Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: rear steering lockout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #1

Default rear steering lockout

so let me know if this is a total newbie question. I have noticed that alot of you guys choose to lockout the rear steering, is this to conform to comp rules? I seem to be more successful with the help of rear steering. does it make a positive difference or is it to creat more of a challenge.
furiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #2

Theoretically it should help, by tightening the turning radius, but it all depends on the driver and the terrain. Generally locking the rear steering makes a truck easier to drive at speed, like the Clod Buster. I find it's a little more predictable, because you don't have to deal with the rear tires sliding on a rock in a different way than the fronts, or the rear steering getting 'moved' by the force of the terrain. Counter-steering will also react differently than you get used to when driving regular cars or trucks.

That's just for 'full-time' rear steering, the kind the stock Cliff Climber has. If you use a 3-channel radio so you can control the rear steering independently from the front, that is definitely an advantage once you figure out how to use it; you can shorten the turning radius, only turn the rear wheels so the front end is the pivot point, turn both wheels in the same direction so it 'crab walks', etc. I have a 3-channel Traxxas radio with a 3-position toggle switch for my Tamiya Highlift and would like to give this a try someday. Full-size monster trucks use this system, so they can turn more sharply and maneuver more easily in arenas and stadiums. Trophee Andros ice racers also use rear steering to help the cars snake around the tight ice courses. For the monster trucks it's an on-off setup, flip the switch and it turns all the way in that direction, but I'm not sure if the ice racers have the same setup or it's proportional like the front wheels.

I can't speak for comp rules, though I'm sure there are some that address this in one way or another.

I locked mine mostly for the reasons above. I was able to do it with spare parts I had, but the kit from Duatrax is very cheap. A few easy modifications will really increase the front steering throw as well.
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:22 PM   #3

i have noticed that my rear wheels do sometimes get stuck in the turned position while climbing, which sucks. I think i might lock out the rears and and try to increase the front end steering radius.

I am stretching out my frame, inspired by double trouble's frame project, so maybe all this combined will help out.

thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I threw away the servo savers and used a hitec 645mg in the front and a traxxas 2055 in the rear. Since they are opposite rotation, you can mount the rear servo with the horn pointing down and get rid of that stupid spacer. Just looking at that spacer made me consider locking out the rear, but I had some different servos hanging around so I gave it a shot, and it works great. I like the tighter turning radius, especially since I have to pick my lines a little more carefully with a small truck. I don't have a spare 3 channel receiver (they're all on my race trucks, and my wife wouldn't share her extra spektrum receiver), so I just got used to it.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
I thre Since they are opposite rotation, you can mount the rear servo with the horn pointing down and get rid of that stupid spacer.
i hated that spacer, i didnt have any servos laying around so i went and picked up a servo reverser. it seems to work well.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #6

I've got pics of my setup in a thread I am making shortly.
3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote