Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: First run outdoors, lots of pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

Default First run outdoors, lots of pics

I painted the body up last night and this morning, but it's so sunny and dry out I didn't want to wait to put the decals on before getting out to run it. I ran it on the track that is under construction in my backyard, basically over the random piles of dirt waiting to be made into ramps and berms.

The paint is all Parma Faskolor; Faspearl Blue backed by Faspearl Silver, Fasorange and Faswhite inside, and Fasblack on the outside of the hood and bed. I was able to do the whole thing in about 3 hours, but it would have been a lot easier had I taken a little more time with my preparation in setting up my airbrush and paints. I also could have paid more attention to the masking, some of the edges are a little rough, but I don't care. I will paint the wheels silver soon, I just got fed up with trying to mask them and wanted to get outside. I think leaving the hood scoop body-colored came out really well.

This thing is a little tank, even on only six cells. Slow as a turd rolling uphill, but the torque seems fine. That big mound on the patio is at least 45 degrees and after a few passes to smooth it out I was able to just walk right up it, in forward and reverse, even at partial throttle, with just a little wheelspin. It's about 40 degrees and windy out, so I'll get some video in a few days.

3DSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #2

Great pictures, I noticed something about your tire tread pattern, so I went to my truck and it looks to me that you have the outside lugs pointing in different directions, as I understand, the large tooth shaped lug should be facing forward for the best bit. Also like the paint job, I don't have the skill to draw clean line so I always admire someone that can do their own painting.
FlatwaterMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatwaterMG View Post
Great pictures, I noticed something about your tire tread pattern, so I went to my truck and it looks to me that you have the outside lugs pointing in different directions, as I understand, the large tooth shaped lug should be facing forward for the best bit. Also like the paint job, I don't have the skill to draw clean line so I always admire someone that can do their own painting.
I'll be darned, I never even noticed the tires LOL Whomever assembled the truck obviously gave me two sets of 'lefts' or 'rights'. I am letting some debonder soak into the bead on one of the tires, see if that will do anything. I wanted to anyway because it would be a LOT easier to paint them without the tires. If it doesn't work I'm sure it won't make any difference to the performance, though it will sure look goofy LOL

Painting something like that is very easy, all you need is a straightedge and some tape. It would have been even easier if I had used orange pin-striping tape instead of paint.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #4

if the debonder doesnt work the easiest way to get the tires off the wheels after you have glued them is to get like a cookie sheet put some wax paper down and then bake them in the oven on 350 for about 12 to 15 minutes and then pull it out and the tires will pull right off the wheel like theres no glue at all, but you will want some gloves or something like that on cause they will be pretty hot, so just something else to keep in mind to try.
maxxman_121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #5

That's a good tip, I will have to try that. I'll do it in my toaster oven instead of my brand new oven LOL if this works I can peel some Tamiya Rally block tires off these horrible wheels I put them on years ago.

The debonder I tried is pretty old and did nothing, but I have some brand new Bob Smith Industries stuff I might try.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxman_121 View Post
if the debonder doesnt work the easiest way to get the tires off the wheels after you have glued them is to get like a cookie sheet put some wax paper down and then bake them in the oven on 350 for about 12 to 15 minutes and then pull it out and the tires will pull right off the wheel like theres no glue at all, but you will want some gloves or something like that on cause they will be pretty hot, so just something else to keep in mind to try.
The oven trick is working like a charm; I put them in a toaster oven at 350 for 15 minutes. The top side comes right apart but I have to flip them over to get the backside to break apart. Now I can paint the wheels, round the corners of the inserts, and put the tires on in the right direction LOL

I tried the Tamiya tires, but they are too 'plastic' or too old and just came right apart at the sidewall so I left them alone.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #7

oh yeah sorry i forgot to mention that you do have to flip them over after you get the first bead off
maxxman_121 is offline   Reply With Quote