for us to have some fun with and a good dich with some rocks too.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Good, I think I'll get one for my boy. Maybe it'll help get thw Wii remote out of his hands too.
addictedtonitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtonitro View Post
Good, I think I'll get one for my boy. Maybe it'll help get thw Wii remote out of his hands too.

Take the Wii to the pawn shop and get 2.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #14

my boy's don't play the wii much but this way i will get my ax-10 back so i can use it
Old 04-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #15

ok i just got the first one from ups and i have one more on the way. i'm not going to give them to them till i have both...